What's new

What Coffee Are You NOT Drinking!

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
Black Dog Ethopian Longberry Harrar Horse, WTF, I go to order some more and it's not on Brian's site anymore. Anybody know what gives...Bueller, Brian!?

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
May 22, 2009

Barry Malone (Reuters)

ADDIS ABABA – Ethiopian coffee exports will fall by 30-40 percent in 2009/2010, but the country hopes to become the world’s biggest sesame seed exporter this year, the Ethiopian Commodity Exchange (ECX) boss said on Friday.

Ethiopian officials have blamed bad weather for near total crop failure in some southern growing zones this season, and ECX chief executive Eleni Gabre-Madhin said the global economic slowdown was also hurting overseas sales.

“This year we’re likely to see a 30 to 40 percent shortfall in coffee export earnings relative to last year,” she told Reuters in an interview at her office in Addis Ababa.

Coffee accounted for some 60 percent of Ethiopia’s foreign exchange revenue in the 2007/2008 (June/July) season, when it earned more than $525 million from exports of 170,888 tonnes of mostly high quality arabica beans.

But Eleni said the cash-strapped nation would only make about $300 million from its biggest hard currency earner this year, partly due to the global economic slowdown.

“It’s not insignificant that some of the higher-end premium coffee outlets are scaling back,” she said. “Starbucks closing 600 stores around the world has implications for demand for the type of premium coffee that Ethiopia exports.”

Ethiopia has been suffering from a shortage of foreign currency as commodity prices have fallen worldwide and demand for its mostly agricultural exports has slipped.

“The global coffee market has had a direct impact on our foreign exchange earnings and our economy is having to face that at the moment,” Eleni said.

The ECX was set up to replace a murky auction system. But some Ethiopian exporters have been reluctant to sell their beans through the new exchange, which began trading coffee in December.

The government seized 17,000 tonnes of the crop in March and revoked the licences of six exporters it accused of hoarding their stocks and waiting for prices to rise.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
Well I guess that explains it! Thanks Ted.

May 22, 2009

Barry Malone (Reuters)

ADDIS ABABA – Ethiopian coffee exports will fall by 30-40 percent in 2009/2010, but the country hopes to become the world’s biggest sesame seed exporter this year, the Ethiopian Commodity Exchange (ECX) boss said on Friday.

Ethiopian officials have blamed bad weather for near total crop failure in some southern growing zones this season, and ECX chief executive Eleni Gabre-Madhin said the global economic slowdown was also hurting overseas sales.

“This year we’re likely to see a 30 to 40 percent shortfall in coffee export earnings relative to last year,” she told Reuters in an interview at her office in Addis Ababa.

Coffee accounted for some 60 percent of Ethiopia’s foreign exchange revenue in the 2007/2008 (June/July) season, when it earned more than $525 million from exports of 170,888 tonnes of mostly high quality arabica beans.

But Eleni said the cash-strapped nation would only make about $300 million from its biggest hard currency earner this year, partly due to the global economic slowdown.

“It’s not insignificant that some of the higher-end premium coffee outlets are scaling back,” she said. “Starbucks closing 600 stores around the world has implications for demand for the type of premium coffee that Ethiopia exports.”

Ethiopia has been suffering from a shortage of foreign currency as commodity prices have fallen worldwide and demand for its mostly agricultural exports has slipped.

“The global coffee market has had a direct impact on our foreign exchange earnings and our economy is having to face that at the moment,” Eleni said.

The ECX was set up to replace a murky auction system. But some Ethiopian exporters have been reluctant to sell their beans through the new exchange, which began trading coffee in December.

The government seized 17,000 tonnes of the crop in March and revoked the licences of six exporters it accused of hoarding their stocks and waiting for prices to rise.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Don't panic!
I am temporarily out of Harrar but will have it back in later this week. I placed my normal order a couple weeks ago and the importer called me back to let me know there'd been a run on Ethiopian and he'd been bought out of it. The report Tedski referenced may have caused some panic buying. I found some from another importer so I'm good for now and my normal source will have it back late August. There could well be another run on it when that arrives but I won't know until then. I'll be watching it and getting as much as I can if that happens. However, I don't have the capital to buy and sit on huge inventories so it could get interesting.

Coffee is a crop so it does run out from time to time and of course is affected by weather and a host of other things.
I don't even want to get started on the ECX.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
He is alive and he posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am alive! :skew:
Sorry to be away so long again. I've been hammer down lately. I'm nearing capacity with current equipment and I'm afraid it takes pretty much all my waking hours to get it all done. 7 days a week and often 16 hours or more a day. I'm working on financing to take things to the next level so keep me in your thoughts and prayers. If I can pull this off my life might return to some semblance of normalcy. Sales are good but need to keep getting better so I can swing this.
I'll try not to be a stranger! Now that I'm posting I'm going to try to keep up. Miss a day here and you get lost! Miss a few weeks and catching up is hopeless!:glassesgr

openendstraight

Grand Corona
Rating - 100%
118   0   0
Brian, I made an order of you crack, last week, and when I get it I realized that I ordered hole bean. Now my wife is pissed at me\, but I really don't care because I don't drink coffee anyway, so she can use the grinder. Just thought it was funny.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
who comes up with these coffee names..
People actually ask that all the time. They are typically country/region/farm and such. Sometimes cultivar.

When one guy asked me I told him that what I do is buy pre-roasted robusta from Taiwan that was shipped to me in 55 gallon drums and that I re-packed it and made names up as I went along. He kinda squinted at me and said "Really?!"
:devilhead:grin:

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
Don't panic!
I am temporarily out of Harrar but will have it back in later this week. I placed my normal order a couple weeks ago and the importer called me back to let me know there'd been a run on Ethiopian and he'd been bought out of it. The report Tedski referenced may have caused some panic buying. I found some from another importer so I'm good for now and my normal source will have it back late August. There could well be another run on it when that arrives but I won't know until then. I'll be watching it and getting as much as I can if that happens. However, I don't have the capital to buy and sit on huge inventories so it could get interesting.

Coffee is a crop so it does run out from time to time and of course is affected by weather and a host of other things.
I don't even want to get started on the ECX.
Sorry I missed your call today Brian, thanks for the message. Actually, when you get it in, if you just want to send what I ordered in the sampler bags, that's fine, that way it should stay fresher if I don't open the bags right away...right?

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
People actually ask that all the time. They are typically country/region/farm and such. Sometimes cultivar.

When one guy asked me I told him that what I do is buy pre-roasted robusta from Taiwan that was shipped to me in 55 gallon drums and that I re-packed it and made names up as I went along. He kinda squinted at me and said "Really?!"
:devilhead:grin:
Well I hope you kept up and played along. It's fun sometimes to fuck with people!