What's new

types of plants

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
As I lay in bed last night thinking about cigars ( a common occurrence), I was wondering about the number of types of tobacco plants used for premium cigars. There are multiple geographic regions, multiple ways of fermenting and aging, multiple primings of each plant .... but how many types of plants are there? Cuba has their own genetically modified strains but it seems that there are only so many types of plants commonly used in premium cigars. I'm not considering cigarettes or pipes which have their own varieties. I going to guess around 20-30 varieties. Anyone have a more educated answer?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Cigar Tobacco Leaf Varieties | Holt’s Cigar Company

Is this what you are looking for? The genus Nicotiana is huge and has been cross bred and hybridized both naturally and by humans. I think many growers take advantage of different climates (soil types, amount of rainfall, temperature range, amount of sun etc.) to distinguish their crops from other growers while still using the same plant.

If you really want to geek out about the subject Nicotiana L. (gbif.org)

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
This is quite helpful. I have not seen this information put together in a simple format like this. I wouldn't be surprised if 90% of all premium cigars use variations of these 10 types of plants, grown and processed in a multitude of ways.
Thanks.
Yep the word "different" is pretty broad. Between subspecies (due to geographical separation) and hybrids (due to cross pollination natural and man-made) you can develop a pretty big list.