What's new

Vitola differences (real or imagined?)

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I've noticed that different vitolas within the same line have different ratings some times, and have been wondering why. I understand there is a difference between a lancero and a corona because of the different ratios of filler to wrapper, and also between say a robusto and a churchill because the filler might be arranged differently thus effecting the blend. I'm talking strictly about the effect of shape upon the smoke. For example, LP#9 both the parejo and belicoso have the same length, ring gauge, and I assume the same blend, yet are given different ratings by the same magazine. Can this really be caused simply by the shape of the head?

Shoot it to me straight. Is this all just a personal liking for a specific vitola, or does shape effect the smoke, and if so, how?

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
I think shape does affect the smoke. A rubusto is my personal favorite. I get concistant performance with it. But say a perfecto size I always have tight draws and little smoke out put due( in my mind) to the shape being restricted. Just my 2¢

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
It could be that the magazine is rating the particular stick, not the blend and vitola, and therefore even when reviewing two of the same blend in the same size, you could still get two different scores.

Alternately, using a punch on the LP9 beli would result in a very different experience than a guillotine cut on a toro, different enough that one might find one significantly more enjoyable than the other.

Or, it's possible with a crowndsourced rating (IE ratings on Famous, etc), it could just be that the belicoso is rated higher because with it's shape it's more versatile and therefore pleases more folks.

But yeah, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference personally if both were given guillotine cuts.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I don't notice any difference in flavour. With a few exceptions and if the difference is major. Like between a Lancero and a Monster 60rg. Or if they tweak the blend, like Undercrown Corona Viva vs other vitolas. Although my pallette is subject to questioning.

The major difference I notice is the Draw. Which is obvious.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Different shapes and gauges lead to different ratios of wrapper:binder:filler like you've already stated, but these changes in flavor are noticeable in a much broader range than just between a Lance and a 60rg Toro. Build up your palate and smoke cool and slow. If you power through a cigar you are going to miss a lot of nuance.

Rating - 92.3%
13   1   0
Huge difference sometimes....

But i dont think its *every* cigar.

I think some blend each size to taste as similar as possible, others let each size vary in taste.

Ex:
The padrom x000s taste basically the same from the 2x robusto and the 3x or 4x whichever one thats something like 6.5x56

The base my father blend, huge taste difference in each size..

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Two identical cigars, being handmade, are not identical. You can smoke two of the same vitola of the same cigar and not enjoy it the same. So... when reviewing different vitola, no surprise if its not the same note.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Good point there. When we talk about how much we like this cigar or that cigar, it's good to remember that to a degree every individual cigar is a "one-off". Shows how important consistency is to a line.

My secret hope was that the different vitolas existed to highlight a specific note from the blend. Like maybe the toro is listening to Zeppelin's "Kashmir". But the belicoso is like that time you were half-lit in the back of your buddy's car and listened to it with your eyes closed and really dug Plant's lyrics. And the robusto is when you first really noticed how Bonham drove the song with his drums when you had your headphones on after you bought the box set.

My secret fear was that it's all just about the looks. That's fine too, I guess. I mean, I bought the Davidoff Nicaragua diadem instead of the toro because it looked f'n cool.

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Well, different shape will roll differently, leaving to smoke travelling differently into it and to a different end result.

Take the same blend and machine-roll it to see if you'll enjoy it as much. The rolling process is an important part of the result. Different vitolas don't roll the same. Their shape too is important to how the smoke will travel from burn to mouth.

But closely similar vitolas of a same blend should be close to similar, yet never identical.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Some manufacturers blend each vitola to produce a distinct experience. Example would be the Caldwell varsity series, where there are similarities in the basic profile but each vitola is very different in what aspect of the blend stands out.