What's new

What did you shoot today?

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
.50BMG

It's $3-5 a round versus $6.50+ for the .338LM. I'm also somewhat less inclined to keep blasting after a few boxes or so.
I can see how it could get expensive quickly. But it's gotta be a lot of fun to shoot. What distances do you shoot with the 50BMG and 338LM??

We have a yearly Full Auto shoot in the area once a year open to anyone who wants to experience shooting a full auto. It cost $25 plus the ammo you want to shoot. You get to choose what gun you want to shoot and they have 50-60 to choose from. I have not done it yet, but my gunsmith is one of the organizers and he has told me all about it. I may go check it out next year, it was held 2 weeks ago.

Personally I am more of a precision type (wannabe) type shooter. But 300 yds is the longest range in my area and I am a budget (read cheap) gun owner and I have almost 70 year old eyes. But I have a good time. Ruger American Predator 6.5CM with a Vortex 6x18. With the right ammo, it shoots very well for the price.

I practice mostly shooting .22lr at 50 and 100 yds with an Anschutz MSR, inexpensive Zeiss scope and shooting Lapua Center X.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see how it could get expensive quickly. But it's gotta be a lot of fun to shoot. What distances do you shoot with the 50BMG and 338LM??

We have a yearly Full Auto shoot in the area once a year open to anyone who wants to experience shooting a full auto. It cost $25 plus the ammo you want to shoot. You get to choose what gun you want to shoot and they have 50-60 to choose from. I have not done it yet, but my gunsmith is one of the organizers and he has told me all about it. I may go check it out next year, it was held 2 weeks ago.

Personally I am more of a precision type (wannabe) type shooter. But 300 yds is the longest range in my area and I am a budget (read cheap) gun owner and I have almost 70 year old eyes. But I have a good time. Ruger American Predator 6.5CM with a Vortex 6x18. With the right ammo, it shoots very well for the price.

I practice mostly shooting .22lr at 50 and 100 yds with an Anschutz MSR, inexpensive Zeiss scope and shooting Lapua Center X.
It definitely can add up, especially with a group of dudes. I'm usually pretty content after a box or two with the big ones. I've only taken the .338 out to 700 so far and got the .50 zeroed at 200. One of my clients has two miles of canyon that we're planning to stretch out in though. We'll see how that pans out.

That sounds like a freaking blast. There's one held down in Wyoming we were wanting to get to but my wife was having a rough first trimester and didn't feel too much like road tripping. Maybe next year we can make that our kid's first road trip lol.

That's a fine setup though, Ruger has really stepped up their game with all the fresh interest in poking things a long ways off.

I have a couple .22s myself, but nothing that will really shine past 100 yards or so. I played around with a buddy's Christensen .22 and that was a sweet little shooter though. You rimfire guys just might be on to something.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
It definitely can add up, especially with a group of dudes. I'm usually pretty content after a box or two with the big ones. I've only taken the .338 out to 700 so far and got the .50 zeroed at 200. One of my clients has two miles of canyon that we're planning to stretch out in though. We'll see how that pans out.

That sounds like a freaking blast. There's one held down in Wyoming we were wanting to get to but my wife was having a rough first trimester and didn't feel too much like road tripping. Maybe next year we can make that our kid's first road trip lol.

That's a fine setup though, Ruger has really stepped up their game with all the fresh interest in poking things a long ways off.

I have a couple .22s myself, but nothing that will really shine past 100 yards or so. I played around with a buddy's Christensen .22 and that was a sweet little shooter though. You rimfire guys just might be on to something.
Rimfire certainly has its place in shooting and seems to be growing in popularity with the price of ammo these days. Plus a good shooting rifle doesn't require a large investment, although the rabbit hole can get pretty deep if someone wants the best. I like the fact that it's inexpensive, lower recoil, low noise, and I don't have to walk a long distance to hang or check targets. And with a few like minded folks it is very competitive and fun without breaking the bank. Also a 20 minute drive and I am at a State Conservation range where they even supply the targets for free and it's a very nice facility. I just have to be aware when an idiot shows up and I then call it a day and leave.

I definitely see the attraction to shooting a large bore rifle. My old shoulders just don't like the punch anymore. :)

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Big brother blessed my SBR, so took it out to finally shoot my 11.5 as a proper rifle. Perfect timing before I rip it apart to add an AGB and Surefire 3-prong in preparation for my pending RC2.

Also shot the 14.5 for its last time in its current configuration. Sending the barrel off to ADCO to have them remove the p&w A2X and re-install a muzzle device to host my pending Polonium K. Probably a Dead Air Xeno, but I need to confirm that will make 16” pinned. Will also dump the Micro and go back to a LPVO.

Attachments