What's new

Vista

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Personally, I just had to replace the laptop I had stolen. I purposely bought the exact same computer with XP on it. I have a rebate to get a free copy of Vista. I do NOT want it on my computer until it's been around for at least a year or two and worked out all the damn bugs.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I have never bought a computer.

I either get them from people that are buying new ones because their old ones are slow, (virus, spyware, malware), or broken.

Or I head down to Frys electronics and buy a buncha parts and build it myself.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend is buying a new laptop and asked my help in picking one out. I went to Dell's website and picked out a nice machine, but not a top of the line computer. With accessories and warranty the cost came out to about $800 bucks.

My friend will use the thing to demonstrate software her company sells, and to remote into her work desktop if she wants a day off but still has something she needs to do. Most of the time she will just be using it to check e-mail and surf the web.

Their software is not compatible with Vista, and probably won't be for a year or two. But all new Dell laptops come with Vista installed. I don't like the idea of buying Vista and then formating the hard drive to put XP pro on it.

The thing is, the machine I could get from Dell with Vista on it is a damn nice computer. I went to NewEgg and found 10 laptops ranging in price from 600 to 900 that were perfectly adequate computers with XP pro installed.

I would like to talk her into getting the Dell with Vista, that way I could get a look at it and if it won't work for her, I could just install XP pro for her. What do you guys think?

MithShrike

Yerba mate for life.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
An XP Pro install ain't no thing man. Go ahead and have her get the Vista, fart around a bit and then stick XP on it if need be.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I don't think it's the install he's got a problem with, it's the fact that you HAVE to get Vista.

The IT guys at works seem to really like Vista though

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
My friend is buying a new laptop and asked my help in picking one out. I went to Dell's website and picked out a nice machine, but not a top of the line computer. With accessories and warranty the cost came out to about $800 bucks.

My friend will use the thing to demonstrate software her company sells, and to remote into her work desktop if she wants a day off but still has something she needs to do. Most of the time she will just be using it to check e-mail and surf the web.

Their software is not compatible with Vista, and probably won't be for a year or two. But all new Dell laptops come with Vista installed. I don't like the idea of buying Vista and then formating the hard drive to put XP pro on it.

The thing is, the machine I could get from Dell with Vista on it is a damn nice computer. I went to NewEgg and found 10 laptops ranging in price from 600 to 900 that were perfectly adequate computers with XP pro installed.

I would like to talk her into getting the Dell with Vista, that way I could get a look at it and if it won't work for her, I could just install XP pro for her. What do you guys think?
You could also install virtual PC with XP on it. That way any apps not ready for vista can be run on there without changing the OS.

justinphilly

makin dollars out of $.15
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i was on the microsoft customer trial team for Vista, which basically means i was a guinea pig.. They sent me a BETA version of Vista for me to use, and gave me 24/7 tech support should any problems arise.. Vista wasnt bad. THere were some questions and problems i had, which they answered. And they also say that with my help, and the help of others, they have tweeked it till its release..

They sent me a nice reimburesment package which i convereted into some cigars, and they are also sending me a copy of the release version. I am pretty happy with XP, and dont feel like having to go through the transition (explaining the differences to the wife basically) so i am offering my Vista program to anyone who wants it as part of a trade.

Anyone interested, pm me. otherwise i will sell it on EBAY.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also install virtual PC with XP on it. That way any apps not ready for vista can be run on there without changing the OS.
That is a great idea, but I don't know is she would want to get the business edition of vista in order to get virtual pc in order to run XP.........

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
i was on the microsoft customer trial team for Vista, which basically means i was a guinea pig.. They sent me a BETA version of Vista for me to use, and gave me 24/7 tech support should any problems arise.. Vista wasnt bad. THere were some questions and problems i had, which they answered. And they also say that with my help, and the help of others, they have tweeked it till its release..

They sent me a nice reimburesment package which i convereted into some cigars, and they are also sending me a copy of the release version. I am pretty happy with XP, and dont feel like having to go through the transition (explaining the differences to the wife basically) so i am offering my Vista program to anyone who wants it as part of a trade.

Anyone interested, pm me. otherwise i will sell it on EBAY.
Man, that is cool. How'd you swing that gig?

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
That is a great idea, but I don't know is she would want to get the business edition of vista in order to get virtual pc in order to run XP.........
Bahh I didn't realize those bastards limited which versions it was available on. Looks like its a free download for Business, Enterprise and Ultimate edition. I bet new machines come with Home Premium.

This has been bugging the heck out of me lately cause I am still running the beta version of vista, and really don't want to lay down the cash for an OEM copy that I can only put on one machine. $200 for ultimate or around $120 for home premium seems too much and I won't even be allowed to install it on my macbook pro if its on my PC.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Actually, I have never bought a computer.

I either get them from people that are buying new ones because their old ones are slow, (virus, spyware, malware), or broken.

Or I head down to Frys electronics and buy a buncha parts and build it myself.

That is my way of getting new computers as well. Except that I usually get my parts from computer shows. If I was buying a pre-build one for someone else, I would go with Vista because you will probably have it for a while. For me I skip windows all together and install Ubuntu Linux.

justinphilly

makin dollars out of $.15
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man, that is cool. How'd you swing that gig?
a friend of mine works for microsoft. he asked if i wanted to do it, i was tentative until he mentioned the check they would send at the end of the trial..

i didnt know that i would also get a copy of vista as well.. still very cool..

next time he has a trial of something, i will let you know..

i CANNOT WAIT till i get my BETA version of HALO 3!