What's new

Wanted: CURRENT Desktop Humidor Recommendations

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Desktops are great - you can get carried away or keep it reasonable, your local B&M can be your humidor. I use desktops, have too many but that is not the point - ha!. You get what you pay for - a Savoy or Diamond crown both work terrific and I own both. The Savoy is in your price range, I would go to the X-large size it has a lock as well as holding 3-4 boxes of cigars. If you only want one desktop, buy a good one and it will last you the rest of your smoking days. I own a Salvador 250 as well, not as nice as the others, would not buy it again and would have been happier with another Diamond Crown. That's all my info but choose wisely not quickly!
Where's a good place to buy the Savoy XL you suggest?
Online or your local B&M, Amazon or flea bay, even you local craigslist may surprise you. This forum has a sponsor section as well, I'm sure some of these vendors carry them as well.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a couple cuban crafters humidors.. The quality is great!
Do you have a link to what you've purchased? From what I'm seeing online they appear to be similar to what I already have.
http://www.cubancrafters.com/

I would stay away from the models with glass tops and the models with the exposed hygrometer.

I have this one and it's great!! ----> http://www.cubancrafters.com/cuban-crafters-exclusivo-black-cigar-humidors-for-100-cigars/

I also have this one -----> http://www.cubancrafters.com/cuban-crafters-gran-majestad-large-cigar-humidors/

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update
Last night I went ape $hit with the silicon gel around the glass and gauge. I figured the gauge was useless anyway so I really loaded it up and I packed the interior of the glass seal (and spent another 10 minutes cleaning the glass so you couldn't see it).

Figuring that this was a brick if this didn't work, I also soaked the crap out of the interior to re-season it. It's about 30% humidity in the house these days so I think it needed a re-seasoning with distilled water.

It's been about 10 or so hours since I did this and it's holding a constant 98% humidity (with a big wet microfiber on plastic inside). Tonight I'll check it and if it is still holding steady at 98% then I'll consider it fixed and I'll bring it back down to 68 - 70% and restock it. I think it's probably 100% but the gauge I'm using is probably off by 2%.

Thanks for the suggestions about the silicon as that seems to have done the trick and was a free fix since I already had some. It also beats buying a new humidor!

Separate from this my temporary tupperware with two xikar 4oz gel bead containers and three 72% bovedas is holding steady at 66%.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Update
Last night I went ape $hit with the silicon gel around the glass and gauge. I figured the gauge was useless anyway so I really loaded it up and I packed the interior of the glass seal (and spent another 10 minutes cleaning the glass so you couldn't see it).

Figuring that this was a brick if this didn't work, I also soaked the crap out of the interior to re-season it. It's about 30% humidity in the house these days so I think it needed a re-seasoning with distilled water.

It's been about 10 or so hours since I did this and it's holding a constant 98% humidity (with a big wet microfiber on plastic inside). Tonight I'll check it and if it is still holding steady at 98% then I'll consider it fixed and I'll bring it back down to 68 - 70% and restock it. I think it's probably 100% but the gauge I'm using is probably off by 2%.

Thanks for the suggestions about the silicon as that seems to have done the trick and was a free fix since I already had some. It also beats buying a new humidor!

Separate from this my temporary tupperware with two xikar 4oz gel bead containers and three 72% bovedas is holding steady at 66%.
That's great glad the silicone worked, it's a God send. That being said you didn't really soak the inside of it right, like you didn't wipe the inside down with water (distilled) or anything? You should never actually do that, the water will slightly or even majorly cause warping and then the lid won't have that secure seal.

What is the best silicone to use?
Any food grade silicon, you can find it at Lowes or Home Depot or any place like that, make sure to get the odorless one or you'll have to air your box out for a few days, some of that shit dun stank. It will say on the package food grade and odorless.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking at either a Savoy or a diamond crown. Maybe around 100 capacity, and must have a key. Can those of you that have both compare?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That being said you didn't really soak the inside of it right, like you didn't wipe the inside down with water (distilled) or anything? You should never actually do that, the water will slightly or even majorly cause warping and then the lid won't have that secure seal.
Yes, I did - despite reading others who said the same thing. I figured that this humidor was going to be retired anyway so why not make one last ditch desperate effort to get it working. So far it seems no harm was done there as the lid seal still seems tighter than a nun's <bleep/>.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update - Three days after baptizing in water my humidor to recondition it and sealing the crap out of the glass lid and cheap ass gauge, things are looking pretty good.

Naturally I had a bit too much humidity at first so I put in my dehydrated Boveda's that were on their last 20% and effectively rehydrated them in a hurry. I moved them to the tupperdor and brought in the Xikar gel beads and a crapload of dry silica gel packs (which are used for keeping moisture off products during shipping). Doing this helped quite a bit so that after about 72 hours I was finally down to 72% with no cigars.

I cleared out the humidor, tossed in 8 cheap ass Rocky Patel's I have and the Xikar and left it alone for 12 hours. Humidity was at 70% and things looked good so I brought the good stuff back in and moved the cheap stuff to the tupperdor.

The seal still seems good but perhaps slightly looser than it was before, but the lack of air loss from the glass and gauge more than make up for it.

Hopefully by next week I can get to the forget about it stage where I'm not having to pay attention to this stuff so much. If not, then I've picked out the Savoy I'm going to get from my local cigar shop!