What's new

USB Help Needed

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Well I've had this problem for a few months now and haven't been able to figure out a solution yet so if any of the brothers here can help me out it would be much appreciated.

I have a Thinkpad T42 and for the last couple of months every time I plug in any external drive or device into my usb ports a message balloon pops up saying this usb device can work faster if plugged into a usb2.0 device.

Now I've tried every thing I know; I've reinstalled the drivers, looked for updates, installed the updates. I even formatted my computer in an attempt to get the stupid ports which I know are USB2.0 to work properly but nothing.

Please please please give me a solution to this before I end up tossing my laptop out the window.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
While googling the issue some guy with a T40 said all he did was roll back the drivers and the issue was fixed.. my problem is I just formatted it hours ago so every thing's stock I have nothing to roll back to.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
from google:

I updated the driver using the following process:

1) Right clicked on the USB 2.0 controller in Device Manager
2) Selected Properties
3) Selected 'Driver' Tab
4) Clicked 'Update Driver'
5) Selected 'No, not this time'
6) Selected '...specific location'
7) Selected 'Don't search...'
This is where there was a list of 3 drivers.
9) I selected the 3rd driver in the list, the one which isn't digitally signed. Also it contains the word 'USB2' not 'USB 2.0' in it's name.
10) Tested the USB 2 device and it's running at USB 2 speed!