What's new

Well it finally happened

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Tape. My xanthan gum wouldn't hold the band together so I used tape. I'm using arabica now (from LO) and sometimes it holds the band, sometimes not. Both seem to hold wrapper leaf together just fine so a bit of tape for the band and I'm all set.
Cellulose glue has no trouble holding bands or leaves. Got mine off Amazon for like three bucks, sold as something for children's crafts. That was maybe a year, year and a half ago, and I still have gobs left. You can get it at the hardware as wallpaper glue. Yep -- that stuff. Made out of trees. I've heard you can get it at craft shops. No taste. No color. No hassle.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How do yall deal with really long leaves. One of my wrappers looks to be about 2ft long. Do you just cut it in half and trim?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
How do yall deal with really long leaves. One of my wrappers looks to be about 2ft long. Do you just cut it in half and trim?
Most all my wrappers are two feet long.
Just start wrapping from the more delicate tip end. Don't need to cut beforehand. Plenty of time to cut when you get there. You can use the inner cutoff and the upper end as binder for your next stick.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most all my wrappers are two feet long.
Just start wrapping from the more delicate tip end. Don't need to cut beforehand. Plenty of time to cut when you get there. You can use the inner cutoff and the upper end as binder for your next stick.
Thanks for the info!

Sent from my N9132 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is there any harm in taking out the midrib as soon as you get the leaf, or do you need to store the leaf with it in?

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I don't think there's any harm in it. Then you could stack the right and left halves so when you roll, the leaves are always the same orientation for a session.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
If you leave them wet in a bag for too long, they can get moldy. If you case and let them sit in a bag overnight, no problem. I use distilled water and haven't had a problem short term but have found spots if the damp leaf goes back in a bag for a month...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you leave them wet in a bag for too long, they can get moldy. If you case and let them sit in a bag overnight, no problem. I use distilled water and haven't had a problem short term but have found spots if the damp leaf goes back in a bag for a month...
Can you just leave the bag ope for a while or should you unfold the leaf and let it dry?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Is there any harm in taking out the midrib as soon as you get the leaf, or do you need to store the leaf with it in?
My experience has been that the midrib helps stabilize how damp the rest of the leaf remains. I'm not scientific about the process; but I suppose it's the same as how you stick the stem of a flower in a vase of water.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I believe I found a blend that I want to start "mass producing"
Wrapper: Firre Cured
Binder: CT LS2
Filler: Criollo 98 Seco
The flavors are on point with everything I love. Oak, Leather, Cedar, and a hint of Nuttiness. And the pepper is out of this world. Next time is designing the bands.... I will call it El Pistolero (The Gunfighter)

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I tried cigar glue once and I agree, mixing it is a pain. I also found that it didn't work very well. I always use pectin. It is a fruit sugar liquid used in making jams and other baking. You get it at the grocery store in the baking section and it is cheap. You can get powder that you mix or liquid ready to go. It works great.

One time I was in Dominican Republic and a roller was using the liquid center of a Halls Cough Drop as cigar glue. It had a strong flavor and it went fantastic with the cigar. I always thought that was real creativity.

Also, let me say that your first rolls look good but that wrapper leaf leaves something to be desired.
This is an old thread, I know.
However, mixing glue is not a pain at all. In fact it's really easy.
Here's how I do it.
I use a 4 ounce Ball jar:
upload_2018-4-17_9-56-47.png
I put two tablespoons of water into it.
Heat in the microwave till hot. I usually bring it to a boil (40 seconds)
Take it out of the microwave
Sprinkle half a teaspoon of glue powder on the hot water
Stir. As the water cools the glue with thicken.
I stir until it's thick but you can probaly stop stirring as soon as the glue
is thoroughly mixed.
As soon as it's cool, it's ready to use. No need to mix the night before
Adjust the amount of glue powder to suit your preference