What's new

Waterfowl hunters post up

coastalgriff

Educated Redneck
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I'm curious how many others spend their free time hunting ducks and geese this time of year. I'm also interested in how others are doing this year. Thoughts on this season?

itallushrt

hero
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
* raises hand

Hunt / guide here in KY. Mostly a diver hunter. Our season has yet to open, does tomorrow - Thanksgiving morning, but I do not have high expectations.

Extremely dry / drought conditions in the entire region. When this occurs early ducks pass us by and keep going. Our diver numbers have been steadily decreasing over the years as well.

You?

Last edited:

coastalgriff

Educated Redneck
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Good to see someone else is after them. This current front may have brought you some birds. We have consistently been on the birds so far, but most folks have not. The lack of good fronts has left most of the birds up north and a lack of water on the prairie has pushed the ones here to the coast. I start hitting the divers later in the season. I'm still trying to get that perfect canvasback for the wall. They're always young or destroyed. My true love is goose hunting, but there haven't been enough to mess with. Good luck today.

itallushrt

hero
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As suspected this is shaping up to be another horrible season.

It's getting dangerously close to being my last. I can't justify the expense with so little in return anymore.

:cursing:

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Sorry to hear about another bad season. My problem around here is not birds but the land is getting way to htf since the early00s to find anyone willing to let you hunt anymore. This year I seen huge numbers of puddler's around the fields. Geese are like a big nuisance here by the thousands. Especially with the early snows we received in the Midwest. To bad I don't hunt anymore. Land to hard to come by and to many expenses the last 3 years.

itallushrt

hero
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
With some brutal weather to the North of us last week things are finally looking up.

Took a guy along who had never hunting before and had him his first duck in about 15 minutes. I think he is hooked.

Some birds are around, but having to work very hard for them. Running many, many miles on the boat each afternoon to find them. What a fine time for gas to go back over $3.00 a gallon. :shame:

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
Had multiple flocks passing over the house yesterday. Greenheads galore.

Funny thing is, neighbors son (in his 40's) was by and saw them. He took out his camera phone and started taking pictures.

I said "great place for a 12 gauge right now, eh"? I got a shitty look and he went inside.

Friggin animal lover. Probably went in and had a chicken sandwich and bitched about me.

CUT EM BOYS!!!!!!!!

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Duck hunting is about all I do from October till February!!! Occasionally I will show up for work or go to one of my classes, but mostly I kill ducks.
Season out here is whack this year. We still have some open water and haven't gotten any cold fronts, so not many ducks yet. But it is still decent (for CO waterfowl hunting).

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Got a 5-man limit of geese here in northern CO just before Christmas! Ducks have been shit here this year. No cold fronts from the north yet and it's been so warm the lakes aren't even locked up.
Heading to Stuttgart tomorrow for a few days of hunting tho. PUMPED!!!!
Our friends have 1000 acres of flooded timber, flooded fields, and river. They got 100k snows and specks sitting on their property right now!

Whistlebritches

NON SIBI SED PATRIAE
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Northwest Texas has been extremely good.We had lots of sept and oct rain.....the key to holding ducks here in the dust bowl.Geese are always in abundance....they do love our peanut fields.Even though I have only had a couple opportunities to get out this year.....my longest wait for a limit was approx 30 minutes.In 05 we had so many ducks we starting calling the species for the day prior to arrival at the waterhole.Any species hunts that year through January took about 15 minutes tops.....some as little as 5 minutes.Best duck season I've ever experienced.

Ron

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
season is ended next week here.... been successful so far as we mostly kill wood duck, mallards, teal, black, some bufflehead & also geese.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
" the most action packed duck seasons minus the ducks" so says my friend Bo. pretty much sums it up... only about 12 ducks flew into our spread and range the few times we went. the season was an adventure in its own though... you name it, it went wrong...i shot 1 coot... only cause it drifted behind our boat and took off after we opened up on 2 woodies wearin armor.