What's new

What city is the best "Sports Town?"

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
What is that. Tom?

Good thread Dave. Love SD. Just can't get emotional about them. Doesn't set well when carrying a gun, eh?

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I think the Cleveland is an amazing sports town. It had a dedicated fan base that isnt just a bunch of band wagon fans. I could imagine the chaos if any pro team pulls one off

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 4
I couldnt imagine the chaos!!! Hopefully sooner than later.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wish i could say St. Louis, but i don't think you can count a city without the 4 major sports, and there is no way our city could support an NBA franchise, which REALLY sucks

CAJoe

King Dude
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
San Francisco would definitely be a top city as they have 9ers (Superbowl last year) and Giants (World Series last year). Right across the bay in Oakland is the Raiders, A's and Golden State Warriors (will be in SF soon) so they have a lot of sports to watch. Also San Jose is near there and there you have the Sharks. Sonoma Raceway is not that far away either.

Arizona would be another good one. You have the Cardinals and Diamondbacks. Also have a Nascar Race Track, a PGA Tour event, NHL Team, NBA Team and ASU. Not to mention they are a major hub for preseason baseball.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
"6 Peat" Bulls of the 90s. Still a great team now.
Recent (2010) and Current (2013)
Chicago Blackhawks Lord Stanley Cup winners.
Chicago Whitesox 2005 World series champs sweeping the Stros 4-0.
The Cubs god bless them can't win a pennant but have sold out games for almost a decade. (Until recently) They have the largest reach of a MLB team for the last 50 years with AM 720. (As far as FL.) Wrigley next to Boston one of the most historic parks still standing.
Chicago Fire soccer. Several Xs champs of their league.
DA BEARS, DEFENSE, DITKA!!!!! For peats sake!!!!!!! The 85 bears Super Bowl suffle.
I mean come on! How many other cities have SNL doing a skit on sports teams from 1 city.
"Ok... DITKA, JORDAN, or GODDD!?!?"
"WHO WINS!?!? DA COACHHHH!!!!!!
[video]http://www.hulu.com/watch/4171[/video]
Chicagoland speedway for NASCAR.
Women's Lingerie Football League(LFL)
It's not even close maybe Boston or Detroit.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
The thing about the Padres is that I don't even think the owners give much of a hoot. It was all win-win when the stadium was on the ballot... heck, they made it to the WS that year, but what has been happening since is terrible. What's worse is that all the transplants go the games to watch their old town's team show up... less than 50% of the folks in the stands are local. Totally disheartening.

Greatest Sports town? Easy: State College, PA. It was great before Sandusky tarnished it and it will be great once again.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
The thing about the Padres is that I don't even think the owners give much of a hoot. It was all win-win when the stadium was on the ballot... heck, they made it to the WS that year, but what has been happening since is terrible. What's worse is that all the transplants go the games to watch their old town's team show up... less than 50% of the folks in the stands are local. Totally disheartening.

Greatest Sports town? Easy: State College, PA. It was great before Sandusky tarnished it and it will be great once again.
It's still a badass downtown ballpark! Love going to the games!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are a pro sports fan it has to be NY/NJ metro area just for the sheer amount of teams in your area. And if your willing to drive another hour you bring the Philly teams into the mix.

Yankees
Mets
Rangers
Islanders
Devils
Knicks
Nets
Giants
Jets
Liberty -WNBA
Lizzards- STX
FC, Red Bulls- Soccer
Numerous Independent teams like the Somerset Patriots baseball team

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0

It's still a badass downtown ballpark! Love going to the games!
True. But I was bummed when I went to the game last Saturday. 2/1 Dodgers to Padres fans. Might as well have gone up to Chavez Ravine and hung out with my father-in-law... The stadium was roaring as they announced the Dodgers, and could hardly clap when the Padres came on. Total bummer...

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Being from NY, I'd love to say NY but I'd be fooling everyone and myself if I believed that. Yes, we have an abundance of teams but of those, only the Jets and Giants sell out their games on a regular basis. A family of 4 pretty much has to take out a 2nd mortgage to go to a Yankee game. Mets are better, but still overpriced. The Islanders only sell out the coliseum when a rival team plays and even then, Islander fans are usually outnumbered (we're outnumbers by Montreal fans that come down from Quebec to watch an Isles-Canadians game). I hate the Rangers so I'll just ignore them and pretend they don't exist. Devils are too far for me to go to a game (I'm not paying $16 to cross the bridges or drive through the tunnels).

When it comes to fans, I have to give it to either Boston or Philadelphia....they are ravenous in both cities.