What's new

US Removes Cuba from State Sponsored Terrorism list

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Interesting articles posted around in the last hour or two about it:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/30/us/us-removes-cuba-from-state-terrorism-list.html

In this one, Sen. Udall says it will be a matter of weeks before normalized relations, and that "There is bipartisan support for separate pieces of legislation that would permanently end a ban on travel, allow trade in agricultural goods and enable U.S. telecommunications and Internet companies to provide services and devices in Cuba."
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/sen-tom-udall-in-cuba-says-normalized-relations-just-weeks-away/

Interesting stuff.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Glad I stocked up on what I like...if this thing goes through I see it going squirrely within a month...but at least I'd be able to travel there and scratch another place off my bucket list. Just don't break my heart, Fredo!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I heard all trade embargo(s) lifted by years end, from a very reliable source.

I'll bet on it.
Call me a skeptic, but I have a hard time believing change will come that quickly. We seem to be at odd's stilll on quite a few subjects and although congress let this de-listing through relatively unopposed, I imagine they'd put up a bit more of a fight to completely lifting the Embargo.

Mr. McSquirelly

Joe Bananas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Cuba currently has two currencies; until they reconcile them and form a single currency, I don't see the embargo being lifted. Raul Castro has also stated that he wants U.S. taxpayers to remunerate Cuba for the Embargo. Republicans will never agree to that. Here's an article from the Economist describing Cuba's current currency problems:

http://www.economist.com/news/americas/21651292-tricky-task-unifying-crazy-system-exchange-rates-day-zero-or-d-day?zid=305&ah=417bd5664dc76da5d98af4f7a640fd8a

Here are the terms Raul Castro wants:

1. The US Naval base in Guantanamo Bay be returned to Cuba;
  2. The US stop broadcasting anti-Castro radio/TV into the island;
  3. The US pay hundreds of millions of dollars in damages for losses due to the embargo.
Honestly, I don't see any drastic changes until Raul resigns and the communist government moves to a parliamentary democracy. But what the hell do I know. There's a ton of money to be made in Cuba, and we have the best politicians money can buy.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Glad I stocked up on what I like...if this thing goes through I see it going squirrely within a month...but at least I'd be able to travel there and scratch another place off my bucket list. Just don't break my heart, Fredo!
Time to stock up.

Rating - 100%
67   0   0
I read recently that even if they lifted the embargo tomorrow we would still not have Cubans imported due to trade mark issues. Most brands have duplicate companies who own the name in the states. Them after that gets removed new restrictions in allowing new tobacco companies could stop the import at the gov red tape level.

Mr. McSquirelly

Joe Bananas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Great article. Thanks. This part is frightening for cigar makers right now:

"3. The FDA Could Ruin Everything

If the embargo is lifted and the trademark disputes are worked out, then we can buy Cuban cigars, right? Wrong.

When Barack Obama signed the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act in 2009, regulatory power over tobacco was granted to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Initially the FDA focused on cigarettes and smokeless tobacco, but earlier this year the agency announced plans to extend its authority to other tobacco products, including cigars.

The FDA has outlined two approaches to doing this. The agency’s so-called “Option 2″ would create an exemption for premium cigars, allowing them to be sold under less scrutiny than cigarettes. The proposed standards for this exemption are problematic in a couple ways, such as setting an effective price floor for cigars and banning all characterizing flavors (see my article in theDaily Beast for details). Despite these flaws, Option 2 would leave the door open for eventual Cuban imports.

The FDA’s “Option 1”, however, would be very bad news for new cigars of all kinds, including Cubans. Option 1 treats cigars just like cigarettes. Under the Tobacco Control Act, any tobacco products that were not commercially marketed in the United States as of February 15, 2007, must receive explicit approval by the FDA before being introduced. Winning approval is virtually impossible. As of my last coverage on the topic for Reason, only two new cigarettes had ever made it through the process, while thousands of product applications continue to languish in bureaucratic limbo.

There were a lot of cigars legally on the market in 2007, but obviously none of them were Cuban. We don’t know yet know which option the FDA will choose, but Option 1 would have a disastrous impact on innovation in the cigar market. All Cuban imports and any new Cuban blends would have to get past FDA regulators, whose record on cigarettes suggests that this would be a very high hurdle. It's plausible that President Obama will be remembered both for helping end the Cuban embargo and for signing the poorly crafted Tobacco Control Act that creates a de facto embargo on Cuban cigars all over again.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed for something like Option 2. It is possible that the FDA could move the date for grandfathering in new products forward from 2007; several congressmen, including Speaker of the House John Boehner (R-Ohio), recently urged the FDA to do so in light of the law's impact on cigars and e-cigarettes."

F-ing FDA!!! Wish they would spend more money, time, and energy trying to keep Monsanto from poisoning our food supply and genetically altering our grains and veggies. If the FDA takes Option 1, where does that leave all the new brands after 2007? It would wipe out the whole industry. A potential crazy political move by Cubatabaco would be to make sure all the brands post-2007 don't get FDA approval, while all Habanos S.A. brands get fast-tracked through the approval process before the Embargo is lifted!!!

I also read last night that Altadis has a 50-percent stake in Cubatabaco as its worldwide distributor. They produce only two duplicate brands, Romeo y Julieta and Montecristo. So if the Embargo has been lifted, those will be the only brands we will see immediately available in the U.S. General Cigar Co., a subsidiary of Swedish Match, will have to settle their long-contested copyright dispute with Cubatabaco/Habanos S.A./Altadis/Imperial Tobacco before the remaining brands become available in the U.S. market. That dispute will be the stuff of legend. General Cigar Co. will be literally fighting for its life and billions of dollars.

Last edited:

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
IF we're smart we'll just stockpile what we like as that seems to be our only recourse these days. The handwriting on the wall is anti tobacco is going to win this war as they have the money and power to win.....we are a very small minority with barely enough funds to compete so if you're a cigar smoker then order what you like and watch the fireworks from your own property. It's a sad commentary on what Gov't deems appropriate and subjugating those who don't do anything except smoke a cigar...while the rest of Rome burns. The hypocrisy by which it operates should be more important than a cigar....but that's a whole other debate.

Addendum: Stats say that cigarette smoking is on the decline since 2001 - 2011 by 33% which should tell us how powerful the anti smoking lobby is. Taxes on tobacco are extreme but what they aren't taking into context is that the "flavored cigarillos" are now on the upswing because they are far cheaper and the kids love em for obvious reasons. Cigars are on the upswing with kids and adults so expect an all out war in this area of tobacco with more taxes. Much like Prohibition we'll always see somebody selling them but at what cost....and the cost of doing business as a Cigar B&M will double within the next few years so for those who seem to always want to open up a business think carefully....Cigars and tobacco are a target! What isn't a target are those people who think outside the box when considering catering to those who still enjoy and buy their cigars...provide a place for them to smoke and incorporate a safe environment where people can congregate to enjoy it. Some are thinking about "Party Boats" or something of that nature where they get to control the environment where cigars and people can band together and enjoy themselves. I wish I was younger as I would invest the $$$ to buy a party boat that could hold 50 people and then charge for a 4 hour "cruise" where hobbyists could BYOCigars and the Owner would have a bar onsite...$25 p/p or $100 for a group of 5 thus saving $25 right off the bat. Just an idea.....

Last edited:

driver

Attitude + Effort = Results
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
When is the guestamation when the FDA will be screwing this up for us. Need to know when i'll have to buy the mother load.

luckysaturn13

Smoke it if ya got it!
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Cuba currently has two currencies; until they reconcile them and form a single currency, I don't see the embargo being lifted. Raul Castro has also stated that he wants U.S. taxpayers to remunerate Cuba for the Embargo. Republicans will never agree to that. Here's an article from the Economist describing Cuba's current currency problems:

http://www.economist.com/news/americas/21651292-tricky-task-unifying-crazy-system-exchange-rates-day-zero-or-d-day?zid=305&ah=417bd5664dc76da5d98af4f7a640fd8a

Here are the terms Raul Castro wants:

1. The US Naval base in Guantanamo Bay be returned to Cuba;
  2. The US stop broadcasting anti-Castro radio/TV into the island;
  3. The US pay hundreds of millions of dollars in damages for losses due to the embargo.
Honestly, I don't see any drastic changes until Raul resigns and the communist government moves to a parliamentary democracy. But what the hell do I know. There's a ton of money to be made in Cuba, and we have the best politicians money can buy.
not saying we should write them a check but its funny how opposed they would be to that but we can loose a half bil of h ummers to Isis that we just gave the Iraqi army and no one cares or wants to take accountability