What's new

Webhost & Email provider suggestions?

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
We finally got our DSL line hooked up at my new job today so I will be able to check in during the work day again. The next step is to register a domain name and get email with our domain name set up.
Any suggestions from you computer guys on who to go with? We're a small company that just started business and we won't be doing ecommerce so our site won't need to be much. Our main concern now is to have our email with our company extension rather than our ISP's (i.e. name@companyname.com rather than name@verizon.net).

Poni

BoM Oct 05
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
www.dynamixone.com :)

actually thats my company, what type of stuff will you be doing? Is the sites purpose for advertising or will it be interactive?

Do you need a site designed?

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
There's tons of webhosting providers out there... peruse http://www.webhostingtalk.com a bit

A few tips:

Register your domain yourself through a reputable domain registrar. Some companies out there basically take hostige of your domain to sell you their other services. By registering yourself and then finding a webhost, you retain full control of your domain in the future. Do not spend more than $15/yr per domain.

Steer clear away from webhosts who provide "unlimited" bandwidth. Period.

Research. Research. Research. Webhostingtalk.com is a good starting point; search companies that interest you and see what others are really saying. Beware of "testimonials" there from new members with few or little posts. The webhosting industry is overcrowded and very competitive.

Always remember, like in any business - someone sells for someone else. Try getting to the root of the provider so you can skip the layers of reselling. Comes in handy when a problem arises.

Poni

BoM Oct 05
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
very true vipe about the reselling. Domains are a little trickier since there are only a few places that "really" register the domains, like Wild West domains. Everyone basically resells, including go-daddy. We resell directly from wild west.

We own all our own servers and pay for all our own bandwidth. As far as hosting, we really don't do website hosting for sites, more of hosting applications and email for businesses.

If your looking for a good domain name registrar, check go-daddy.com (or dynamixone ;) )

For hosting, these guys are good - www.mediatemple.com. No resold space.
Just make sure you know what you are hosting, it could matter if you hosting content using microsoft technology like ASP pages, on a provider that doesn't support microsoft content.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Thanks for the input guys. That helps a ton. I briefly looked around online and you're right there's way too many for a novice to try to make sense of. Larry, we will just be doing advertising on the site. Not interactive at all. We most likely will provide general info on what we do and may link to the technical portion of some of our vendors sites. Strange as it may sound, right now we mostly want our email address's to have our company name to make it easy for customers and vendors to recognize and remember.