What's new

What cigar lighter?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My lighter Is giving out and I need a replacement soon. I saw the zippy thread on here, can I use a zippy for cigars? I thought it had to be butane?
How many burners is the way to do? More burners is more heat but I thought lighting cigars needed to be as low heat as possible?

what do yall recommend?

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
No zippos unless you get a butane insert..

Single, double, triple, or quad burner is really about personal preference...

I prefer the precision of a single..

Others will prefer the speed and efficiency of something with more flame..

Just depends on you

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Go to: BuyLighters.com
You can find a large assortment of lighters at great prices. Check out the Vertigo Cyclone Triple flame. Mine has worked like a champ for a long time. Only $9.99

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Most reliable lighter I've owned is a Ronson Jetlite. Seems to work no matter how miserable it is outside, been dropped in the hot tub, driven over by a golf cart etc, keeps on ticking. For the bargain basement price of $3, not sure why you'd ever buy another lighter...lol

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
1. Ronson. They're $6 out here, well worth it. Exterior is built like a tank.

2. Xikar. Pay more, but you can get them fairly in expensively on cbid, and they seem to have flawless operation for me. They have a lifetime warranty, which is great, but out of several lighters over the past five years, only one has needed service and that was apparently just a new flint. I also have a Xikar tabletop lighter that I love.

3. Zippo butane inserts. My personal favorite, as I get to use a couple Zippo shells I love. One is a custom Liga Privada shell,
and the other is a Zippo given to me by my brother-in-law as a groomsman present when he got married. Classic Zippo feel and sound (seriously, is ANYTHING better than that clink?!), but without the nasty taste or potential leaking of Zippo fluid.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I have the Thunderbird. It works decent, not great. My biggest complaint is the butane tank is small, so you can't get many lights out of it before you have to refill the tank again.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I have a couple of cikars which work great for me.. Also remember the lifetime warranty.

And I have my zippo with the z plus insert that I got off ebay ..

With a few more lighters .. If you go to CI they have like a lighter grab bag type deal were for 20 bucks they'll send you a couple lighters.. Some pretty good ones and some not so pretty good ones... I was happy with all but one that I got in my grab bag .. For 20 bucks and I think 4-5 lighters you can't beat that

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
should have mentioned in my previous post...

you dont always get what you pay for in a torch...

if you choose to go high(er) end... make sure you get something with a really good warranty.. XiKar for example has a great warranty and also has a great reputation for customer service... Colibri on the other hand... not so much..

Like others that have posted.. Ive got a handful of ronsons.. both soft flame and torches.. that seem to be indestructible.. I keep them in my truck, in my hunting pack, in my travel bags, etc.. at $3 a torch, and $1 a soft flame.. they are incredibly hard to beat.... youre not going to impress your friends with their beauty or your style when you pull out a ronson.. but.. you are going to know with absolute certainty than in less than 60 seconds youre going to have a lit cigar.. every single time..

Ive probably got a dozen slightly more expensive to mid-range priced lighters.. and a couple of pretty expensive/nice ones...
lately Ive been using a XiKar stratosphere (pretty inexpensive torch)... mostly because I think its cool (bought it to use at altitude when I hit the mountains in CO)... but.. I always seem to go back to my ronsons.. either for convenience (Im in my truck.. or on the road.. or whatever..)... or simply because of confidence... I know at this point they simply arent going to fail...

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I have two lighters and both work great. I have a double flame Firebird. Got for $30. I've heard mixed reviews on the brand but have had for a year and a half. Was my first torch. The adjustment knob fell off at some point and the rubberized finish is coming off the body, but dependable, holds a lot of fuel for a smaller torch and will throw a huge flame if needed. I use as my carry lighter. I also have a Xikar ELX. Got for$40.Super nice torch but seems to like when the fuel is turned up more thus only lasts a few cigars. Punch cutter on the bottom works well. Use at home and carry occasionally if I want to bring a nicer torch.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some good advice here. If you get a Ronson, the type of butane may not be an issue as mine seem to run on anything I feed em (my oldest is from 2005).
For most other lighters, fuel matters. I'm have about 40 butane lighters (most in the moderately priced range) and every single one of em is working and running on Vector butane fuel. This was not the case when I briefly used a different butane fuel.