What's new

Want to hear something weird?

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
A couple of weeks ago, one of my digital hygrometer's died, so I replaced it with a xikar version. Did the boveda humidity test, and for the hell of it did the test with all my hygrometers to make sure all are accurate. So, I have two desk tops and a coolidor that I'm using three digitals for. I put the Xikar in one of the desk tops, and got an odd reading, 58%.

I use 65% heartfelt beads in each one, and have always kept within 1% of the targeted 65%. So, I checked the beads, they were good. I threw my coolidor hygrometer in there to see what it read, showed 65%. Threw my third hygrometer in the desktop, another 65%. So, I do the Boveda pack again, and it shows accurate.

So, I put it in the other desktop, all three show 65%. So, I put all back into the other desktop, again the Xikar shows 58%, and the other two show 65%. It's currently in the Boveda pack, proving it's still accurate, unless it's in that one desktop.

Any ideas what the hell is going on??

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Maybe the Xikar just has a slower refresh rate? Let it sit for a little longer and see if it catches up.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Maybe the Xikar just has a slower refresh rate? Let it sit for a little longer and see if it catches up.
It was in there for 8 days, then I switched it over to the other desktop and it almost instantly jumped up to the same % as the other two.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
8 days!!! So much for the "more time to refresh" theory.

That is more than strange.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the same issue with one of my Xikar hygrometers in one of my 100 count humidors, the temp and humidity were both off even after the salt test twice . Put it in another humidor (500 count), and it showed the same as the humi care that was in it. The humi care showed a different temp and humdity when placed into that 100 count humidor than the Xikar. (side by side) So I chunked it into my closet with my pipe tobacco since I dont really worry about it as much as my sticks. Sure would be interested in the answer to this one myself......

Last edited:

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Get the Digis from CI. Its the only thing I buy from them. Probably cheaper then Xikar and more accurate!
Regards,
Jfire

rick12string

Caught in the Crossfire
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I also returned two of the round Xikars to FSS. Same problem, calibrated and then tested each one against 3 other hygrometers placing all 4 in the same humidor at the same time. Each time all agreed except for the new Xikar which was off by 6% and 7% in a humidor I know holds 65%. I sent the last one back for a refund instead of another exchange.

I then sent an e-mail to Xikar explaining the situation and that I believe they have a QC issue with these new ones. I got a response thanking me for the info and that it would be passed along. They also said they would send me another one free of charge to see how it performs. Should have it this week.