What's new

Well, lost my cigar torch to TSA ...

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Every now and then they toss free ones in with a cigar order, so I'm not too put out by it (not enough to check my bag to save it). But what really chafes me is that it seems 95% of official testers trying to get firearms or explosives past these TSA buffoons actually succeed! :rolleyes:

Oh well, they were on the ball today! This former Air Force officer, business road warrior, with a TSA Known Traveller Number (KTN) won't be hijacking any planes today with a cigar torch! You should all feel safe, yes?

Of course, I didn't know we shouldn't fly with them because I've flown with it enough to make the A-list with Southwest this year already ... with that very lighter. So Maybe we shouldn't feel so safe, eh? Idiots.

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Happened to me once, too. I too travel for business a lot. I have taken to just bringing a Bic with me, or some wooden matches. They normally don't hassle me about those. Worse comes to worse, you could always grab a torch at a gas station at your destination. They're cheap.

I know they will let you carry on a Zippo. I have been considering buying one of the cheap torch inserts for my zippo and see if I can get that through. If it works, I might take to doing that instead.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I got my Ronson lighters that I took with me to Florida. So far so good....knock on wood. My 2 pipe lighters made it also. I did keep all but one in my checked bag stored in the Herf-A-Dors.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Well, I made it home from Florida with all my Ronson lighters. :knock on wood: I'm going to suggest to any of you who travel via an airline to stash your lighters in a 5-er herf-a-dor just as I decided to do. Now, I know their not cheap, depending on your budget and where you purchase them. I've seen those Colibri TSA approved lighter cases for traveling but I figured I can save my $$ for more sticks since I already have multiple herf-a-dor cases. And that's basically what that Colibri travel case does for your lighters.

LUCKILY, there were no issues going down to Florida nor returning home to NY. And also all my pipe lighters (2 of them, one was with me and my pipes in my carry on) made it through without a hitch.
I've been very lucky with my "high end" lighters that all have traveled out of the country with me and returned home with me safely.

But after seeing some of the posts here I played it safe and left those home. Plus I now have 2 new lighters in my growing collection!

When I get home, I'll snap a pic of what I did and show you guys. Just stuck in the horrendus NY traffic, plus rush hour -.-

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Well, I made it home from Florida with all my Ronson lighters. :knock on wood: I'm going to suggest to any of you who travel via an airline to stash your lighters in a 5-er herf-a-dor just as I decided to do. Now, I know their not cheap, depending on your budget and where you purchase them. I've seen those Colibri TSA approved lighter cases for traveling but I figured I can save my $$ for more sticks since I already have multiple herf-a-dor cases. And that's basically what that Colibri travel case does for your lighters.

LUCKILY, there were no issues going down to Florida nor returning home to NY. And also all my pipe lighters (2 of them, one was with me and my pipes in my carry on) made it through without a hitch.
I've been very lucky with my "high end" lighters that all have traveled out of the country with me and returned home with me safely.

But after seeing some of the posts here I played it safe and left those home. Plus I now have 2 new lighters in my growing collection!

When I get home, I'll snap a pic of what I did and show you guys. Just stuck in the horrendus NY traffic, plus rush hour -.-
A word of caution on this, the torch I lost was in a Herfador at the time and it didn't stop them. I've had mine searched a few times but luckily I stopped bringing things I cared to lose. In other words, ymmv.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
A word of caution on this, the torch I lost was in a Herfador at the time and it didn't stop them. I've had mine searched a few times but luckily I stopped bringing things I cared to lose. In other words, ymmv.
Ohhhh boy....well I guess my suggestion isn't good. But technically, aren't you allowed to transport without butane!?

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I don't think so. I'd have to check the TSA regs to be sure.
Seems like sometimes they make up their own rules. Like when I left NY the other day, I had my full name on my boarding pass. Driver's license is my first initial. He let me through but said I need to change it on my license or the boarding pass for next time I travel. My full name doesn't fit although it's a common name. Coming home, there were no issues with it what so ever. Just confuses the crap out of me what we can and can't carry on or put in our checked bags. I feel bad for the people who travel with firearms for a hunting trip or LEO's although those have to be claimed at the check in and all but still.....