What's new

Wanted: Kickass Coffee Maker

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I need some reccomendations for a great coffee maker.

All we brew is commercial pre ground and the occasional gift of fresh roast from brothers here.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
My step-mother has a Braun Aromaster. One time I was mopping the floor and knocked over the coffee pot and it ended up being almost as much as the coffee maker so she went out and bought the same exact model again. All it does is make coffee, nothing fancy and I like it.

http://www.braun.com/na/products/fooddrink/breakfast/coffeemakers/aromaster.html

My mother used to use a Bunn when she was drinking coffee daily. All they do is coffee makers and they are the ones that make the professional ones for restaurants.

EDIT: I want to hear what the real coffee gurus around here have to say :)

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Wasch_24 said:

All we brew is commercial pre ground and the occasional gift of fresh roast from brothers here.

One problem with almost all consumer drip makers is the brew temp. They just don’t reach the 200* (+/- 5*) range. Usually end up with 185* or so. This under extracts and gives a sour taste to your brew, as well as leaving most of the flavor in the grounds. A couple drip makers that have received pretty good review are:

1. Presto Scandinavian, it can be had for $35.99 + at Costco (Click Here)

2. Technivorm Clubline, it can be had for $299.00 at Wholelattelove.com (Click Here)

What kind of grinder do you have? People who are into coffee like you are into cigars will tell you that the grinder is the most important part of the process. Regardless, the makers I listed should do you very well. I own a Presto and it works head and shoulders over any other drip maker I've ever owned.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Right now I have a $10 cuisanart blade grinder. I plan on upgrading to a burr grinder eventually. I have exhausted all the home roasted beans brothers have given me so we are drinking regular pre ground now.

Last night we went over to John_N_Va's house and he had this coffee maker. It made a very very hot cup of coffee.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Wasch_24 said:

One problem with almost all consumer drip makers is the brew temp. They just don’t reach the 200* (+/- 5*) range. Usually end up with 185* or so. This under extracts and gives a sour taste to your brew, as well as leaving most of the flavor in the grounds. A couple drip makers that have received pretty good review are:

Presto Scandivavian which can be had for about $35 at Costco (Click Here)

or,

Techivorm which can be had for about $299 and you can get it at Wholelattelove.com (Click Here) for one.

What kind of grinder do you have? I only ask because people who are into coffee the way you are into cigars will tell you that the grinder is the most important part of the coffee making process after fresh (between 3 and 14 day old) beans.

I have a Presto and it performs head and shoulders above any other drip maker I’ve ever owned…..

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I've never used one but I would still put a vote in for the Presto Scand. based on what I've heard from other home-roasting folks. It seems to be the best machine for the price.
I use a Capresso MT500. It brews at 200*+- and is priced between the two machines mentioned above. Part of the reason I went with it instead of the Presto is just looks. I don't care for "European" styling so I think the Presto is kind of funny to look at.

owljones

habanoholics anonymous
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
djs134 said:
One problem with almost all consumer drip makers is the brew temp. They just don’t reach the 200* (+/- 5*) range. Usually end up with 185* or so. This under extracts and gives a sour taste to your brew, as well as leaving most of the flavor in the grounds.

French Press is the way to go. I have one of these link.

It actually stops the brewing process after you press it down. Drip coffee is convenient, but it just doesn't taste like coffee should. The only drawback for the FP is the mud that you get at the bottom of the cup, but you get used to it. I highly recommend you go this route. :thumbsup:

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I just started using a FP. It is so simple. Heat up water, grind coffee, add to FP, stir, wait a few minutes, press, pour, drink!

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I think I'm too lazy to go the french press route Tom.

I went ahead and ordered the MT-500 and this grinder.

Anyone wanna sell me some Torquino or Caraquillo roasted to Full City(+)? :hysterica