Votes: 40 6.7%
  • Other

Votes: 49 8.2%

• Total voters

mr.drybones

"The Lung Crusher"
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
67% - 70%. I keep mine in a tupperware container with plenty pieces of cedar to impart its charm. after 20+ years ive tried it all...desktop humi's, stand up, hybrid material construction humi's...electronic, manual. bead, gel humidifiers. i like the gel best. monitoring is simple, the humidity is oh so consistant (67 - 70) year round. i keep my humi in a dark room in my basement because the temp varies so little down there. of course the tupperware isnt much to look at and ive been made fun of for it but every stick comes out just perfect and ready to smoke. ive had some collectors in there for 3 years now and there is not a speck of mold nor any imperfections to the wrapper ( weve all seen what massive fluctuations in humidity can do to our puros ). you decide...if you like to smoke your cigars you might like to try this method to see for yourself. if you like to show off your cigars and rarely finish one then i reccomend the most expensive humi you can afford - you can brag about how much it costs too! anyhow, enjoy another one!

cashedash

illusione
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have 70% beads coming in the mail. I think should have gotten 65 or 60 though. I guess I will just have to open it more and stare at them.

:chat:

RobustoMoe

No1 CC blanket bomber
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I check my humidity on daily basis, but I am obsessive :crosseyed

I have 2 humidors:

The Cuban is standing on the Habanos SA recommended 70%
While My NC/DC humidor is standing on 68% "This mornings peek"

Both have the puck-ifier 70%

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If I want my RH @ 65% lets say, does it matter what the actual temperature is?

For example, if I had 65*/65% or 70*/65% or 75*/65%.........Is there one temperature that is ideal or does it not matter b/c my RH is at 65%?

I see some humis plugged in and some not and the temps are all over the place, just curious if temperatue really mattered as long as your getting your ideal RH numbers?

Hope this makes sense :)

Bart

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
If I want my RH @ 65% lets say, does it matter what the actual temperature is?

For example, if I had 65*/65% or 70*/65% or 75*/65%.........Is there one temperature that is ideal or does it not matter b/c my RH is at 65%?

I see some humis plugged in and some not and the temps are all over the place, just curious if temperatue really mattered as long as your getting your ideal RH numbers?

Hope this makes sense :)

Bart
Relative Humidity is just that, relative to Temperature. For example, air at 70 deg F/70% RH has the same moisture content as air at 78 deg F/53% RH. So if you live in a warm climate and your house (and humi) sits at 78 most of the summer, your humi should be around 53% RH. I've tried it, and my cigars smoke and taste better than if I keep the humidor RH higher than that in the summer. I'm not set-up to keep my humi cooler than the rest of the house. Not ideal, but not a problem, either.

I'll try posting a chart next week of equivalent 70F/65RH conditions at various temps. Maybe such a thing already exists, I have not looked. But yeah, temp does matter when discussing RH.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Had the beads for about a week now, holding steady at 65, amazing stuff! With the gel my desktop would fluctuate between 66 and 75 as i'd constantly have to move the crystals in and out of the humidor. Since putting in the beads the RH has been rock steady, they've certainly lived up to the hype.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
ICG - FAQ's (Variable Humidity Myth)

http://www.cigargroup.com/faq/#5.0a
Sorry, ain't buying it. There are some completely false statements here. "At 70% relative humidity (a measure which by definition is independent of temperature)..." is completely wrong. The physics explanation attributed to the medical doc about why warmer air can hold more water molecules is incorrect as well.

Psychometrics tells us that air at 78 deg/70% has 1.3 times more moisture than air at 70 deg/70%. Could that be it, cigar tobacco needs more moist air when stored at higher temps? No, the author states that the interaction of the cigar tobacco with the moisture in the air is "independent of the ambient temperature".

About the only way to make this argument work is to say cigar tobacco has the same physical properties as air. I doubt it.

Again, saying "70% RH" without an accompanying temperature means nothing. I think he has the "urban myth" moniker backwards in this case.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sorry, ain't buying it. There are some completely false statements here. "At 70% relative humidity (a measure which by definition is independent of temperature)..." is completely wrong. The physics explanation attributed to the medical doc about why warmer air can hold more water molecules is incorrect as well.

Psychometrics tells us that air at 78 deg/70% has 1.3 times more moisture than air at 70 deg/70%. Could that be it, cigar tobacco needs more moist air when stored at higher temps? No, the author states that the interaction of the cigar tobacco with the moisture in the air is "independent of the ambient temperature".

About the only way to make this argument work is to say cigar tobacco has the same physical properties as air. I doubt it.

Again, saying "70% RH" without an accompanying temperature means nothing. I think he has the "urban myth" moniker backwards in this case.
Because relative humidity (at say 70%) rises with temperature, I'd say cigars do require more moisture in the air when stored at higher temperatures. This doesn't mean you cannot say 70% RH without a temperature.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because relative humidity (at say 70%) rises with temperature, I'd say cigars do require more moisture in the air when stored at higher temperatures. This doesn't mean you cannot say 70% RH without a temperature.
Question? So my hygrometer is measuring moisture only and RH would have to then be calculated from an RH chart? Can I assume likewise that my humidistat is adjusting itself to the moisture content alone and is not regulating relative humidity? If this is true then I should be constantly adjusting my humidistat up and down according to the RH chart depending on the temperature.

My humidistat swings between 64% & 66% as it turns on and off, maintaining a 65% average. My walk-in temperature swings from the low 60's in winter to near 80 in the summer and I have not experienced any noticeable changes in my cigars. Either this temperature thing is a mute point or I am just not very observant (which is certainly a possibility).

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Question? So my hygrometer is measuring moisture only and RH would have to then be calculated from an RH chart? Can I assume likewise that my humidistat is adjusting itself to the moisture content alone and is not regulating relative humidity? If this is true then I should be constantly adjusting my humidistat up and down according to the RH chart depending on the temperature.

My humidistat swings between 64% & 66% as it turns on and off, maintaining a 65% average. My walk-in temperature swings from the low 60's in winter to near 80 in the summer and I have not experienced any noticeable changes in my cigars. Either this temperature thing is a mute point or I am just not very observant (which is certainly a possibility).
At 60* the air will hold less water then at 70*. Whatever you use is going to try to keep the air at 70% (or 65%) relative humidity. If the temperature goes up then the amount of water per foot of air is going to go up as well.

If you wanted to keep your cigars at say 65% absolute humidity, you would either have to keep a tight control over temperature or constantly adjust the humidity.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 60* the air will hold less water then at 70*. Whatever you use is going to try to keep the air at 70% (or 65%) relative humidity. If the temperature goes up then the amount of water per foot of air is going to go up as well.

If you wanted to keep your cigars at say 65% absolute humidity, you would either have to keep a tight control over temperature or constantly adjust the humidity.
But isn't that what the humidistat does? I suspect that it would have to run much more if the temp was low, attempting to keep the moisture content at it's set point.
So, no worries as long as I monitor the hygrometer?
Humidistat above the humidifier. A small fan helps to avoid stale air pockets and move air across the humidistat.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
But isn't that what the humidistat does? I suspect that it would have to run much more if the temp was low, attempting to keep the moisture content at it's set point.
So, no worries as long as I monitor the hygrometer?
Humidistat above the humidifier. A small fan helps to avoid stale air pockets and move air across the humidistat.
I haven't come across one of those, so my guess would be it just keeps up relative humidity. It will have to work harder to keep it at 65* at lower temperatures.

Unless you're able to set it for a specific amount of water per cubic foot of air, that'd be cool.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be interesting to monitor the amount of water used. I could keep a graph on consumption / temperature / time. It would for sure reveal the differences between summer and winter months. I'll just need a small water meter that can measure a trickle and install it in the supply line inside the humi. The supply starts here and goes through the wall and up to the humidifier.