What's new

What am I doing wrong?

WARDOGG

Crusher of Hopes & Dreams
Rating - 100%
10   0   2
Is it possible you like the way they smoke when they're a little wetter? If you're getting the most enjoyment of them straight from the shop you may actually like them closer to 70% or so. Have you tried smoking one without dry boxing?

-Charles
I'd have to agree with this. I too was having flavor issues since I normally keep my humi's at 60-65. My B&M usually stores them at some higher. So now, I store them a little closer to the 70 range and I find that I like them more.

Different paletes, different tastes.

LigaPrivadaFanboy

Unrepentant Hoarder
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Great advice guys! Did some rather expensive testing:

LPT52 Rob, 65% or so I thought - was actually 68% after verifying with multiple hygrometers. Was good but not as good as I remember.

LP T52 Rob, 72% - uneven burn, wetter & less appealing flavor. Flavors were muted in comarison to 68RH

Here's my theory, which jives with what some of you have said: when I pull smokes out of my 72RH "aging" humi and drybox them with others I want to smoke soon, I am not waiting long enough. The inaccurate hygrometer didn't help. I was pulling smokes out at 68RH not 65 or less.

As I write this I'm smoking a Fuente Anejo which has been sitting unhumidifed in a cedar box for maybe 2 months - kept smoking other stuff and never got around to it. Inside the box was verified 60RH via multiple hygrometers. That being said, I think any smoke I have aged probably needs to wait similarly.

Thanks again for all the great tips.