What's new

Vista

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
What's the word on this???? If you were buying a new computer, would you get the VISTA Home Premium loaded?

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Yes if it was preloaded I would get it.

I have Vista now just have not upgraded yet. I am waiting for some patches to be created for the software we use.

I think Vista will be great when they come out with a Service Pac II like XP did.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
As always, it just takes time for all other programs to get upgraded to work with Vista. The more time you can wait the better IMO

ATCDub

Lowly Civil Servant
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
It'll be a long time before I upgrade my laptop w/Vista. I am thinking about buying about ten computers for the office and I'm sure they'll be loaded with it.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
I'd go for it in a new system as I hear is is very stable right now. It is a bit of a memory hog though ... so try to go for 2GB of RAM. I'm going to wait awhile to upgrade from XP.

ATCDub

Lowly Civil Servant
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
2GB. It still makes me laugh to think about my old computer with 32MB and thinking that was Mac Daddy Ass whoopin.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Yea I think you HAVE to get them with Vista. If you don't want it I bet it is very hard to not get it

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
They are still out there without it right now.

Not for long though because the retailers will likely drop the prices on the XP machines rather quickly.

You shopping Dad?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read an article last week posted on either Slashdot or Digg, (maybe Techdirt) that the "sweet spot" was around 4 Gigabytes of ram.

I just can't see spending the money on an OS which will pretty much require I up grade the heck out of my machines. Come to think of it, two of them won't ever be upgradeable enough to make it run as well as it could.

The processors are too slow, and the front side bus is too slow to take advantage of all the bells and whistles. Not to mention I don't want or need to upgrade those machines with new graphics cards.

I will say this though, it does look sweet.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
They announced that they are only going to be supporting Vista for 5 years while XP got 10 year support. They keep shafting people. There isn't much compelling features to upgrade unless you like pretty looking fancy interface, or will be playing 3D games in the future.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I were buying a new PC right now, I'd definately buy one with Vista Home Premium preinstalled. That's because I'd expect to get several years of life (say, 3-to-4) out of a new computer and Vista is where it's gonna be at for the majority of that time period.

On the flip side, I had a PC running XP now, I don't think I'd bother upgrading. I'd just wait till I replace the entire computer.

But then again, take my opinion with a grain of salt; I've never actually owned a PC, and I've never used Windows. :pokemyeye

Fresh50

Here to Learn and Burn!!
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I went to a seminar last week for vista and I would get it preloaded if I was buying a new pc. But as far as my current machines I will wait for some updates before I switch.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I were buying a new PC right now, I'd definately buy one with Vista Home Premium preinstalled. That's because I'd expect to get several years of life (say, 3-to-4) out of a new computer and Vista is where it's gonna be at for the majority of that time period.

On the flip side, I had a PC running XP now, I don't think I'd bother upgrading. I'd just wait till I replace the entire computer.

But then again, take my opinion with a grain of salt; I've never actually owned a PC, and I've never used Windows. :pokemyeye
Windows XP is going to be supported until 2010.

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
I have XP Pro, IMO like others have said if you are buying new go with Vista but I would not upgrade to Vista for a while.

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
There are always bugs to work out and Software and hardware companies have to play catchup, bottom line accept nothing less than Hope premium but preferably go with pro, of course it is more money but the perks are worth it. Never, never upgrade on top of a previous OS, when it comes to microsoft and previous os's you are attempting to build a new house on top of sand... looks and works great at first...

Just my pennies thrown in...