What's new

Villiger just lost my business

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Capitalism at it's ugliest. As much as we'd like to believe few are the companies out there whose benevolence doesn't stem from tax benefit. Since most big companies CEO's and psychopaths and Boards of Directors are of the same ilk, it comes as no surprise.

As customers we want Walmart and Costco to keep prices low and the only way that happens is by squeezing labor and suppliers who squeeze their suppliers and so forth and so on.

So behavior like this will persist until we stop supporting these firms with our hard earned money.

Sorry for the rant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very true...about 23 years ago, I started a business repairing major appliances...back then, a washer, dryer, frig, would last you twenty years or more. Today...you MIGHT get eight to ten years out of a frig. Figure three to five years out of a washer. And forget about buying a high quality washer...they don't make ANY that I'm aware of.

And the reason stated above is why. Americans are cheap...the bottom line isn't quality...it's the price. And we really don't give a rip about the ramifications. And I guarantee ya something...this Villigier company ain't the only cigar company mistreating and underpaying its employees all in the interest of the bottom.

Pontificate if you must. If it makes you feel better because you "support human rights"...rant on. None of us really, truly, give a rip. Not as a society, and not really as individuals.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Very true...about 23 years ago, I started a business repairing major appliances...back then, a washer, dryer, frig, would last you twenty years or more. Today...you MIGHT get eight to ten years out of a frig. Figure three to five years out of a washer. And forget about buying a high quality washer...they don't make ANY that I'm aware of.

And the reason stated above is why. Americans are cheap...the bottom line isn't quality...it's the price. And we really don't give a rip about the ramifications. And I guarantee ya something...this Villigier company ain't the only cigar company mistreating and underpaying its employees all in the interest of the bottom.

Pontificate if you must. If it makes you feel better because you "support human rights"...rant on. None of us really, truly, give a rip. Not as a society, and not really as individuals.
Exactly my sentiment. Are we really that shocked by this? Rollers make chicken scratch I can only Imagine what farm laborers make. Open your eyes take a look around there are lots of companies cutting jobs. Its nothing new. We all walk around in our foreign clothes stitched by 10 year olds. Take a look at the diamonds your wife probably has. Those were harvested by children. Im not saying what Villiger did was right. I am saying that most of us support Corporations who have and continue to treat their employees like slaves.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Exactly my sentiment. Are we really that shocked by this? Rollers make chicken scratch I can only Imagine what farm laborers make. Open your eyes take a look around there are lots of companies cutting jobs. Its nothing new. We all walk around in our foreign clothes stitched by 10 year olds. Take a look at the diamonds your wife probably has. Those were harvested by children. Im not saying what Villiger did was right. I am saying that most of us support Corporations who have and continue to treat their employees like slaves.
Nike?

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So let me get this straight...
People are defending this sort of thing now just because there's other companies with more unethical business practices? What kind of BS is that? It's one thing when you don't know better but to be naive when you've been enlightened should hurt your soul. I don't think the people saying these things would be whistling the same tune if they were one of the reps that got bent over the barrel.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I don't consider myself an activist by any stretch of the imagination but when I hear about companies doing shitty stuff like this it would definitely affect my decision to do business with them in the future.

My memory is about as porous as every other average American and my distain reflects in the severity of the offense in my opinion. That being said I've smoked maybe 2 Villiger sticks in my life so IMO with all the other quality smokes out there I don't give a shit if I ever smoke one again.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I'm sorry bro I don't see much of a parallel here. Getting stranded on the road selling someone's product for them is a world of difference from getting a shitty paycheck to begin with. Just cause you work in a factory doesn't mean you should be able to afford what's produced there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Okay I wont say anything more about it. We all have our take on life. I agree though, FUCK Villiger and everyone has a right to support or not support whatever businesses they see fit.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I see your point and my bad I was getting the impression you felt it was justified just because others have it worse.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Lol so just for shits & giggles I emailed Villiger. This was their response.

Dear Mr. Foster:

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us regarding your concerns over the restructuring that has started to unfold over the past few days.

While we respect the opinion of those in the media as well as those who are very close or directly affected by the situation, it would not be prudent to comment in another other way than to say things are not always as they appear nor are they always as reported.

That being said, Villiger Cigars has proven its value, reputation, quality and heritage over the past 127 years – soon to be 128 years. While it is unfortunately that changes in direction and organization are sometime experienced within a company, it is hoped that those who are not directly involved – either internally or externally – would understand and take into consideration the necessity to have to make unpopular and sometimes difficult decisions and changes.

However, the one thing Villiger will not change or waive on is their stance and commitment of providing the cigar industry with quality products at an affordable price. We certainly hope that you will reconsider our heritage and our commitment to our loyal customers and consumers.

In the meantime, we wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Years

Anne Dinkins