What's new

What Do You Do When You Crack The Foot?

What Do You Do With A Cracked Foot Wrapper?

• Light it up anyways...Hope for the best.

Votes: 120 85.7%
  • Try and cut just past the crack.

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Roll a fattie paper around the wrapper like a bandaid.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Toast the wrapper, then light the foot.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • Throw the sumbitch in trash and suck up the loss.

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
I don't know if it's the weather or a run of bad luck, but lately I've been having some real issues either recieving cigars with cracked foots or doing it myself while handling. I get really pissed when this happens and sometimes it can be pretty severe. I sometimes wonder what to do with it, but usually I'll give it the ol college try regardless. I've had the cigar correct itself, keep cracking for another inch while smoking, and even keep cracking up to the band at which point my cigar enjoyment has long been ruined.
So what do you do when this happens

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I usually leave it go. If you get some pectin and a donor cigar you can glue some wrapper on to prevent the cracking. Unless the crack comes to a intersection with a strong vein then you're pretty much screwed with out some sort of adhesive.

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
I'll 'wet' the end of it before lighting it up. My theory is that once lit, the filler will begin to expand which could turn a cracked foot into a split running the length of the stick, so I'll 'wet' the end to hopefully make it a bit more elastic and slow the burn a bit so the 'heat-shock' doesn't make it worse. Does that make sense? Lol.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I'll 'wet' the end of it before lighting it up. My theory is that once lit, the filler will begin to expand which could turn a cracked foot into a split running the length of the stick, so I'll 'wet' the end to hopefully make it a bit more elastic and slow the burn a bit so the 'heat-shock' doesn't make it worse. Does that make sense? Lol.
It makes sense to me as I do the same thing. Seems to do the trick.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
I have done this on occasion, but I'm referring bad cracks and torn wrappers that have fallen away or shredded.

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
Smoke it!

I remember I dropped a Queen B & popped it. Split the wrapper all the way up to the band. So I lit it up & smoked it. Was a little 'airy' at first, but eventually came around & it wasn't a complete loss.

On another note - I don't understand why anyone would 'toast' the wrapper before lighting - it seems to me that it would only make a dry or damaged stick worse. If the stick is too wet, don't smoke it - pick out another stick until the 'wet' one is at an appropriate humidity. I think this is one of those practices that comes from the days of taking a crappy stick & dipping it in congac to improve the flavor, then 'toasting' the wrapper to either burn off the alcohol and/or ensure an even light... Again - just a theory.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Many of the Pepin/Johnson sticks do this to me with cracking feet. I just torch like normal and prey for the best. Smaller cracks seem to self correct. Larger ones the crack can sometimes continue or make smoking impossible. Dry cold weather makes things worse for sure.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
If it is just the foot I blaze that bitch right on up. I have on several occasions repaired a hole in a wrapper with a piece from the cap I cut off. A small bottle of pectin has saved many a cigar for me.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Usually I curse and hop around on the other one :laugh:. Ah, lame I know. I usually torch it up, I've never had a massive crack though...I'd probably try to patch it with some Pectin and smoke it at a later time :dunno:.

Dan

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
speaking of pectin. Where's a good place/brand to get some?
I've heard you can get it at the supermarket. It's used for thickening jams and preserves.

Personally I've been using this stuff ever since I stumbled across it at my local B&M:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Credo-Torcedor-Cigar-Repair-Glue/dp/B001CZF1M4"]Amazon.com: Credo El Torcedor Cigar Repair Glue: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41vFL4mdMnL.@@AMEPARAM@@41vFL4mdMnL[/ame]

-Charles

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Watchin MNF this week I had an '09 858 Rosado that had an inch or so long crack at the foot. Didn't know it until I took off the cedar. I just lit it and smoked away....no issue at all. Surprising for how bad the crack was.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Yea, the cold weather sucks for cracking.

I 2nd the advice for some pectin / "cigar glue." I always have some on hand, and it saves me so many cigars. There have been a couple times that I should have taken before and after pictures, because I've taken some totally shredded sticks and made them into perfectly smokable cigars again.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Yea, the cold weather sucks for cracking.

I 2nd the advice for some pectin / "cigar glue." I always have some on hand, and it saves me so many cigars. There have been a couple times that I should have taken before and after pictures, because I've taken some totally shredded sticks and made them into perfectly smokable cigars again.
How do you match the donor cigar/wrapper to the one that is being repaired? and does putting donor tobacco on affect the flavor at all?

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
How do you match the donor cigar/wrapper to the one that is being repaired? and does putting donor tobacco on affect the flavor at all?
I usually don't bother with a patch. I just get it all glued down enough so it won't run or "bloom" while it's burning.

-Charles

Sent from my T-Mobile G1 using Tapatalk