What's new

What a difference a good humidor seal makes...

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I got my first humidor of July last year. It was nice but there was noticeable gaps in the corners of the interior cedar layer which made the seal not so great. I would have to re-hydrate my beads every 2 weeks.

I ordered a new humidor of the same model I had before. The corners were much better, and it had that nice little thud noise when you close the lid.

I just re-hydrated my beads for the first time in 7 weeks. The humidity still wasn't dipping below 68% (for some reason in New England, 65% beads seems to hold 68%. Several others confirmed this as well).

I can't believe how much of a difference the seal has made.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ahh gaps in cheap humidors. what i've done is use the thin spanish cedar wrappers that some cigars come with and cut then down to size to stuff in those gaps. works wonders because it blends with the rest of the wood and stuffs the gap plus adds a bit of tension to the seal. no issues since and a cheap fix if you have even one cigar with a spanish cedar wrapper.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
ahh gaps in cheap humidors. what i've done is use the thin spanish cedar wrappers that some cigars come with and cut then down to size to stuff in those gaps. works wonders because it blends with the rest of the wood and stuffs the gap plus adds a bit of tension to the seal. no issues since and a cheap fix if you have even one cigar with a spanish cedar wrapper.
That's a good idea. Learn something new every day. I've heard people say they accidentally stripped screws out of the hinges. A good tip for that is put a tooth pick in the stripped hole and re-screw it in. Simplicity.

The problem with my old humidor was the gaps in the corners could fit like 2 quarters into the gaps. It was the 250 count treasure dome humidor I got off cigarbid. I bought my 2nd one from Famous-Smoke, and it was much better.

Yup, my 65% beads seems to hold 68% also.
Really weird isn't it? Every person from New England I've spoken with has said the same. I actually prefer the 68%, it seems to be just right.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
wow that is a big gap. I mean you can just keep adding cedar to "shim" it out i suppose, just keep folding the wrapper over on itself until it fits nice and snug. but one wrapper should still do it if you're careful with it.

Dread

I sell cigars
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Nickerson! Whats going on brother? Good to hear you finally have a working humidor, that must have been a nightmare to deal with before.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I just got a digital Hygrometer to check mine with. Right now the hygro is in the calibration bag. I've had the Humidor for 2 weeks and the container for humidifcation has been full. I do drip some distilled water on it evry couple of days but it never takes more so, either it's not working or it's fairly humid now. I'll know for sure in 36 hours. It does seem tight and closes with a whoosh - no gaps in the cedar so I guess I'm lucky.

Been keeping my sticks in the plastic bag they were shipped in till I get the humi sorted out. (and of course, they are plastic wrapped on top of that.

Glad you got yours sorted out!

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
yeah i dropped $100 on a humi when i first started smoking. Used it for 3 years before I noticed some of the smokes were dried out. I noticed that the ones that were dry were stored next to the edge. I got my flashlight out and sure enough, there was a huge gap in the seal.

I tossed the humi and got 3 big Lock n' Locks for $9 a piece. Perfect seal. I refill my beads every 2 months or so. Life is good now. :)