What's new

Vortex Strike Eagle

Rating - 90%
9   1   0
So I'm looking into optics for my new AR. I'm very interested in the Vortex Strike Eagle. Optics Planet is offering it for $312 right now (if you go chat with a sales agent, they'll give the discounted price). So basically, what are the brotherhood's thoughts on Vortex, this particular model, and should I be considering something else?

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
No experience with the strike eagle.. But I've got a vortex diamondback on one of my hunting rifles that I really like.. It's extremely rugged, glass is bright/clear, etc...

Buds Gun Shop ran a really good deal on several vortex options (I think it was about 25% off retail IIRC...) about 6 months ago.. So I snatched one up to try...

Been very happy with it so far..

It's not Schmidt & Bender or Zeiss quality glass by any stretch.. But at its price point it's every bit as good as its primary competitors IMO...

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I didn't think the slight increase in magnification was worth the sharp decrease in glass quality. I personally went with the Viper PST 1-4 for my AR.
Beyond that, it seems okay. I know a 3 Gun guy who has one on his backup rig - I think he won it at a match. If price is really the determining factor and you have to have 6x, I say go for it.

Otherwise I would look at the Burris MTAC for a similarly priced 1-4, or spend a little more for the Viper 1-4. They are both excellent.