What's new

"Underground" Supper Clubs

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I was curious if anyone has any of these underground supper clubs in their area? If so, have you taken part in any dinners organzed by them?

Unfortunately, I live in an area that seems to not have a lot of "foodies". But have been milling some ideas around in my feeble little mind.

Just curious if anyone on here is aware of these, and if you have participated.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
If you mean pop up restaurants, I have been invited to a couple in the LA area. One was a roof top venue open for two weeks, the second a beach venue only open a week. Both were highly inventive in their dishes and invitation came by email.

itallushrt

hero
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Nah he means private supper clubs. They are quite popular here in the south and held at a residence.

Frank never been involved in one either but would really like to be.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Ah. I have seen this advertised but usually as a fund raiser. Also home concerts. Small personal venue with some decent artists.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Pop-up restaurants are basically a form of underground supper club. I'd still love to try either one.

I've done chef for hire dinners in people's homes before. But more like a catering gig. Been a while since I've had one of those. I have this thought of trying to get a supper club thing going.

itallushrt

hero
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
CWS, here is a good description of traditional supper clubs. Garden and Gun is a great magazine btw.

http://gardenandgun.com/article/secret-suppers?page=0,1

I also saw this article recently and thought it was rather amazing. Knowing Americans...the NYC version they are going to try to pull off will end up being a disaster. (renting out tables for example :wtf:)

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/06/dining/a-pop-up-paris-picnic-is-coming-to-new-york.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

As to the pop up restaurants I have heard of such and they definitely sound interesting. Would be cool to be invited and take one in sometime.