What's new

Walk in Humidor

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Well, Me and the wife have decided to sell our house and build a house.

My cabinet humi is about tapped out. Im thinkning of adding a room maybe 7' X 10' - 10' ceiling to build a walk in. Does anyone have suggestions or personal experience? This will prob. be a year until the house is built, but i want to start planning now. Any suggestions will be appreciated. When its done you all have an invite to come to florida and raid it. :grin:

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
If you build it they will come!!!

I would suggest carefully laying out what furniture and shelving/built-ins you want. If you mail me a sketch with dims, I will cad it up for you. You can use typical leather chair measurements (check out Layzboy's site for the type of chairs you would want).

Don't forget to lay out exhaust fans. I think Broan (sp?) just came out with the world's quietest bathroom exhausts that would do the trick if located about the seating area.

~M

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
N2Advnture said:
If you build it they will come!!!

I would suggest carefully laying out what furniture and shelving/built-ins you want. If you mail me a sketch with dims, I will cad it up for you. You can use typical leather chair measurements (check out Layzboy's site for the type of chairs you would want).

Don't forget to lay out exhaust fans. I think Broan (sp?) just came out with the world's quietest bathroom exhausts that would do the trick if located about the seating area.

~M
A couple of things of note in this post.
The exhaust fan... I'm not sure if it's Broan or not, but I've been doing a lot of research lately on "Building Science", or building a better, more efficient house, and there have been exhaust fans that are practically silent and which run continually. Not sure if their CFM is large enough for a smoking room, but nevertheless, they're worth researching.

Mark beat me too it! If his lazy ass decides he doesn't want to help, I too can draw this up. One piece of advice would be that no matter what your architect says, remember a vapor barrier! Take it from me, I have been working in architecture for a while now and most of my peers would rather not have to deal with designing this properly if they're not made to.
Things to keep in mind:
1) your vapor barrier should never be punctured if at all possible. If you must puncture it, seal the hole with an inpenetrable, approved water penetration sealer.
2) Consider a double wall system with the VB on the outside of the interior wall on 1" rigid insulation. The reasoning for a double wall is twofold
A) Creating a min. 1" wide airspace between walls keeping the moisture that builds up on the plastic sheeting away from the exterior finished wall
B) Preventing the sheetrock on the exterior wall from being nailed through the plastic and therefore removing the added penetrations of the screws that would hold the boards on.
C) Steel studs are a must for the interior wall! The base channel is perfectly plumb for ease of sealing to the floor and obviously the steel will not rot as basic stud grade wood will. (I don't suggest Wolmanized lumber for your studs because 2x's that are wolmanized tend to twist and warp during the process causing a difficulty sealing to the floor or between each stud and the finishes.
D) Spanish cedar is obviously something to stress, though it will mostlikely be a large expense. Most builders will just put standard T&G cedar planking on the walls/ceiling. I am not an expert on long term aging conditions, but I would assume that the normal (yellow?) cedar would impart a foul flavor if cigars were left in its proximity for a long while. Plus, most B&M shops I've been in that are 5+ y/o tend to smell a bit musty. I THINK that it's this type of cedar shelving and wall boards that start to get funky after time. I don't know much about wood, but this is all I can find that would get like this.

Hope this is enough info for you! Enjoy and remember to have fun and be aware that your house will take 50% more time than you think it will to build!!

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Found it!

Quiet Bathroom Fan
Broan is out with what it claims is the world’s quietest bathroom fan. How quiet is it? So quiet that it has a small light on the switchplate to indicate it’s running, because otherwise you can’t really hear it.

Broan-NuTone
Broan QT Series Model #QTXE
Toll-free: 800-558-1711
E-mail: info@broan.com

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks for all the great info fellas. I will def. use your services once I find out some particulars about my house. I will browse the links provided and do some research. Like I said, its at LEAST a year away, but I like to have a plan of attack. When its a done deal you are all welcome to join in the fun of breaking her in....the humidor guys...dirty minds I tell ya. Oh, I will try to get the wife to OK a stripper pole in my game room too. See how that goes over. I have a buddy who has one and he always has it like Scores on the weekends. Thanks again everone.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
You should take notes/do a write up as you go. Would definitely be a good resource for the next guy. Pics are always great too! Best of luck!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good info guys.

BTW, I'm actually preparing to install one of those Broan fans in my office. All the info I've read points to them being the best!

Mike

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Let us know how that goes and take pics if you can. I think I want to get on for my basement.