What's new

What else am I missing?

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Thank you everyone for the encouraging responses. I'm going to order a couple cob pipes tonight and use those before I use the Stanwell. I never even thought that I could char it. Is there a big difference between straight or bent pipes or is it all cosmetics? And I would greatly appreciate it if someone can explain that 3-in-1 tool for me!

With regards to the pipe, I'll be sure to take more pictures tonight. As for selling it, keep dreaming!

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Oh btw- my advice is to start with cobs as said above. You WILL fuck up your first pipe. Just the way it is
true that, and cobs are still life savers, but do you care? i mean, i don't want you to ruin your first briar, burn the damn thing out. then again, if you are the kind of person who likes worn denim, broken in leather, a good chair that fits you better than anyone else, a little rim darkening (or even char) might make it feel that much more "yours". your call. i am all for caring for my tools, but they're mine first, and they're there to do a job.

3-in-1 tool: for tamping and cleaning the pipe, and possibly clearing the shank of blockages (i think? little metal rod but never did get used by me). the flattened circle is used to tamp down the ember upon first light, and adjust the ember and tobacco throughout the smoke. the spoony bit is for clearing ash and unsmoked tobacco (dottle) from the bowl.

straight versus bent: 80% aesthetic. straight pipes can often pass a pipe cleaner through the stem to the bowl, allowing cleaning during a smoke (if it gets wet), and full bent rarely can do this. but with cobs it's moot: the stems of cobs are too narrow to pass a lot of pipe cleaners anyway. also, some bend changes the center of gravity, making it easier (functionally lighter) to clench in the teeth during smoking, while straight stems can act heavier than they are. but mostly, your call.

smokingIsh

BoM July '09
Rating - 100%
171   0   0
Dammit, thanks to this thread I just ordered some corn cob pipes and several tins to try.
Welcome to the dark side... What tins did you get?
Sutliff ps academy
Sutliff ps great outdoors
Sutliff ps Balkan luxury blend
Dunhill Nughtcap
Carter Hall

I smoked a pipe in college and puffed on carter hall, the others were a shot in the dark.

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Dammit, thanks to this thread I just ordered some corn cob pipes and several tins to try.
Welcome to the dark side... What tins did you get?
Sutliff ps academy
Sutliff ps great outdoors
Sutliff ps Balkan luxury blend
Dunhill Nughtcap
Carter Hall

I smoked a pipe in college and puffed on carter hall, the others were a shot in the dark.
A shot in the dark? I'm not sure of the sutliff, but if they're like any others I've had by them, you've nailed it. The nightcap though? Freaking bullseye there!!!

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Also, check out the pipe maw thread along with the what's in your bowl thread. There are a lot of blends that keep popping up. After you get hooked on the pipes, your next order can be picked from there.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
A few pics as promised, though a little late.

There was just a little bit of tarnish on the metal ring around the shank. So what did I do? I took some toothpaste to it and proceeded to remove part of the "S". Dick.

I bought two of those BNB groupons, $49 for $100. Putting together another nice sampler for myself. I also picked up the Drew Estate 7 tin sampler for a fairly reasonable price.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Great start looking way better then what I started with 25 years ago. Captain Black is a good daily go to and when the dark came out bought a case already smoked it all. Right now I like them all besides gold some on rare days.

Anyway how is your pipe smoking going? How do you like it? Still at the pipe? I smoke both Cigars and pipes however now days 90% is pipes.

James