What's new

Weighing options

Mr.Erskine

I am the Walrus
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've posted this on a couple other forums because I'm looking for sound advice. I think I know how I'm going to handle this in the end, but all ideas are welcome.

First, I live in Maryland, so I already understand that, because I'm not a criminal the cards are stacked against me.

I'm looking to buy a couple pistols in the near future. One for me and one for my wife. I know I'm getting myself a Glock 23. My wife, though I'm leaning toward a Glock 19 or Glock 26. I want to get her something smallish, and preferably a 9mm, that she can carry, because I will be applying for a carry permit for, at least, her, (and probably myself, but as I said earlier, Maryland has made it nearly impossible for the regular law-abiding citizen to be allowed to take advantage of his or her 2nd amendment right to carry.)

I have also looked at some other pistols, including revolvers. Just looking for ideas.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I got my wife a revolver because they are dependable, easy to load, and easy to shoot. She couldn't pull the slide back on many autos. How likely is it that she'll have to reload and keep shooting?

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Get the 19. Subcompacts are exponentially harder to make good hits with. If she can't handle the frame, which is highly unlikely with realistic standards, then look at the m&p offerings.

owensaz

Pallabra. (Word.)
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Get the 19. Subcompacts are exponentially harder to make good hits with. If she can't handle the frame, which is highly unlikely with realistic standards, then look at the m&p offerings.
If she were to shoot someone at the range where a shorter barrel impacts accuracy. They'd take his wife to jail. Not to bust anyone's balls but why are most people not willing to make their spouses competent with multiple sizes of firearms? "Home Invasion" Do people really think a person out to do harm is going to wait for your wife to skip over every other firearm in the house and get hers? My wife is small statured couldn't rack a slide on anything.. When I first bought a pistol for the house I made her rack the slide 5 times before I left the house.. Fast forwarded 3 years she's proficient at .40sw .45 12ga and 10ga which is all the variety I have aside from long rifle and carbine which is a different story.

Allll that to say this: Take your wife shooting a lot, don't limit her to a little 5-6 shooter unless she chooses so after several trips to the range.

Good luck getting a firearm in MD.. Which is one of the main reasons I didn't return after the military.

I'll make another point then it's "Rant Off" What kinds of firearms do LE, MIL, and criminals use? Semi's! Low learning curve, ease of use and mag capacity.

My final .02 cents spend as you please.. Both you and the Mrs. get 23s (learn together) and if you guys need help finding anything for your Glocks drop me a msg.

Cheers,

Brad

owensaz

Pallabra. (Word.)
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I got my wife a revolver because they are dependable, easy to load, and easy to shoot. She couldn't pull the slide back on many autos. How likely is it that she'll have to reload and keep shooting?
Cops do it all the time, bad nerves get the best of you.. "Excessive Force" it happens.

owensaz

Pallabra. (Word.)
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'll apologize in advance Gents.. At 21 I got voluntold to be my units gun safety guy. Literally teaching the do's and don'ts of gun ownership and usage. A many of "Manly" men purchased their wives firearms and were looking to sell them a month later because they "Thought" they knew what was best based on some poll or magazine clipping. Hell plenty of guys bought short barrel .45s for themselves shot 3 rds didn't want no parts of the firearm afterwards.

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I'd recomend that you go down to a rental range and have her fire a few different pistols, Then find out which one she likes best.

She really needs to make this decision, since she will be the one CC'ing it. And if your not wild about the pistol you are CC'ing. The pistol tends to get left behind after a period of time.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in .45ACP, which has a 3 1/2" barrel. Felt recoil is even less than the 9mm Glocks I've shot, and it's accuracy and trigger put them to shame. The furthest our pistol range goes out to is 50 yards, and I'm keeping my shots within the black at that distance, which is a completely unrealistic distance for real life defense situations. It takes practice, but putting down a weapon because of it's size is foolish. You're not going to be able to hit the broadside of a barn if you don't practice, no matter if you're shooting an J frame, or an H&K MK23.

As far as your wife goes, if she isn't making the decision, then it's not the right decision in my opinion. This is about getting a handgun that she is comfortable carrying, not making her proficient with every weapon in the house. If by some act of God you are able to get a CCP, then you want her to actually carry the weapon, which is much more likely if it's something she has picked out and feels comfortable with it. Hell, if getting her a snubbed nosed .38 with pink grips makes her like it more, than that's what you should buy.

Here is some more reality to throw out there. What are criminals most likely to do to women? In case you didn't know, it's rape. All these semi-auto's are fantastic weapons, I would put my 1911 up against anything. But, if you're a woman with some guy laying on top of you, or bearhugging you, there is a chance that a semi with a slide top will catch a piece of clothing in the slide and cause a malfunction. This happens WAY more than you might think, and if you think getting a single shot into somebody will stop them, you are VERY mistaken. This is where a hammerless revolver is worth it's weight in gold, she can shoot it from inside her purse, she can shoot it from within a pocket, can shoot it if some 250lb asshole is laying on top of her. Not only will it not malfunction because of clothing, but if a round doesn't go off she can just keep on pulling the trigger, there isn't a rack-tap to perform.

You're planning on buying what you've investigated, and feel comfortable with, why shouldn't she get the same choice?

By the way, my wife and every female I've ever brought shooting have fell in love with my Kimber. I brought my sisters to the rental range to go through their choices when it was time for them to buy a gun. They spent the entire day there, shooting everything the place had with every ammo. Some they liked, others they shot a single round out of and refused to pick it up again. They wanted to try my little Kimber that had +P defense ammo in it, and instantly fell in love with it, both making it their choice. Don't make a decision against a weapon for your wife either, she may like something you hated, be it subcompact, compact or full size.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I'd recomend that you go down to a rental range and have her fire a few different pistols, Then find out which one she likes best.

She really needs to make this decision, since she will be the one CC'ing it. And if your not wild about the pistol you are CC'ing. The pistol tends to get left behind after a period of time.
Amen! Lol

Mr.Erskine

I am the Walrus
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Okay, let me clarify. I'm looking for suggestions for her to try out before I buy. I didn't mean to make it seem as though I was going to buy her a gun, and then tell her that it was hers without her input.

I apologize for not being more clear. I'm not that barbaric and controlling.

As for buying in MD, the problem isn't getting the gun, it's carrying it. I love that the criminals get a leg up on the average citizen in that regards, and then MD defends the criminals right to carry out their actions without giving the regular citizen a chance by hiding behind some unfounded and badly manipulated statistics. However, my wife is a photographer, and she sometimes has to go into urban centers, and I don't want her going in there without something to defend herself with that's going to give her a reasonable chance of making it home.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Okay, let me clarify. I'm looking for suggestions for her to try out before I buy. I didn't mean to make it seem as though I was going to buy her a gun, and then tell her that it was hers without her input.

I apologize for not being more clear. I'm not that barbaric and controlling.

As for buying in MD, the problem isn't getting the gun, it's carrying it. I love that the criminals get a leg up on the average citizen in that regards, and then MD defends the criminals right to carry out their actions without giving the regular citizen a chance by hiding behind some unfounded and badly manipulated statistics. However, my wife is a photographer, and she sometimes has to go into urban centers, and I don't want her going in there without something to defend herself with that's going to give her a reasonable chance of making it home.
Oh, ok cool. Well, I would go to a rental range and let her shoot a ton of different handguns, of all different types. From a snubnose revolver to a full size 1911, see which one she likes out of the bunch and then go from there. Obviously, there are the normal choices, Glock, M&P, Ruger SR9c, S&W, 24/7, H&K, etc. But, again, it comes down to her. :)

It's sad how many guys are that barbaric and controlling with their wives, which only turns the women off to shooting. :(

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
This is my experience in teaching several women how to shoot before you consider any semi-auto for them:

See if they are able to safely and consistently rack the slide.

Sounds stupid and sexist, but I have seen many women of all sizes have issues with this, especially holding it open to lock the slide release. If they have no issues, then go to town. If they do, revolvers are a wonderful alternative. No safety and extrenuous crap to deal with.

I think MD is a no hi-cap state right? If so, I would consider a sub-compact, whatever fits and points well for you and whatever you can afford. I personally like the HK P2000SK with the LEM trigger.

Regards,
Randy

Mr.Erskine

I am the Walrus
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Oh, ok cool. Well, I would go to a rental range and let her shoot a ton of different handguns, of all different types. From a snubnose revolver to a full size 1911, see which one she likes out of the bunch and then go from there. Obviously, there are the normal choices, Glock, M&P, Ruger SR9c, S&W, 24/7, H&K, etc. But, again, it comes down to her. :)

It's sad how many guys are that barbaric and controlling with their wives, which only turns the women off to shooting. :(

Yeah, I know. It's like motorcycles, some guys force their wives/girlfriends to start too big because the little ones aren't "cool", but safety is highly important as well as her comfort. I have a pretty good idea of what I can handle, but I know she should have a chance.

owensaz

Pallabra. (Word.)
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Yeah, I know. It's like motorcycles, some guys force their wives/girlfriends to start too big because the little ones aren't "cool", but safety is highly important as well as her comfort. I have a pretty good idea of what I can handle, but I know she should have a chance.
Great attitude man, it'll get you far with the Mrs. mine will go out shooting 6am at 90 degrees all because I learned from the mistakes of my sexiest friends lol

Mr.Erskine

I am the Walrus
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks all for the insight and advice.

I am going to take her tomorrow to look at some pistols. There is a gun shop nearby run by a former LEO, and he and a friend of my wife's from high school were talking me through some stuff. Keep the suggestions and recommendations coming, because these are the guns that I will look at and have her look at, and so forth.

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Bravo brothers, all solid advice. I have nothing to add that these guys haven't already said. I will say that shooting a 22 pistol is great for learning the fundamentals and easing them into it. I have a few 1911 22 slides that worked wonders for teaching my girl how to handle her firearms.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My wife, and a lot of friends' wives, prefer the simplicity and reliability of a snub-nosed .38, most often one of the S&W's. I'd encourage her to try one. I have a Colt Agent snubby (from the mid-'80's and discontinued) that I prefer, which holds 6 instead of 5 rounds. If she tries one and decides to get it, I'd put a Hogue grip on it. Makes it easier to hold and shoot. The stock wood grips on .38 snubbies usually suck. JMO FWIW.

JGD

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Good luck getting her a concealed carry permit before the recent ruling makes its way through appeals. Generally you will have to show documented proof that you either carry large amounts of cash or documented proof that you have been subject to threats.

Not sure how close you are, but continental arms outside of Baltimore has a good selection of rentals for her to try.

Mr.Erskine

I am the Walrus
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Good luck getting her a concealed carry permit before the recent ruling makes its way through appeals. Generally you will have to show documented proof that you either carry large amounts of cash or documented proof that you have been subject to threats.

Not sure how close you are, but continental arms outside of Baltimore has a good selection of rentals for her to try.
I know, and the wheels of justice move exceedingly slowly or in reverse, I've noticed.

We live in Western MD, about 2 hours from Baltimore.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
My wife, and a lot of friends' wives, prefer the simplicity and reliability of a snub-nosed .38, most often one of the S&W's. I'd encourage her to try one. I have a Colt Agent snubby (from the mid-'80's and discontinued) that I prefer, which holds 6 instead of 5 rounds. If she tries one and decides to get it, I'd put a Hogue grip on it. Makes it easier to hold and shoot. The stock wood grips on .38 snubbies usually suck. JMO FWIW.
A .38 revolver is hands down one of the best most reliable revolvers. Damn, good choice.