What's new

Two Questions

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obligatory warning/ apology: brand new to pipes, brand new forum member. I tried searching, and came up dry, if this has been covered already let me know and I will delete. (I feel like I should have said "I need an adult")

I used to smoke cigars quite a bit, but stopped a while ago. I recently started pipe smoking and LOVE it. Its everything I liked about cigars, and then some. The problem I'm having is that I really don't know what I'm doing or like quite yet. This brings me to the two questions that I can't seem to figure out.

1. I am coming dangerously close to finishing my first tin (7 seas regular blend) and was planning on picking up a different variety or style to try from a local brick and mortar. I really enjoyed this tin, but I want to see what else is out there and start to close in on what I like. Hunting season starts Sept. 1 and I was really hoping to be able to have some tobacco to smoke while I chase some bushy tails. Any recommendations would be very appreciated.

2. When I started cigar smoking, I was able to buy grab bags or samplers pretty easily from places like Cigars International, and that really helped me to figure things out. I have searched on some online tobacco sites and have not been able to find a comparable thing for pipe tobacco. I'm looking for a package type thing that might have an ounce or so of aromatic, Virginia, English,... If anyone knows of an outfit online that sells such an animal, I would be extremely appreciative of that info as well.

I have absolutely no idea if this will help with suggestions, but I loved Maduro's and absolutely despised any cigar that was peppery (can't think of the proper term, I haven't burnt a stick in a while). Thanks in advance, I really appreciate the help!

Andy

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smoking pipes has a tobacco locator that lets you search for different types (aros, English, etc). There are a lot of bulk tobaccos so you could buy an ounce of a few to make your own sampler. If you didn’t like any pepper in your cigars you might want to avoid blends with perique but the tobacco locator lets you filter for blends without specific components.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Smoking pipes has a tobacco locator that lets you search for different types (aros, English, etc). There are a lot of bulk tobaccos so you could buy an ounce of a few to make your own sampler. If you didn’t like any pepper in your cigars you might want to avoid blends with perique but the tobacco locator lets you filter for blends without specific components.
This^^

Perique can sometimes be spicy, so maybe stay away from blends that have it. Most tobaccos come in 2oz or 50g tins, quite a few can be purchased bulk by the ounce, so small amounts to sample is no problem with pipe tobacco.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0

This a great way to try different blends.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Agree with the others about smoking pipes.com just wanted to add that you can go to tobaccoreviews.com to get an idea of what tobacco’s are in any given blend, look for a revie named Jim inks, his reviews are about as accurate as it gets.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the suggestions, it really helps! I'll keep that in mind about periques when I check out that tobacco locator. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a tobacco shop around me that carries much of a selection at all of pipe tobacco, so I think this is going to have to be online only until I find a good shop. I have been to tobaccoreviews, and that site is great, didn't know about Jim inks, will keep an eye out for him. Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.