What's new

Varnished vs Unvarnished

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Occasionally I see references to varnished and unvarnished cigars. What does this mean, and which is preferable?

Thanks,

Mike

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Shawn,

I read it again today, a guy was smoking an unvarnished cigar? PM me and I'll give you some other examples.

Mike

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
It refers to the box.

One is varnished and the other isn't. The varnished box is generally preferred for ageing as the varnish seals the pores in the wood thus reducing the amount of oxygen exchanging inside the box.

As to which is preferred as far as tatse goes, that is entirely up to each individual. For the most part the two cigars are different vitolas as in the case of the Partagas 898 and 898v.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Wasch_24 said:
It refers to the box.

One is varnished and the other isn't. The varnished box is generally preferred for ageing as the varnish seals the pores in the wood thus reducing the amount of oxygen exchanging inside the box.

As to which is preferred as far as tatse goes, that is entirely up to each individual. For the most part the two cigars are different vitolas as in the case of the Partagas 898 and 898v.
I knew a FOG would have the answer. Mike I had wondered the same thing but it was a question I never asked. Thanks Wasch thats very good info.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I was just looking through a supplier and noticed that they offered a brand of cigars in a varnished box, or twice as many in a cab. The light came on. Guess I'll have to check my reading comprehension on what I think I saw this earlier today.

Wasch, you must have had a hard 28 years to be so young and still be a FOG!

Mike

Rating - 90%
11   1   0
FPDoc77 said:
I feel old now...thanks. :grin:
OK. How old are you? I'll be 34 end of the month and for the first time, I feel like i'm getting older!!!! I find myself scratching my ass more often like my dad does!!! Now that is sad!!!!!

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
ohpus said:
OK. How old are you? I'll be 34 end of the month and for the first time, I feel like i'm getting older!!!! I find myself scratching my ass more often like my dad does!!! Now that is sad!!!!!
I'm 32. Scratching your ass more than your dad. :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.