What's new

what constitutes a lawn 'gar to you?

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
so, having just been called out for my choice of lawn 'gars, and having to clarify myself, i got to thinking: what exactly makes a "lawn 'gar"? this isn't a hard and definable characteristic, like "maduro", but rather something different from person to person. figured it would make a fun sunday afternoon discussion. o)

so, how do YOU pick a lawn 'gar? what are your criteria? what are your go to's?

EDIT: in the interest of fairness, guess i should put my criteria, right?

-SMOKABLE! if i dont enjoy it, i can always find a new home for it.
-cost effective. it might be mowed under, so nothing you can't afford to loose. it happens.
-durable. might be some gnawing, no CT shade or cameroon, too fragile.
-big flavor. a LOT of noise with a mower, big flavor keeps my other senses entertained.
-good construction. relights or burn corrections are bad half way down or up a hill.
-known blend. i usually won't take out something if i haven't sat down and "figured it out" yet.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Your go to for any occasion. You are not afraid to drink a beer or have some foreign smell/taste ruin the experience. The opposite would be something you make an occasion out of it. Setting aside the time and the proper setting to sit down and enjoy the cigar to the fullest.

Herfin' Harg

BoM March 2012
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
I would've said that my yard gars are generally something damaged - a wrapper crack or whatever.

But really, now that I think back, it's something that I just don't have high expectations for (which may/may not entail damage), and probably the largest one in my humi. Last couple I remember have been NC partagas and cain f 660s. Both totally smokeable cigars, truth be told.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cost has a lot to do with it for me, for instance, if I'm workin on the truck or boat and know I'm gonna get covered in grease an dirt, I'll grab an obsidian or something close to it, since I'm prolly not gonna smoke it to the nub on account of whatever's on my hands is gonna be on the stick, and if I knock it into the dirt, it's no big deal. When I'm cookin on the smoker and hangin out drinkin a bunch of beer, my go to's are undercrown, tatuaje cojonu's, CYB, four kicks, ect.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A lawn 'gar for me is something that i havent smoked but dont have high hopes for also. i purchase a lot of samplers and brown bag samplers, my motto is ill smoke anything once, so even if its a cheap dog rocket ill try it out, thats what i smoke for lawn 'gars.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I have a 100 count humi that is just for yard gars, it contains nothing but AJ Fernandez cigars.
Diesel
Diesel Shorty
MOW Ruination
MOW Side Projects
San Lotano Maduros

These after trial and error have become for me, the perfect yard/dog walk/fishing cigar.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I usually keep the Bahia maduro, el Mejor espresso or some damaged stuff I have. Usually don't want to use the higher price stuff cause it may not get finished. I don't really have a lot of expensive cigars just because I can't afford them. But my coa Brazilian or my 5 Vegas are kept for better enjoyable times. I guess I am a cheap smoker:)
Obsidians make some good yardgars also. But that's just me.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
I wish I could help you out on this but I cannot hold a cigar and do work at the same time. I hate it when I hold a cigar in my mouth and the smoke goes up my nose. To be honest I only smoke when I know I can relax and enjoy it so I don't stock up on much in the way of yard gars. If I'm fishing or had enough booze in me then I'll be sure to grab something that has been damaged in some way so I could care less if it gets ruined along the way.
I will say this though...In the warmer months when I'm on the banks fishing for catfish in the wee morning hours I've been known to spark up a coffee infused cigar as it sooth's the morning pallet and makes me all warm inside. It's the only time I ever will smoke something infused. The Java's seem to be good or even Tatiana's. I keep these on hand because my wife likes to smoke infused cigars and that's the only reason.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I buy a bundle of Casa de Garcia's. These things suck for construction but are tasty for less than $2 a stick. Sometimes I'll throw my yard 'gar down and forget about it then find it later in the day still working in the yard and light it back up. Price and taste are my concerns when it comes to the "knock around" 'gar.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
With Ciggy on the relaxin thing. I don't even drive and smoke. But I've noticed that what some people call yard gars I enjoy and they are for the moment: quick smoke don't really have to pay attention to it just a chill moment readin a magazine and hangin out. Usually price and attainability for me

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
For me its just a smokable cigar that you don't have to pay much attention to. Probably not a lot of changeups in flavor. Lately. It has been a Magna Carta robusto that my wife got me a box of for Christmas.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I usually don't smoke doing yard work, apparently I am not good at multitasking or stopping the smoke from burning my nostrils. When I do I actually do some Acids once in awhile or Copper Label. I don't normally smoke those but I enjoy them for some reason with yard work.

Rating - 100%
153   0   0
My "yard gar" is based on time and what I'm in the mood for. If I'm just cutting the grass then a petit corona or smaller will do. If its a longer project then may be churchill. I smoke what I enjoy and don't let $$$ dictate the cigar ill smoke at any given time.

Mike