What's new

Well, this is an unexpected turn of events.

MithShrike

Yerba mate for life.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fair warning fellows, this is long. BTW, I'm 21.

I moved out here to Tucson back in October. My mom said I could come down to get things straightened out. When I was living in Phoenix with my roommates I had a serious drinking problem and I was smoking a lot of... non-tobacco plant matter. Add to that, my job was giving it to me something hard, my paychecks were bouncing more often than they were clearing. I came down here, stopped drinking, stopped smoking that plant matter and found God. I also lost a good 20 lbs.

My original plan was to lose weight and join the Air Force. Well, a car accident I was in back in July kind of changed that. I wasn't injured badly but my neck hurt me some. I went to a chiropractor a few times and started to feel better. I was a passenger in the car that was hit. The people that rear ended us, their insurance said I might not be covered. Well, when I moved down here I was told it would be taken care of. I have received communication from the chiropractor's office that the insurance decided not to cover me and I now owe them money, which I don't have.

The job I want in the Air Force requires a certain credit score, thanks to previous unfortunate events my credit sucks ass and with this chiropractor bill it just got worse.

Well, my mom's house is out in the middle of nowhere here in NW Tucson. I had a job but thanks to transportation limitations and scheduling issues I haven't been working in a while so any funds are few and far between. I've been looking for a job closer to the house but have not been successful.

My mom is a devout Baptist. She just told me that if I wanted to continue living here I could no longer practice the faith I chose. She doesn't want to understand my faith any better, she doesn't want to know why I choose to be Baha'i. She wants me to stop or get out.

Looks like I'm getting out. I'm going to call my grandfather who lives in Charlotte, NC and see if he'll pay for a Greyhound out there. He wanted me to come and live with him when I went to visit back in June. At the time I didn't want to but now it doesn't look like I have a choice.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
well Matt, welcome,,, one thing about life i've learned through my trials, it's not fair. but, it's what you do with it that counts. i hope all works out for you.

jeff

MithShrike

Yerba mate for life.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I used to think shit happens, get over it, life's a bitch and then you die. Well, shit happens, I get over it, life's is certainly a bitch but she's my beautiful bitch.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
As shitty as things are going I can gurantee you that one day you will look back nad be very proud of yourself for workign through it all and not giving up.

Seems like you have a leg up on it all by having a good attitude...hang in ther bro. :thumbsup:

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Definitely a tough pill to swallow. Stay strong bro! May'be a change of scenery is what you need, again.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
If I were you I'd ...

1. Obtain all the documents on your accident and then contact all the personal injury lawyers in your area to see who will take your case. Being a passenger, you should definately be covered by someone's liability policy. Make sure the lawyer specializes in personal injury and that he has a good rating with the local BBB and Bar Association.

2. Get a copy of your credit reports. HERE is a good place to start. You are entitled to one free copy every year. Then go through it and start cleaning it up. You might find errors or items that you can dispute. Then start improving it by getting a secured credit card as soon as you are employed again. Buy small items and pay them off. You will find you can improve your score quickly. A good credit rating will definately help you down the road when you meet the right woman and want to start a family, buy a house, etc. But YOU have to take the steps to clean it up.

You sound like you are starting to get yourself together, but remember that the things that matter most are often found by taking the hard road. Look for places to compromise rather than sticking to your guns. You may have to put plans on hold for awhile, but don't abandon them just because of setbacks. Good luck - I hope 2007 is a better year for you.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Matt, I truly believe that faith is the most personal of matters, a decision that you and you alone can make, and that no one -- not even one's sainted Mother -- has the right to tell you what you should or should not believe. One of the very fundamental principles of freedom in the United States of America is that you have the right to believe whatever you choose to; never, ever give up that right.

The situation you find yourself in is a difficult one, and you most likely face a tough road ahead, but what you're doing is RIGHT and is surely the best route for you. Life is full of these kinds of trials and tribulations, and it's rarely fair. But as you said, you've already conqured the tough parts (quitting drinking and "smoking").

I sincerely wish you all the good will and luck that there is in the world.

- Duane

p.s. - If your grandfather welcomes you into his home but is unable to pay for your bus ticket, I will gladly contribute in whatever way I can to help cover the cost.

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Good advice by all Matt. Good luck and keep up with the positive attitude. With the amount of effort you are putting into this, all should work out for the best.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Hang in there bro. It definitely sounds like you have the head on your shoulders to work through this!

MithShrike

Yerba mate for life.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks everyone. I have gotten in touch with the chiropractor's office and I may yet be able to work that part of it out. I haven't been given a deadline on when I must leave because my mother is entertaining this weekend. I'll keep y'all posted.