What's new

Warped cigar construction

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Hey there home rollers/tobacco gurus. I have a theory that I'd like you to weigh in on. I often wonder, when enjoying a delicious Warped MdT/La Haciendo/GotF etc etc, why does the ash on these cigars disengage so often/easily? I have to tap the ash off every quarter-inch or so to keep it from falling on me. Having recently toyed around with some leaves thanks to @webmost I came up with this theory: these cigars utilize much more seco and volado compared to many brands that are more ligero dominant. Could that be the case? What do you think?

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I think you answered your own question, less ligero definitely decreases the "strength" of the ash.

That being said, leaving some mid rib in also helps with structure, but are typically stronger in flavor and nicotine, not desirable in a milder cigar (or heaven forbid some people call them "twigs"....)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Hmmm…shorter fillers? Are we getting scammed by Kyle? Somebody cut one open and investigate! (I like mine too much to waste one lol)
Good topic. I have found that some of my favorite cigars, taste wise, are not great construction and sometimes just bad. Yellow cake is a prime example. On the flip side, some of the best constructed cigars I've had fell flat on the flavor profile. Bespoke cabinet selection ristretto was one of those.

Stupid Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hmmm…shorter fillers? Are we getting scammed by Kyle? Somebody cut one open and investigate! (I like mine too much to waste one lol)
Are there advantages to using a bit of short filler in hand-rolled cigars? Can you achieve certain flavors or better control burn by including some short filler?

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Good topic. I have found that some of my favorite cigars, taste wise, are not great construction and sometimes just bad. Yellow cake is a prime example. On the flip side, some of the best constructed cigars I've had fell flat on the flavor profile. Bespoke cabinet selection ristretto was one of those.

Stupid Tapatalk
Yellow Cake is made from the "trimmings" of other Caldwell cigars so classed as a short filler much like Fuente Curly heads, i like them both

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hand roll that had the most structure I have ever rolled was a when I started out entubado. I could actually see the individual; tubes hanging out there in the ash. ( my tubes were very tight like straws) Now I do book method and the ash is very similar to the commercial stick I occasionally toast.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
The hand roll that had the most structure I have ever rolled was a when I started out entubado. I could actually see the individual; tubes hanging out there in the ash. ( my tubes were very tight like straws) Now I do book method and the ash is very similar to the commercial stick I occasionally toast.
Yeah I think they use a semi-entubado. @BrewinHooligan what you using lately?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Yeah I think they use a semi-entubado. @BrewinHooligan what you using lately?

I use accordion. Old school Cuban method. Better air flow than book and, for me at least, more precise leaf placement of the different primings than entubado. You do have to be careful not to overstuff your mold or you will get a very tight draw though. This goes for all methods though.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Back to the OP's question. Maestro Del Tiempo is a very mild blend. I imagine mostly seco with little viso and just a touch of ligero and most if not all mid ribs removed which will sacrifice the structure. I don't fear the mid rib, it gives structure, helps airflow, and has the same delicious flavor as the leaf it carries. The only time I remove is if it is the size of a small tree or if I am going for a mild blend, but if you know me you know that last statement is a joke.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Back to the OP's question. Maestro Del Tiempo is a very mild blend. I imagine mostly seco with little viso and just a touch of ligero and most if not all mid ribs removed which will sacrifice the structure. I don't fear the mid rib, it gives structure, helps airflow, and has the same delicious flavor as the leaf it carries. The only time I remove is if it is the size of a small tree or if I am going for a mild blend, but if you know me you know that last statement is a joke.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Just a note, since I have recently seen some possible refs to this issue: the midrib, per the docs I've read, has somewhere between 1/4 and 1/7 the nic of the regular leaf bits (lamina, a word that for some reason makes me cringe even tho I'm totally good with the word labia).

Chart on page 10: Seems to show that lamina nic % is ~6.75x that of midrib.

https://trace.tennessee.edu/cgi/viewcont...agbulletin

bottom of page 321: "The nicotine level of processed stems is low and is normally about 25% of the nicotine level found in the lamina."

https://books.google.com/books?id=-gyynU...em&f=false

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Right. that's what Bob keeps saying. I have only heard it was the mid-rib from Cuban farmer rollers and, some other factory tour videos.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Just a note, since I have recently seen some possible refs to this issue: the midrib, per the docs I've read, has somewhere between 1/4 and 1/6 the nic of the regular leaf bits (lamina, a word that for some reason makes me cringe even tho I'm totally good with the word labia).

Chart on page 10: Seems to show that lamina nic % is ~6.75x that of midrib.

https://trace.tennessee.edu/cgi/viewcont...agbulletin

bottom of page 321: "The nicotine level of processed stems is low and is normally about 25% of the nicotine level found in the lamina."

https://books.google.com/books?id=-gyynU...em&f=false
Very interesting! Happy to know this.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I don't really think of MdT as a very mild blend. It's pretty packed with flavor, and a solid medium strength. To me, anyway.