What's new

Upmann Magnum 50 EL2005

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I'm new here, but I have been smoking cigars on and off for about 10 years, but I have been truly appreciating them for about a year. Anyway, I went to Grand Cayman this past summer and had the privilage of smoking some great habanos - BBF, Siglo VI, Sublimes, Monte #2 (I was not real impressed with this one) and RyJ petite piramides. There is something about the EL lines of late that have me wanting to buy as many boxes as possible. So, I had a box of these Magnum 50's shipped my way, and I am having a hard time keeping them in my humidor. They have a chocolately appearance and when I picked the first one up it was like holding a piece of silk. Large ring gauge at 50. Pre-light draw was smooth without plugs tasting a bit like chocolate. Lit perfectly and held the hard, grey ash like a champ. My palate is young still yet, so I am not the best at picking out all the subtle tastes. It was definitely a smooth cigar that burnt relatively cool and had medium to full body. The first one I smoked left me wanting to eat up the last bit of it, but sadly I let it burn out as a nub. My next venture will be for the Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure Especial EL 2004.

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
:welcome:

A review as your first post? That's awesome! I have a couple mag50's and haven't heard much on them other than in comparison to mag46's. I think I'll smoke one tonight though.

Enjoy the site! We have an Introductions forum if you would like to make one there as well.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Glad to have you here and great review. The Mag50 I smoked was very mild and indescript. Hopefully that will change with age.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
cvm4 said:
Glad to have you here and great review. The Mag50 I smoked was very mild and indescript. Hopefully that will change with age.
That kind of fits the way Upmann's tend to be. Bland at first and then opening up with some age. I however did not get the mild part, it was stronger than what I am used to for a young Upmann. Don't the EL's use aged wrappers? Maybe this is what accounts for that.

BTW, welcome to BOTL pharmgator!!!!

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
tubaman said:
That kind of fits the way Upmann's tend to be. Bland at first and then opening up with some age. I however did not get the mild part, it was stronger than what I am used to for a young Upmann. Don't the EL's use aged wrappers? Maybe this is what accounts for that.

BTW, welcome to BOTL pharmgator!!!!
Good to hear Tuba :thumbsup: I haven't smoked many Upmann and am not sure how they develop. I will say I smoked it after a light meal and it was mild to me at best. Hoping mine develop like your's! :clap:

EL's use 2 year old wrapper, IIRC.