What's new

What are your go to 'cheaper' brands??

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After browsing around the forums for a while, I'm starting to notice something. A lot of the brands that come up repeatedly as good smokes are $10+ sticks, a few coming in a little under. My concern is, is this going to be a pretty standard price range to keep myself stocked up on quality smokes? I just don't see having a humidor full of $10-15 cigars as an option on my budget. I've been enjoying smokes I've gotten from CAO and 5 Vegas, and these tend to be closer to the $5-6 range, but I don't see many people talking about these brands around the forums.

Are there good quality brands out there that will stay pretty close to the $5/stick range? Or am I better off just not smoking unless I can afford to drop $10+ per stick?

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
there are a LOT of budget threads, just do searches for them. some consistent winners:

-padron thousands
-AJ catalogue blends (diesel and MoW)
-core fuente
-oliva

there are a lot of others, but it is really up to your palate.

Rating - 100%
262   0   0
I think if you read some of the "now smoking" threads you will see a lot of sticks in the price range you are looking to smoke. They generally are "Easier to find" and therefore generally do not end up being sought out. For me in the 5-7 range I would suggest (all of these are from site sponsors including their discount codes):

Aging room Maduro
Stulac Lord
Alec Bradley Nica Puro
Ortega D Maduro
Oliva Serie G Maduro
Avo Classic series
LP Undercrown
Fuente (non HTF varieties)
Four kicks and HG by Crowned Heads

edits: they just keep coming to me...

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Same lists as above but add the Buenaventura stuff Big Payback and Tatuaje Tattoo
OOOOH, good point, there are several new "cost effective" releases either out, or up and coming. don't forget the R roths from illusione, and i think padilla has one in the bin?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After browsing around the forums for a while, I'm starting to notice something. A lot of the brands that come up repeatedly as good smokes are $10+ sticks, a few coming in a little under. My concern is, is this going to be a pretty standard price range to keep myself stocked up on quality smokes? I just don't see having a humidor full of $10-15 cigars as an option on my budget. I've been enjoying smokes I've gotten from CAO and 5 Vegas, and these tend to be closer to the $5-6 range, but I don't see many people talking about these brands around the forums.

Are there good quality brands out there that will stay pretty close to the $5/stick range? Or am I better off just not smoking unless I can afford to drop $10+ per stick?
I think there's two parts to this question.

A larger (and more difficult side of the hobby) part of it is when you buy, more than what you buy. You can get a lot of great $10-15 dollar sticks for half price or less, depending on when and where you buy them. I try and buy with two rules in mind: is it on sale, and will it go on sale? If it's on sale and I'm looking for it (or it's a good price on a regular), I'll buy it (but I shop around and check sales weekly, and monster daily). Rule 2 comes in with new sticks, popular sticks, and higher priced sticks: if it's on sale, buy, if it's not and I know it won't probably go on sale, I coupon it. Best time to buy is when you can stack a coupon on a sale or two (and then throw in something that doesn't go on sale that I want. I smoke mostly the upper end of $5-$10 (and a few $15) sticks, but my average spending this summer has been $3-4 per stick in that range (if you add in the "cheap smokes" I pay $2.50-3 per stick. Basically, time your purchases, and work on averages, an Ashton VSG isn't going to go on heave sale, but grab a fivr of that and something on the monster you like stack a coupon and you're average with probably be 75% of retail or less for those sticks. Oh, and don't smoke premium churchills all day long, that'll cost you.

As for cheap smokes, Man o' war (I prefer the orig.), MUWAT +11/Baitfish, illusione R Rothschild, AF SS, Perdomo lot 23 / 10th champagne, Tatuaje Havanna Vi, Cain Daytona, Oliva g/o, Nub, most premiums that you read about that come in petit Robusto can be had in $5-6 range.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I smoke quite a few "budget" smokes.. I just cant bring myself to fire up a $12-$20 stick at times where I know I'm going to be be sidetracked, or doing other things in addition to sitting/relaxing and enjoying the cigar.. which tends to be about 5 out of 6 days..

While I love a good LP, Anejo, PAM, etc as much as the next guy... and try to smoke them as often as I can... most days, because of my schedule/time constraints, distractions, etc.. I find myself reaching for cheapies like Ramon Bueso Genesis, Diesel Unholy Cocktail, Illusione Rothschild, Padron 2000, etc.. all things I can get in the sub $5 range... and sincerely enjoy...

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
H Uppman pc , Bolivar pc , Qd'O corona , R&J pc , RASCC & Monty No.4 do fit your budget nicely.

the potential for the lightup off and running right off the truck gems , has been a very favorable one of late.
also, if the need dictates- the Wide fanbase allows for a fast and easy no mess no fuss no $ loss unloading. :)

Thanks !

Last edited:

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
A whole lot of this is going to depend on what your preferences are. Whatever the case, there are a myriad of inexpensive, quality cigars out there to chose from, running the whole gambit of flavors.

Based on your username, I assume you like maduros. Based on that assumption, here are a few of my favorite cheap maduros. Prices are based on what they can commonly be found for either on sale, at auction, or at cigarmonster or cigarbid:

-EP Carillo maduros (cigarbid, $3-5)
-Padron X000 series (cigarsinternational, 2000, 3000, etc - $4-5)
-Ramon Bueso Genesis ( cigarsinternational, $3)
-Illusione Rothschild (anywhere, $4)
-Diesel Unholy Cocktail (cigarsinternational, $3)
-Intemperance BA XXI Intrigue ( havacigarshop, $5)
-Nica Rustica (cigarmonster, famous-smoke sales $5)
-Liga Undercrown (cigarmonster, famous-smoke sales $5)
-Papas Fritas (anywhere, $6)
-Carlos Torano Exodus 1959 "50 years" Maduro (cigarbid, $5)
-Perdomo 10th Anniversary Maduro (cigarmonster, $4)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Illusione Rothschild are amazing and underated. Also check out Roma Craft. There isn't a lot of talk about them here but most of their sticks ca be had for under $10 and they are amazing smokes.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
-Illusione Rothschild (anywhere, $4)
-Intemperance BA XXI Intrigue ( havacigarshop, $5)
-Liga Undercrown (cigarmonster, famous-smoke sales $5)
-Papas Fritas (anywhere, $6)
A HUGE +1 to these in particular, especially the Intemperance. For about $1 more per stick the CroMagnon Knuckle Dragger is one of my personal favorites. Also available at havacigarshop

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Diesel Unholy Cocktail $3.00 a stick
Cain Daytona $4.00 a stick on sale
Tatuaje Tatoo $4.50 a stick
Holts Old Henry $4.40 a stick

drjammer

No More Elvis Trump
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I stated on another forum, you can't beat Omar Ortez originals for $2-$3 a stick. It has some of the best Nic. flavors hands down, just my .02 though.