What's new

Usps

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Wasn't sure where to put this thread.

The thing is I'm getting a new job at a Porsche/Audi dealership in Ann Arbor, so I'll be leaving Subaru at the end of next week. Good news is much better pay and a much better position. Bad news is as follows...

Won't be able to post on here during the day anymore unfortunately.

The other bad news is that I can't make it to the post office any leisurely time I feel like it as I won't have late days where I come in at 11 am. I don't have a printer at home so I can't do the click-n-ship. I'm not sure how I'll be able to send out packages through USPS now, the hours my local post office is open is like Mon-Fri 7-5...no way I can make it in that timeframe.

Any ideas? Can you just buy pre-paid labels or something and just have them pick up a package at the house?? I know they have pre-paid envelopes...but I'd like to continue sending my gars out in the VHS size boxes. I'm sure some of you brothers out there run into this problem as well.

Thoughts appreciated.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
They have prepaid stamps you can buy for $3.85 each. But that doesn't include a DC#. Also, I check the time on other post offices and see if some are open later then others. Mine shuts down at 4:30 but I think the downtown post office shuts down at 6:00. And finally, I know that some post offices in my area have installed "do you own checkout" where you can buy what you need and check yourself out and put it wherever they say to when you're through. Just some things to help you out :thumbsup:

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
fredneck said:
They have 4 locations in Ann Arbor and include tracking info.

Awesome, Greg. Where did you find those?? I went to MBE.com and they didn't give any locations in or near Ann Arbor.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Wasch_24 said:
Lunch break?

Saturdays?

Saturday's I can do...but not in the town of Ann Arbor. I live about 45 minutes from work near Jackson Michigan.

Lunch breaks are out because I won't have time to really take a "break"...more of a sit and eat real quick between repair orders.

If I can find out how the search function works on mbe.com I'll be able to find some locations closer to home and I'll start mailing everything out on Saturday's.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
fredneck said:
Its mailboxes etc.

Yeah I know that. The mbe.com website says mailboxes etc. It has a business locator, but when I popped in Ann Arbor MI and Jackson MI it didn't give any locations. I must be screwin somethin up.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
cvm4 said:
They have prepaid stamps you can buy for $3.85 each. But that doesn't include a DC#. Also, I check the time on other post offices and see if some are open later then others. Mine shuts down at 4:30 but I think the downtown post office shuts down at 6:00. And finally, I know that some post offices in my area have installed "do you own checkout" where you can buy what you need and check yourself out and put it wherever they say to when you're through. Just some things to help you out :thumbsup:

Thanks Cliff. Where do you get the pre-paid stamps from? And, I thought they run 4.05 before DC? I'm guessing you can just buy a bunch from the post office, then just slap it on a VHS box and pop it in the mailbox for outbound just like an envelope?

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
MM...yes you can mail any box with enough stamps on it. You can wrap it in plain brown paper, slap stamps on it, and mail it. If you don't want to overstamp you can get a cheap scale.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
FPDoc77 said:
MM...yes you can mail any box with enough stamps on it. You can wrap it in plain brown paper, slap stamps on it, and mail it. If you don't want to overstamp you can get a cheap scale.

That would make sense wouldn't it? The USPS has a way of overcomplicating things lol. I found that the USPS website currently sells 4.05 stamps, but they indicate that they're for the Priority Envelopes...I'm currently calling USPS phone numbers to find out if I can buy them in rolls and just slap them on the boxes....will update.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Well I called the 800 number for USPS...and after 3 customer service agents who didn't know what a Priority Mail box was (not the flat rate one!!!)..a supervisor told me that I can pop my items in a VHS size box....put the 4.05 stamp on there and schedule a carrier pickup for free...or I could probably just put the box in the mail with the red flag up and they'd pick it up that way too. If it was overweight they'll just send it back with a note for postage due. So it looks like I can order a bundle of the 4.05 stamps online or get them from the post office...sweet!!! My last week is next week so I'll go in and get like 40 of the bad boys. That'll last a while. Hopefully this is good info for anyone who doesn't use click-n-ship.

Thanks guys.