What's new

Walther P99 vs. Glock 17

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Looking for a 9mm. Opening up a discussion to hear pros and cons and favored overs. Have shot both. Just seeing if there's anything I'm missing in my research and testing.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Glock 17. Parts and mags are much more readily available and less expensive. Both are good guns. But the market supports the Glock much more.

smokemifugotem

BoM July '10
Rating - 100%
190   0   1
I have the SW99 .40 3.5". Personally researched and went through this gun and a glock. Both had amazing features and are all around amazing guns. Ended up with the one I have just based on feel and how it shot for me. The SW and Walther both seem to have the controls a mm or two closer to the palm and make it easier to operate with my stubby fingers. Just my .02

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
The G17 is the first gun I ever bought & I still love it to this day. It shoots whatever you feed it, it never jams, it has 17 & 33 round magazines and it's just flat out a good pistol.

Everything mwlabel said is spot on as well...

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
I would maybe look at the S&W M&P 9mm. Not that there is anything am wrong with the other guns you listed. Personally, I am not a fan of Glocks, just my personal preference. They do not fit me well, also from what I was told, the newer gens have a lot of MIM parts in them. That reduces some of their famous reliability. I have personally witnessed some of the newer models fail, 3 of them to be exact. But again, this is just my dealings with Glock.

I have however seen a ton of M&Ps hold up to some torment. Just replace some of the MIM parts with Apex post production stuff

But if i were to pick between the two, i would say Glock. TONS of people love them and TONS of aftermarket parts

Last edited:

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Unless you need extra barrier penetration, specifically windshields... there's no real reason to carry a .40. Now if that makes you most comfortable, then it IS the right choice. But outside of that... just stick with 9.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Thanks for the comments, gentlemen. Just got back from the range. Shot an XD, CZ 75 Compact, a Sig P226, and my boy's 1911. Didn't like the XD. Loved the CZ. Loved it. The Compact feels a bit uncomfortable to grip so the BD might be the way to go. Not too big on the P226. Loved the 1911. .45 felt great. Not as "big" as I thought it would be.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Thanks for the comments, gentlemen. Just got back from the range. Shot an XD, CZ 75 Compact, a Sig P226, and my boy's 1911. Didn't like the XD. Loved the CZ. Loved it. The Compact feels a bit uncomfortable to grip so the BD might be the way to go. Not too big on the P226. Loved the 1911. .45 felt great. Not as "big" as I thought it would be.
My daily carry is a Kimber Ultra Carry in .45. Small gun, but it just feels so good, especially when shooting. The recoil is very easy to manage on a 1911. My wife prefers the Kimber over any other handgun she has shot, and I've had her shoot everything in 9mm, .40 and .45, she is very petite and I wanted her to get an idea for how everything felt.

If you're not into the 1911, which I understand not everybody is, then the Glock gets my vote. Huge aftermarket for Glock, extremely cheap parts in case anything does finally break and low priced mags. You may want to check out the G19 though if you intend to carry. I'm a big guy and have no problem concealing a full size handgun, but after 12 hours of wearing it, you will really start to feel that extra weight. I may point you towards the Glock 22/23 as well though in a .40, but that also tends to be a "snappy" gun, so try because you buy.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I had no idea so many cigar smokers carried until I was at a herf once and it came up in conversation. One of the guys just asked how many of us within earshot were carrying, and 5 guys were.

I actually feel bad for any fool who tries to rob a cigar shop during a herf, lol.

Last edited:

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
...I would maybe look at the S&W M&P...
I love my S&W M&P .45 as well. Another very good pistol that will stand up to whatever you throw at it. I really like the interchangeable hand grips on it too.

I personally have an affinity for Glocks though. Both my G17 & G20 (10 mm) are 2nd Gen. though. I have heard a few rumblings about the new ones as well...

Red Raider

Wreck 'em Tech
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I carry a Springfield XDM 9. Absolutely love the feel, east to break down to clean and was just a better fit for my hands than the glock.
The palm safety reminds me of my 1911 so that was an added bonus. Accessories are a little harder to find than with glock, but that was not a deal breaker. Love my Springfield Arms handguns...

Just my 2¢

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had no idea so many cigar smokers carried until I was at a herf once and it came up in conversation. One of the guys just asked how many of us within earshot were carrying, and 5 guys were.

I actually feel bad for any fool who tries to rob a cigar shop during a herf, lol.
You aren't kidding. My cigar lounge buddies and I all carry. :assaultri

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Maybe that's why cigar smokers are pretty much all so generous... and don't talk shit about what other people smoke!?! LOL

carholio

Carl
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I honestly think the glock is the way to go. No safety to mess with an consistant trigger every pull.

Actually for me, i think the glock is the best handgun ever made.