Vegas Robaina Famosos (05/11)

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0

Construction: Great

Cold draw: LOTS of cinnamon, earthy tobacco, bit of an espresso

1/3:

Chewy, meaty smoke. Lots of it. EXTREMELY smooth and creamy. Tons of caramel. Good amounts of honey, and the slightest amount of cinnamon on the finish. Flavors are very strong, but nicotine strength seems to be almost non-existent. I will have to keep an eye on any changes there.

Part of the creaminess is coming from an actual cream flavor. A few notes of a bold sugar, something like brown sugar.

Honestly, it is like smoking a Caramel Frappuccino from Starbuck’s. Astoundingly similar.

2/3:

Still lots of caramel. But the coffee counterpart to it is coming through more. Still lots of honey. The cinnamon comes through, occasionally, in strong notes.

The creaminess has evolved into a vanilla.

First ash fell a couple puffs into the second third.

There is a fruitiness that I can’t quite pinpoint, but it is very much enjoyable.

3/3:

Same flavors, but the sweetness has taken a backseat to the coffee and dried fruit. The cinnamon still pops in from time to time.

A little bit of nuttiness is also being incorporated into the mix.

Smoking time: 1:09 to the nub. The fact that I nubbed it says a lot about the cigar, seeing as there are very few cigars I will bother to smoke past the final inch or so.

For me, this was an incredible cigar. I could smoke these all day, every day. I know many CC people prefer stuff with lots of age, and I want to know how these age. BUT, they are smoking phenomenally right now… and my remaining few probably won’t survive much longer. From start to finish, I would compare this to a Starbuck's caramel frapp... just one that starts sweet, and ends with more coffee than caramel.

BMack

Some say I'm a dreamer...
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Great review, have heard a lot of good things about VR lately. Vanilla, brown sugar...ummm SOLD!

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Nice review

For some reason the VR line flies under the radar. It's too bad as I feel they are one of the best marcas out there.

And the Famoso is an excellent cigar that ages nicely.

Rating - 100%
153   0   0
Had a 08 Famosos the other day. No cinnamon or honey. Just loads of chocolate and almond. Really like VR with a few years on them, not a huge fan of fresh ones but know some people that prefer them fresh

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Had a 08 Famosos the other day. No cinnamon or honey. Just loads of chocolate and almond. Really like VR with a few years on them, not a huge fan of fresh ones but know some people that prefer them fresh
I prefer them with age too.

That chocolate almond flavor that they get with age makes it seem like your smoking a cake.

Zedman05

Fiend4theLeaf
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
These cigars with a bit of age on them are my front-runner for favorite regular production cigar. I have some from 06 that are amazing ! Great review, I agree with almost everything you said. I too get a lot of coffee undertones with these and a caramel sweetness.
Spot on !

Zedman05

Fiend4theLeaf
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I have had a few more of these in the last few months since I last posted. These cigars with only a month or two on them smoke fantastically, and have a lot of that coffee undertone that you are impressed with. It seems the downside on these is around 4-6 months, as I just lit one up from a May 12 box and it seems to be in the transition period.
Still LOVE these cigars, and apparently will be laying them down for another 6 months at least.
Good review brother, I re-read the review, and it was spot on once again.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Been looking at these for my next box. I can't say if they are underrated our not, but they are certainly under the radar. Thx for the review.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the review. I haven't smoked one yet although there is one sitting in my humidor. I did try the Classicos recently and was very impressed with it. It seems like the VR line may be a sleeper as a whole.

Zedman... I'd appreciate hearing what you thought about them after they came out of their sick period. I haven't hear much about the VR line with age on it besides the Don Alejandro.

David C. Serna

Hasta la Victoria Siempre
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Nice review

For some reason the VR line flies under the radar. It's too bad as I feel they are one of the best marcas out there.

And the Famoso is an excellent cigar that ages nicely.
I agree. The Robaina's I've got that are smoking real good now are the Unicos (always great) and the '07 Espana Regional Editon Maestros. Please note, AZCigarNut.