What's new

Viaje Burn Issues

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Anybody experiencing SEVERE burn issues with the new releases? So far, I've had one VPR and one C-4 that had what I can only call "wet spots", where they flat out would not burn over significant portions of the cigar (approx 3/4" in length and covering 33-50% of the circumference). Touch up and re-light attempts on these wet spots did NOTHING.

For note, other VPRs and C-4's as well as non-Viaje's smoked fine over the same period. All had been rested for at least a week after receipt in 68 degree/65% humidity storage.

Not looking for replacements, or to start a complaint thread here. Just trying to make sure I can actually enjoy my remaining Viaje LE's without issue. Thanks!

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Try dry-boxing the cigar for a few hours before you smoke it next time. It's not uncommon to have 1-2 cigars with issues in a box.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny, smoking a Zombie now and have the same issue. Just saw this thread.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Smoked a zombie and tower 45 recently and both smoked fine.. In fact I'd say the tower may have been a little loose if anything; it smoked fast. The zombie had an awesome taste followed with a kick in the ass.. The tower also was very enjoyable..

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Every single Viaje I have ever smoked had burn or construction issues. For what its worth, I still think some of them are pretty good cigars.

Rating - 100%
153   0   0
No problems with VOR or WLP 50/50 smoked recently. I have not had any of my C-4's yet. I personally don't mind having to touch up a cigar once in a while as long as it tastes good.

Farani

Actually a Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
I smoke A LOT of Viaje, and I do get the occasional stick that requires a touchup. It's never a horrific burn line like some brands I've smoked. I get plenty of Tatuaje that require touchups, too. I know at this point you're saying to yourself: "Tatuaje is rolled by Jesus himself! Bad burns are impossible, and any burn issues you are having are clearly because you're seeing them wrong! Get your eyes checked!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
being that the zombie, c4 and reserva are closed on both ends they are
taking a while longer to dry up. I don't think dry boxing
for a few hours will help. weeks maybe months.

BrooksW

BoM June '09
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
being that the zombie, c4 and reserva are closed on both ends they are
taking a while longer to dry up. I don't think dry boxing
for a few hours will help. weeks maybe months.
Yes, and add to that it seems that most Viajes are shipped wet to varying degrees (with the notable exception of the Tower 45th, as they aged in boxes for about 6 months before being shipped out)...

Viajes ALWAYS do better with a bit of rest...In fact, the VOR I got from Mark at Tower are so wet, I can't review them yet, have to wait...(not Mark's fault, obviously, just wanted to put a shout out ;)

~brooks

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Ive heard that juat about all the Viaje LEs ship a little wet and it does seem like that in my expierence as well.

All of the Viajes Ive had have improved, sometimes significantly, with at least a bit of age.

Case in point, I just had a 50/50 WLP on saturday and it was terrific. I also had one right after I got them from NHC and they were totally different not bad, but different, not as good as I expected them to be. ROTT they were very earthy, muted and didnt have a ton of the Viaje floral flavor. With even the short rest the earthyness was all but gone and it had that nice bomb of floral flavor Ive only found in a Viaje cigar. It was still a bit tight even then so they can still benefit from more rest.

I was going to stop with a 5ver of those, but after that one Ill definilty be picking more up if they have some next time Im at the B&M.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Yes, and add to that it seems that most Viajes are shipped wet to varying degrees (with the notable exception of the Tower 45th, as they aged in boxes for about 6 months before being shipped out)...

Viajes ALWAYS do better with a bit of rest...In fact, the VOR I got from Mark at Tower are so wet, I can't review them yet, have to wait...(not Mark's fault, obviously, just wanted to put a shout out ;)

~brooks
......x2. They always benefit from some down time.

Dread

I sell cigars
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Im not touching my 50/50 WLP's for at least a few months. I dont know how you guys that buy up most of the LE's deal with this though. I can understand one or 2 lines shipping a bit wet but it seems like most Viajes shipped soaked and are borderline unsmokable.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Had another Viaje last night and there are "issues" with the burn and I had this one locked up at 65% for a few months. IMO this is a cigar that just doesn't do it for me..reminds me of a Nub Habano..it's a one trick pony for me but for those who enjoy it that's all that matters.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Every Viaje I have smoked, 10+ have had burn issues. No other cigar manufactorer gives me issues with burning. Maybe they need to be kept in the lower 60s vs 65 where I keep my sticks.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Im not touching my 50/50 WLP's for at least a few months. I dont know how you guys that buy up most of the LE's deal with this though. I can understand one or 2 lines shipping a bit wet but it seems like most Viajes shipped soaked and are borderline unsmokable.
Yeah dont know. I have to stop chasing them like I have been, dont have as much extra money as I did before. That and just the glut of releases that hit all at once I just cant afford them all. Ill wander down to my B&M and see what they have here soon. Ill grab some and Ill get what I get from whatever they have left. No big deal.

Next thing in the rotation is Im gonna start beefing up my Tat collection, lol.