What's new

Venison spare rib help

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I generally dont cook/eat the internal organs... although I know people that believe the liver, heart, etc.. are the absolute best parts of the animal...

for the most part I pull out the tenderloins, take a few steaks off the hind quarters.. and then grind up everything else and turn it into "ground venison".. I use the ground meat for everything from making jerky to sausage, etc... occasionally Ill blend some in with ground beef to make "wild" burgers, meat loaf, etc... although the fat content is a little low for that unless you use a pretty low grade of ground beef (75/25, or even 70/30.. etc..)...

All I know right now is this thread is making me VERY hungry... and Im down to about 15lbs of venison left in the freezer...

Its time to take the rifle to the range, confirm zero, and start prepping for next season! :grin:

rev.b

Master of Mayhem * BoM 1/14
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Dave the deer down here look like horses just ask ole Hank Jr.. His place is bout 15 miles from here. Best white tail in the world;)

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I need to find a good place closer to home this year.. Ive got a couple of different hunting spots on the other end of the state.. but its a 5 hour drive to get to them.. so I end up heading out friday after work.. driving all evening.. then getting up at the crack of dawn.. hunting all day.. processesing all night (assuming we kill something).. and then driving all day the next morning.. so that I can get back to work the next day...

We've got some land out in CO thats got monster sized mule deer all over it.. but it creates a similar situation... gotta fly out there.. spend a couple of days on the property.. if we kill something its a huge ordeal processing it and getting the meat back home.. etc..etc..

Ive been thinking about joining a club or a lodge somewhere within an hour or so of here.. so I can just get up on a saturday morning during season.. go to the woods for a couple of hours.. fill up the freezer.. and be back home drinking apple pie and smoking stogies by lunch time... :)

rev.b

Master of Mayhem * BoM 1/14
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
luckily i can pop them fuggers off my front porch. ducks too actually since i live rt at a lake. I'd like to do some seriously big game soon. a friend lives in Wyoming and she keeps breaking my chops about coming up and do some huntin'

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Looking awesome!

Did you peel the membrane off the back of them (forgot to mention that earlier.. And since you don't do ribs often.. I wasn't sure if you're aware of this step...)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Looking awesome!

Did you peel the membrane off the back of them (forgot to mention that earlier.. And since you don't do ribs often.. I wasn't sure if you're aware of this step...)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did Dave, but thanks for mentioning it. I have some Johnny Harris BBQ sauce to bath them in while the cook, and that mustard based mop too.

Sent from an NSA proof phone.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
So, they turned out pretty good. Not great but pretty good. They were a bit tough, but I think it was a combo of the type of meat and me cooking them a little fast. Dave, the brine worked great, hardly any game taste. For a first effort I am happy with them. Thanks for all the help. Now, what does one smoke after a meal if venison?

Sent from an NSA proof phone.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
post deer smoke for me is always something med-full bodied.. dressed in a nice dark wrapper :)

LP#9... or perhaps JdN Antano come to mind :)