What's new

Using Damprid in a humidor?

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Hey gang. So the humididy where is live is REALLY high (in the 90%s rH right now). The beads aren't able to keep up, and my sticks are starting to get soft.

I got some Damprid pouches, and they are lowering the rH, but they're starting to leak ... I didn't realize that this stuff is supposed to suck out the humidity and then secrete it. The real Damprid containers are too big to use in my bins, so I'm wondering if any of you guys have used this stuff and what you did to get it to work well in a humi.

Thanks!
Nate

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Well never had to deal with that kind of humidity in a humidor and never tried damp rid i have used white rice to dry out a jewlery box. baking soda will also work.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Well never had to deal with that kind of humidity in a humidor and never tried damp rid i have used white rice to dry out a jewlery box. baking soda will also work.
+1 or small silica packets
Like the ones you find in medicine bottles?

Good thread I've had severe mould issues in my humidors due to nearly 100% humidity where I live it's a nuisance keeping up.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I use damprid religiously in my humidor in order to keep my sticks at 65. I buy them in bulk and put few ounces in 3 little plastic trays 4"x4"x1/2" in my aristocrat and it'll reduce about 10% in 24hrs. They do collect water and you'll begin to see little puddles of water after few hours. I usually take the damprid out when it hits around 58% and it stabilizes to around 60-62 in few days. It'll then slowly rise and within few months it'll be back up to high 60s when I do another damprid treatment.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I use damprid religiously in my humidor in order to keep my sticks at 65. I buy them in bulk and put few ounces in 3 little plastic trays 4"x4"x1/2" in my aristocrat and it'll reduce about 10% in 24hrs. They do collect water and you'll begin to see little puddles of water after few hours. I usually take the damprid out when it hits around 58% and it stabilizes to around 60-62 in few days. It'll then slowly rise and within few months it'll be back up to high 60s when I do another damprid treatment.
Thanks bro! So it works fine to just dump some of it into a little container and put it in the bin that way? I'm guessing the liquid won't re-humidify the cigars since it's saturated in the crystals ...

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Thanks bro! So it works fine to just dump some of it into a little container and put it in the bin that way? I'm guessing the liquid won't re-humidify the cigars since it's saturated in the crystals ...
The standing water just sits there until you dump them out. I probably could fill up a little shot glass with all the water I get from 3 trays but I guess it all depends on size of your humi. Mine is a smaller aristocrat end table model. Holds maybe 5-600 sticks.