What's new

want a 22 pistol

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
any advice? it will be my first gun. i want a 22 so that ammo will be cheap. small so that i can carry it easily. not too much kick so my wife can shoot it too. any suggestions?

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Ruger makes a very good .22, so does Sig, walther and Browning. I am partial to Ruger Mark II myself, but that is just me. There are also revolvers available as well. My Ruger pistol is the target model, and I have had it threaded so that it can accept a silencer. The gun is a hoot. I think you will enjoy it immensely regardless of what brand you buy.

My .02 cents

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I cannot say I could reccomend any 22 for carry, however the ruger markII or III have never failed me in the plinking category. I have the Mark II target and can maintain a 1/2 inch group at 25 yards. You can take your pick with 22 revolvers.. the charter arms pathfinder comes to mind or the north american arms black widow. The NAA is not ideal if you have large hands as it is the bigger brother to those itty bittys that they have.

Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I have an old Remington .22 I 'inherited' from my pop. Its like 20 years old and shoots beautifully. You aren't going to have recoil issues with any .22, they just don't pack the punch.

Boosted

War Eagle!!!
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I use a Kimber .45 that I can convert to a .22 with their conversion kit. I love it, but I love Kimber 1911s and most 1911s actually. The only other .22 I've had experience with is the Walther P22, and it's another great .22.

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
Another vote for the Ruger. Lots of good ones out there, but Ruger is not sized well for carry, but for shooting well, it's well ballanced, fits even larger hands and has the kick of a cap gun.

Couple diffirent grip angles on these, older ones had the luger angle, a newer one called the 22/45 has the colt angle, see what feels best in the hand for you. Close your eyes, pull it up and point it in front of you and see which one has level sights on the blind.

swat253

CRA Member #206760
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
I'd get a Remington or a Ruger Mk II for plinking.

I often carry a Charter Arms 22 Magnum, as my last resort, should my Glock go dry or the battle went to hand-to-hand... It would only be sufficient in a contact wound to the temple, eye-socket, nose, etc... But, they're fun to shoot and ammo is not an issue.

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
The Ruger MKII or MKIII are very popular. Also checkout the Browning Buckmarks. I have one and it it the most accurate handgun I own.

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Just sold my Neos with some killer Nikon glass on it two days ago!
I absolutely loved that gun. 1000 rounds is like $13.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The first rule of a gun fight is to HAVE a gun! That said, a .22 is definitely better than nothing. I've got a little NAA .22 Magnum (MUCH different than a .22 long rifle) as a back-up/better-than-nothing/ultra conceal (palm of your hand) gun. You wouldn't want it as a target gun, that's for sure.

You can find larger caliber pistols in compact/sub-compact sizes that are quite easy to carry, and maybe even smaller than some of the .22 pistols out there (especially the target pistols).

Rating - 100%
106   0   0
The first rule of a gun fight is to HAVE a gun! That said, a .22 is definitely better than nothing. I've got a little NAA .22 Magnum (MUCH different than a .22 long rifle) as a back-up/better-than-nothing/ultra conceal (palm of your hand) gun. You wouldn't want it as a target gun, that's for sure.

You can find larger caliber pistols in compact/sub-compact sizes that are quite easy to carry, and maybe even smaller than some of the .22 pistols out there (especially the target pistols).
The glock 26 is a very compact 9. I have one, it will fit easily in any pocket. There are a few glocks that are very small. Another thing you might want to do is go to a public shooting range and see if they rent out guns. Your wife can shoot a few and see what she is comfortable handling.

Gummi Bear

Righteously Indignant
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
For a plinker, or serious target shooting, the 2 best bang for your buck pistols are the Ruger Mark II/III and the Browning Buckmark.

I've got a Mark II that I bought in 1996 that now has about 19,000 rounds through it, and it still functions flawlessly. One of the grips broke and fell off this summer, so I upgraded to the Volquartsen Volthane grip. Other than that, no replacement parts, and the only failure to shoot instances have been ammunition related.