What's new

What do you do to clean your palate before starting a cigar?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a beginner but what puzzles me how the same cigar from the same box can be a dog rocket and the next one a holy grail experience because I believe it's how clean or what I drank or ate before starting the cigar.

Anyway what do you do to clean your palate before starting a cigar to make sure the stick gets a fair start?

I now brush my teeth beforehand and drink water or coffee when smoking
Thanks

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Brushing my teeth generally ruins the experience for me. Coffee as well. Mine has more to do with timing

HillbillyPyro

that's what she said
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I'm curious to see what responses you get on this thread. This morning i "quickly, and lightly" brushed my teeth (knowing i was going to smoke) then drank a glass of apple juice and swished trying to get the toothpaste taste out. It seemed to work as i had a good experience as usual with a tatuaje reserva

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
There are countless reasons why two identical cigars from the same box can be completely different. Your palate may have nothing to do with it. Brushing your teeth will adversely affect your palate, as would anything that has a strong flavor or strong aroma (coffee, sugary soda, garlic, onions, etc.)
Other factors that affect your taste of the cigar range from things like your mood, to the condition of the cigar...Lots of stuff besides your palate.

I tend to smoke a cigar while finishing up yard work, and I know for a fact that if I am exerting any energy (raking up even a few leaves) that the cigar will kick my ass. I think it's because my blood is flowing faster, and delivering that nicotine into my system faster than when I am just relaxing with that same cigar.

Rating - 100%
66   0   0
There's a sushi place I go to that serves orange slices after dinner to cleanse your palate. I'd imagine if it works for raw fish, it'll work for just about anything. You might give that a try before smoking and see if it helps.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After I brush my teeth I wash my mouth out with water and it seems to help, I have a friend that has a piece of chocolate that he swears works for him.
Thanks for the help brothers!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always try Saltine crackers.
My favorite is to sip on Baily's Irish Cream.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
I don't worry about it too much, but I don't intentionally eat or drink anything I think is going to detract from the taste of the cigar if I'm panning on smoking in the near future. I've drank any number of things when smoking including water (probably most frequently), soda, coffee, bourbon, rum, beer, and hot chocolate without any real ill effects (though sometimes a beverage will overpower a particular cigar and so I'll have to switch it up). And Clint is right, there's a number of different factors that could explain why one cigar from the box is excellent and the next not.

Dan

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Gargle and rinse with Bourbon.:thumbsup:
This may seem like a teaser but it's true. Bourbon, full bodied spirit tends to wash away any of those "tastes" we already have in our mouths prior to having a cigar. Brushing before smoking usually implies using a paste and that will tend to change how we taste after. Sometimes just not changing anything and having our cigars first is fine...then afterwards brushing our mouths and tongue is a good plan.

Rating - 100%
33   0   1
I agree with bourbon (or scotch). And chocolate has worked for me in the past, though I don't usually try it... Mainly do to the fact that I'm most likely already drinking bourbon.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I've never done anything before smoking a cigar. I've found that cheaper smokes will be inconsistent. Toothpaste and cigars would just be bleah. I think you're trying to hard. Grab a smoke and light it up.

I have found though that if a do get a bad smoke on a brand that usually is good if I nibble on some dark chocolate it helps.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

BrittS88

Banned
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
After I brush my teeth I wash my mouth out with water and it seems to help, I have a friend that has a piece of chocolate that he swears works for him.
Thanks for the help brothers!
I usually eat a square of dark chocolate. Because its delicious lol. And I just feel like its a familiar taste so it helps me identify if im tasting anything else.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Sparkling water for me.

I've also learned that while I love burritos, I have to wait awhile for the spices to cool down otherwise it ruins any cigar.

Rating - 100%
179   0   0
Only tried it once, but had sone oj in between and was shocked how well it 'cleansed' my pallete. Great tip from Funke JJ.