What's new

Ugh!!! A beetle got my last Headley Grange

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
Let's get back on track....

Im curious about this Beetle debacle. I've heard that freezing doesn't do it? Thoughts?
Also, I feel I've let my guard down on this sort of thing. Seeing these cigars come from a hot climate. Then take into consideration how they are shipped. More so in the summer time. Spending days in the back of red hot trucks. Wouldn't you think that any Beetles would have hatched prior to arriving in yours or my humi??
Just thinking.. Your thoughts?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's get back on track....

Im curious about this Beetle debacle. I've heard that freezing doesn't do it? Thoughts?
Also, I feel I've let my guard down on this sort of thing. Seeing these cigars come from a hot climate. Then take into consideration how they are shipped. More so in the summer time. Spending days in the back of red hot trucks. Wouldn't you think that any Beetles would have hatched prior to arriving in yours or my humi??
Just thinking.. Your thoughts?
I don't know about these particular beetle's but a lot of bugs need "just right" environmental factors to hatch. So it could be that in winter its too cold for them to hatch during transport and in the summer too hot. I'm not entirely sure but my thought process in based on dealing with grubs many moons ago when I had a garden to enjoy getting dirt under my nails in.

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
I don't know about these particular beetle's but a lot of bugs need "just right" environmental factors to hatch. So it could be that in winter its too cold for them to hatch during transport and in the summer too hot. I'm not entirely sure but my thought process in based on dealing with grubs many moons ago when I had a garden to enjoy getting dirt under my nails in.
I guess that makes some sense. Which in turn puts more worry on the rest of us. Damn.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Dude, that not a beetle, that the dreaded cigar crab.
But seriously, sorry you had damage on such a fine cigar. If it was me, I would put my cigars in double bagged 1 gallon baggies and freeze them for 2 days. Then a few hours in the fridge followed by about an hour on the counter before returning them to a well cleaned humidor. I thought most non cuban cigar makers treated their tobacco to kill the eggs, but apparently you had a prepper ready to bugout (yeah, I know).