What's new

What do you want to hear from a cigar podcast?

Slidzero

Belicoso Brother
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So here's the deal, my friend and I are starting a cigar podcast, but we keep debating about what "segments" we should include. Should we do just reviews? Should we talk about industry news? How can we include listeners?

We are up in arms about this. So this is where you guys (or girls) come in. If you were to dedicate 30 - 45 minutes of your time a week to listening to a podcast about cigars what would you want from it? What would you want to hear?

I've done research and there are not many quality cigar podcasts out there. One great one being Dogwatch Radio. There is only one (Dogwatch) that records on a regular basis.

So let me hear it. What would you want?

Regards,

Zach Roesch

sportsmedjosh

CRA Member: 211528
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I don't think I would want to watch a 30-45 show that is a huge undertaking including editing. I think you would be best to start with a good chunk maybe 10-20 minutes and if you feel you need more time just do more episodes. I hate to find a podcast I like to find out they don't have any more topics of it's a long time in between episodes. I would like video as well.

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
reviews are always good. new product introductions. words or interviews with people in the business. and i agree with time limits.

Slidzero

Belicoso Brother
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As of now a video podcast is not an option since we live in different towns and do not have the technological capability between us to do video right now. We do hope to move in that direction eventually. Thanks for the awesome input! Keep it coming!!

Zach

diesel

Banned
Rating - 91.9%
78   5   1
I would like to hear about a 10,000 box Opus party announcing the news of the lifted embargo !!!

And also some interviews, up and coming events, new release info, regular interviews with everyday smokers, embargo details, shameless BOTL.Org advertising .....

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
I was thinking about doing one my self... like a "Newbie cigar podcast"

30-40 mins is a lonnnngggg time.
I don't think I could watch the whole thing.

something like 15-20 seems much more viewer friendly. You have to compete with Lost for my attention.

I'd like to see reviews, news and maybe some fun trivial cigar related stuff you know...
Discuss some of the most wanted cigars... HTF etc...

Wagz

Großartig Hurensohn
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Reviews are obligatory... and news about upcoming releases - special, limited or otherwise would be very nice.

Good luck with the venture!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need something new.. Maybe humidor reviews, cigars and health (cigars calm you down, help with migrane headaches, probably other things as well). Good luck.

-Chip-

Slidzero

Belicoso Brother
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was thinking about doing one my self... like a "Newbie cigar podcast"

30-40 mins is a lonnnngggg time.
I don't think I could watch the whole thing.

something like 15-20 seems much more viewer friendly. You have to compete with Lost for my attention.

I'd like to see reviews, news and maybe some fun trivial cigar related stuff you know...
Discuss some of the most wanted cigars... HTF etc...
Just a point of clarification...We will not be doing as video podcast as of yet. We hope to do this in the future but for now it will be radio format only.

Keep the replies coming!!

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Slidzero-
If I was you, I'd concentrate more on content than timeframe. I don't think you're focusing on it too much, it's just my personal preference for a podcast I listen to. If the guys are on a roll & the topic is interesting, talk for an hour. If the info is boring & you have said your peace; kill it at the 10 minute mark.
Be regular with your recording & publishing times but don't worry so much about run time. Look at some middle Dogwatch's. Around episode 75 or so they (I believe) were still planning on only a 1 hour show. They would get carried away & easily go past their predetermined 1-hour length. I used to love the shows that got away & ended up being 90 minutes-ish.

I'm getting sidetracked...

Talk cigars, talk cigar politics, talk cigar people. Two major things that I'd love to ALWAYS hear more about are cigar places (real stories about great places to vacation focusing on cigars or herf with them) and Cigar stories. I happen to love when a topic on the boards spirals away from where it started & ends up with some members sharing great stories about their experiences. These two topics have one thing in common besides cigars; passion. Passion is contagious and makes for good radio.

Good luck!!!

Rating - 94.5%
85   3   0
It is always interesting to hear reports on what the current "buzz" is on the forums or elsewhere. There is almost always rumors of a new stick or something going on that would be interesting to report on and, if possible, confirm or deny.

Rating - 100%
78   0   0
It is always interesting to hear reports on what the current "buzz" is on the forums or elsewhere. There is almost always rumors of a new stick or something going on that would be interesting to report on and, if possible, confirm or deny.
X2

I was going to say something similar and stuff that I don't know about. Boutique stuff, up and comers, etc. I'm a sponge and just want to learn.

Also industry stories, or stories of cigar superstars, Q&As... stuff like that.

Slidzero

Belicoso Brother
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So for the first episode I have Jon Huber, Director of Lifestyle Marketing for CAO, lined up. Are there any questions that you would like us to ask him? About CAO, CAO's cigars, cigars in general? Let me hear it.

p.s. The first podcast is slated for June 1st.

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Well, do you want to light him up or just do a PR stint? If you're up for a journalistic approach, ask him why his cigar blends seem to change after about 12 months from release. Or ask him what their strategy will be after the embargo is lifted (and since they're owned by a company that legitimately can start negotiating this right now). Ask him what his favorite cigar is OTHER than any CAOs. If he says he only smokes his own, ask what it was before he was hired. Ask how CAO is addressing their marketing & PR strategies with the new digital media that has emerged in the last 5 years, i.e. podcasts, blogs, etc. Ask what the blend of the CAO Millenium was now that its been a decade since its release. Tell him that the reason you ask is that it has been said to be the best CAO product ever to come to market (hey, I'm saying it here now, aren't I!). Ask how CAO cigars age. Ask if they're intended to be aged. Ask ow their strategy has changed since being sold last year, i.e. is a corporate company turning things in a different direction than a "small" family owned business that they had been for all those years.
That's about it for now.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
#1) EDITING!! Most Podcasts at way too long and way too boring, edit it down to under 30 minutes, and put them out more frequently as opposed to longer and less frequently.

#2) Reviews of multiple cigars...but something creative. Maybe a theme of the show (morning stogies, "most Cubanesque", etc.). Offer food/booze/wine paring ideas.

#3) They have to be funny and entertaining or no one will watch! Only famous people or those with awesome info can afford not to be funny.

#4) Industry rumors. There are entire websites in many industries that are based solely on rumors. Look for things here and there, look for rumors about the companies you're reviewing that week.

#5) Contests, contests, CONTESTS! People will listen if they think that they might win something. Figure out a cool way to do a contest every show...a free 5-er of the stick(s) you're reviewing...something.

#6) Guests on the show. Bring cool stoggie industry people on. Bring on a tercerdor and have him/her show us how to roll a cigar, etc.

[You'll likely have to start out offering your own stuff, then as you get viewers you should be able to score promos both for reviewing and for giveaways.]

Good luck!