What's new

What brand of butane do you use?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've been using Xikar butane in all of my refillables from my Snap-on soldering iron to my Palio and in the last three years I've never had an issue all ten of them work with out an issue.

But, I have to mail order the butane which if I plan ahead isn't an issue however there are times that I forget to order or the cans are on backorder. So this brings to my question What brand of butane do you guys use?

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I know there are a lot of people here that advocate using premium, super filtered, etc..etc.. butane..

Honestly.. I use cheapo zippo and ronson butane that I can pick up at the local drug store most of the time.. and I havent ever had a problem..

I havent risked my "premium" torches with the cheap stuff.. I typically use vector or xikar in those...

but I use either my zippo with z-plus insert or a ronson about 90% of the time.... and I dont think any of those have ever seen anything except cheapo fuel..

and Ive never had a problem out of any of them..

The only lighter Ive had die in the past few years was a fairly high end colibri... it did get filled with zippo butane a couple of times.. but I dont attribute its death to the fuel... I attribute its death to the fact that colibri makes POS torches lol...

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
My local carries a brand called Lucienne from the UK. It works well in my lighters.

SDShark

BoM May '14
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I use the Xikar as well, surprisingly my local Rite-Aid had the large can for like $8. It was a steal.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Vector. Though my GF got me two bottles of the Xikar to go with the lighter she gave me, so I'll get around to trying it.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
One of the big box stores use to or still has free ground shipping for vector butane. I buy like 6 cans when they're on sale and get the free shipping. (Or maybe it was buy the deal of the day. So I wait till it's actually a good cigar like Pepin blue labels. So buy the cigars and get the free Vector Butane shipping included even though they have to ship the Vector separately.....) Anyhow it lasts me about 5 years and I don't have to worry about running out.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
After reading a few posts here, I want to clarify something: The idea of using a better quality fluid is that it will not impart a bad flavor into the cigar. Simply using "good" fluid for good lighters and cheap fluid for cheaper lighters defeats the whole idea of using quality fluid.

...Just sayin' :)

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
After reading a few posts here, I want to clarify something: The idea of using a better quality fluid is that it will not impart a bad flavor into the cigar. Simply using "good" fluid for good lighters and cheap fluid for cheaper lighters defeats the whole idea of using quality fluid.

The idea of using better fluid is so that guys don't have to send lighters out to the manufacture. The lines that carry the fluid to the jets get clogged with a tar oil substance. I know, I've taken almost a dozen of my fellow botls lighters apart over the years and cleaned the lines that go to the jets. They work immediately after the cleaning..... And if you can taste the difference bewtween 5x and 2x refined Clint. Ill buy you a fiver of your favorite cigar.........

Rating - 100%
5   0   0

And if you can taste the difference bewtween 5x and 2x refined Clint. Ill buy you a fiver of your favorite cigar.........

Yes I meant this as a thread just to the lighters performance not the flavor.

I did find a deal on Vector http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003IR1PGU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3GI0XOV8VLJA7&coliid=I2ZPQKHOE9BB5J and I'm going to give them a shot I just wasn't sure what brand to try, so thank you for a the input.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
The idea of using a better quality fluid is that it will not impart a bad flavor into the cigar. Simply using "good" fluid for good lighters and cheap fluid for cheaper lighters defeats the whole idea of using quality fluid.
Not really sure where that comes from Clint.. I dont know anyone that can "taste" the difference in butanes, whether high quality or low, super refined, or barely refined at all...

The reason butane is a preferred fuel is that it is by its nature a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas..

additional refining simply removes micro particles that you would find difficulty seeing under a microscope in most cases.. to get the butane to a more pure state..

maybe youre confusing this with other fuels like the oil base fuel normally used in zippos? (that does actually have a taste and an odor..)..

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1

The idea of using better fluid is so that guys don't have to send lighters out to the manufacture. The lines that carry the fluid to the jets get clogged with a tar oil substance. I know, I've taken almost a dozen of my fellow botls lighters apart over the years and cleaned the lines that go to the jets. They work immediately after the cleaning..... And if you can taste the difference bewtween 5x and 2x refined Clint. Ill buy you a fiver of your favorite cigar.........
Yes, the better fluid does keep the lighter's internal system cleaner, thus less clogging etc. (Kinda like using higher quality gas for your car keeps the carb happy)
Although I cannot in good conscience take you up on that premium fiver, I will say that low quality, bottom of the barrel fluid does impart a metallic, chemical taste into the cigars I used to smoke before switching.
Could easily be mind over matter, but all things considered, I'd rather pony up the small price difference than risk a great cigar :)

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
I use Vector exclusively. I even use it for my cheap Ronsons, where in my experience, the Ronson fuel tends to render them useless after a while.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I used ronson fluid for a good 5 years now and just recently switched to the xikar to try it out. I honestly can't tell the difference the lighter works the same for me. I guess it's a matter of preference really.

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
I use King, triple refined, which is the only thing I can find locally. The problem with King is the universal adapters they put in the lid all suck. I am still using an old Ronson adapter for my two Xikars and my Lotus, but the adapter does not fit the King nozzle worth a damn. Anyone else have this problem? Short version: none of the King adapters fit the filler tube of the lighters, and the Ronson adapter does not fit the can. I can get the lighters filled, but do waste some butane.