What's new

Uber $35/hr ?!?!

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
And don't forget you have to claim and pay taxes on every bit of it since it's transmitted electronically

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
You're right...forgot about that, too. Your balance sheet tends to keep going down as far as profits go. Better to LLC yourself....consult your Insurance Provider for complete coverage...write off your car and maintenance on your taxes..etc. Taxi service is what it is for a reason...if you are an Uber Driver at some point you will deal with issues stemming from dealing with the public...all for $14 an hour???? There's always a hidden cost you don't see until it drives up your tailpipe.

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Here in San Diego uber is the best. Most of the other real cab drivers are douche bags and most barely even speak English. Support local American entrepreneurs trying to make money!

But I thought they couldn't accept tips?

:)

Rating - 100%
165   0   0
When I was in NYC I refused to user Uber. Cab drivers and cab companies there spend over $100k for the medallion from the city, so I feel ultimately it is unfair for uber drivers to steal their business after city laws and regulations require cab drivers to pay for their medallions.

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
When I was in NYC I refused to user Uber. Cab drivers and cab companies there spend over $100k for the medallion from the city, so I feel ultimately it is unfair for uber drivers to steal their business after city laws and regulations require cab drivers to pay for their medallions.
So anti-capitalistic...

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Uber drivers also don't have the same amount of regulations, and I don't trust the screening of Uber. I like my capitalism mixed with regulations and laws to insure certain standards are met.
If the standard being met by the average NYC cabbie and cab for safe operation, cleanliness, and polite demeanor meets your requirements.. You have set an incredibly low bar for yourself..

Not sure how you think cab regulation and screening is really getting you something of value... I've yet to ride in a NYC cab that didn't stink of 3 day old tuna melt.. Have had numerous rides with drivers I was sure we're going to kill me.. And plenty of drivers that were frankly dickheads...

Have yet to have a bad experience with uber..

But.. To each his own...

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
If the standard being met by the average NYC cabbie and cab for safe operation, cleanliness, and polite demeanor meets your requirements.. You have set an incredibly low bar for yourself..

Not sure how you think cab regulation and screening is really getting you something of value... I've yet to ride in a NYC cab that didn't stink of 3 day old tuna melt.. Have had numerous rides with drivers I was sure we're going to kill me.. And plenty of drivers that were frankly dickheads...

Have yet to have a bad experience with uber..

But.. To each his own...
Can't beat UberBlack. Wife and I use it in LA and it's great.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Most of his end up being airport runs for people in the area on business. Not a lot of locals use the service.
I think it varies dramatically from market to market.. for example, for a long time Uber and Lyft drivers couldnt do airport pick ups (at least not legally).. The airport had some sort of contract with the cab companies and allowing uber to wait on the airport property would have violated those contracts.. that changed in August of last year though..

In Norfolk, VA Uber still cant do airport pick ups.. My understanding (from my last Uber driver) is that the airport is willing to allow Uber on the property, but is wanting to strong arm them out of some crazy service fees (something to the tune of the airport gets a huge percentage of the fares generated from the airport pick ups, as well as a flat monthly fee, and a flat per pick up fee, etc.. so Uber has basically told them to piss off for now)..

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
oh... the #1 reason I use Uber..

its not the clean cars, fast service, courteous drivers, INTERNATIONAL SERVICE (yes.. you can us Uber ALL OVER THE WORLD.. Anywhere from Riyadh, to London, to Cairo, to Jakarta, to Sao Paulo.. Uber is there.. if you have cell service.. you can punch up the app, and have a ride in 5 minutes).. etc...

the reason I use Uber (in addition to the above) is business traveler support/ease/

No more having to get a receipt from a cabbie, having to keep up with it for the next 10 days while I am bouncing all over the globe, having to do a currency conversion (if I am traveling internationally), scan it all in, etc for an expense report..

Uber sends me an email, with a receipt, already converted to US Dollars, in a standard format, straight to my in box..

All I do is plug in a figure on my expense report and attach the receipt, and I am done..

Hard to beat that..

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
oh... the #1 reason I use Uber..

its not the clean cars, fast service, courteous drivers, INTERNATIONAL SERVICE (yes.. you can us Uber ALL OVER THE WORLD.. Anywhere from Riyadh, to London, to Cairo, to Jakarta, to Sao Paulo.. Uber is there.. if you have cell service.. you can punch up the app, and have a ride in 5 minutes).. etc...

the reason I use Uber (in addition to the above) is business traveler support/ease/

No more having to get a receipt from a cabbie, having to keep up with it for the next 10 days while I am bouncing all over the globe, having to do a currency conversion (if I am traveling internationally), scan it all in, etc for an expense report..

Uber sends me an email, with a receipt, already converted to US Dollars, in a standard format, straight to my in box..

All I do is plug in a figure on my expense report and attach the receipt, and I am done..

Hard to beat that..
Not to mention the best app I've seen:)

They wouldn't allow Uber in Pudong, Shanghai. May have changed since then

I last used in Vegas to get to airport. Same story, picked me up in 4 mi utes, dropped us off, receipt in email for expense....done.

The whole 'you're going to get murdered' talk is the typical absurdity from those afraid of change.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Not to mention the best app I've seen:)

They wouldn't allow Uber in Pudong, Shanghai. May have changed since then

I last used in Vegas to get to airport. Same story, picked me up in 4 mi utes, dropped us off, receipt in email for expense....done.

The whole 'you're going to get murdered' talk is the typical absurdity from those afraid of change.
I don't take taxis either.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Considering there have been a number of major metro area cab drivers convicted for everything from being serial killers (Paul Durousseau), murder, armed robbery, child molestation, etc..etc.. I hardly think the background check required to become a cabbie in most cities is any more thorough or detailed than the background check that Uber conducts.. or that you are any more or less safe...

absurdity is putting it lightly..

Its a completely unsubstantiated argument...

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Considering there have been a number of major metro area cab drivers convicted for everything from being serial killers (Paul Durousseau), murderers, armed robbers, child molesters, etc..etc.. I hardly think the background check required to become a cabbie in most cities is any more thorough or detailed than the background check that Uber conducts.. or that you are any more or less safe...

absurdity is putting it lightly..

Its a completely unsubstantiated argument...
But they need something to latch onto Dave! Don't take that from them:)

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here in San Diego uber is the best. Most of the other real cab drivers are douche bags and most barely even speak English. Support local American entrepreneurs trying to make money!

But I thought they couldn't accept tips?

:)
Have you tried the Zip Car....hourly car rentals....you pick it up at one location and drop it off at another...about $9 an hour?