What's new

What in your 9mm?

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
What ammo do you carry in your 9mm handgun? It seems like there are several to choose from. I used to carry a 380 and then switched to a 357mag for a couple of years. And a while back I bought a 9mm, been practicing with it when I can and am ready to start thinking about carrying it. So, you guys that carry a 9mm, what do you have it loaded with?

Thebutcher

testing testing.....is this thing on?
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Federal HST or Speer Gold Dots; 124+p or 147 standard pressure (Whatever is available.)

All good choices I also like the hornady XTP's
I was using Speer Gold Dots also,the local LEO's were issued them for duty.i always thought that would be a good defense in court if you were involved in a shooting it you could answer the question "why'd you choose THAT ammo " to say it was what local cops use.
Just thinking out loud here

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I have Hornady XTP for my 9mm. I use to carry gold dots but I can find the hornady easier at my local shop.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Pennywise827

Hot Ketchup
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
All good choices I also like the hornady XTP's
I was using Speer Gold Dots also,the local LEO's were issued them for duty.i always thought that would be a good defense in court if you were involved in a shooting it you could answer the question "why'd you choose THAT ammo " to say it was what local cops use.
Just thinking out loud here
Actually that is exactly what an NRA attorney would advise.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
As a noob in this arena of CCW and even with a 9mm, can you tell me why you choose the brands that you do? Is it just based on availability in your area or is one better than another? If yes, I'm sure one is better than the other based off of your firearm and not you as the shooter, right?

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
As a noob in this arena of CCW and even with a 9mm, can you tell me why you choose the brands that you do? Is it just based on availability in your area or is one better than another? If yes, I'm sure one is better than the other based off of your firearm and not you as the shooter, right?
HST and Gold Dot are pretty much the gold standard. Bonded HPs check all of the right boxes, and those grains and pressures behave appropriately. There's a few others that perform equally, if not better, but are generally much harder to find (e.g., Ranger).

Some guns are more sensitive to bullet weight and will preclude the shooter from switching between the two. That should be the only major difference.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
HST and Gold Dot are pretty much the gold standard. Bonded HPs check all of the right boxes, and those grains and pressures behave appropriately. There's a few others that perform equally, if not better, but are generally much harder to find (e.g., Ranger).

Some guns are more sensitive to bullet weight and will preclude the shooter from switching between the two. That should be the only major difference.
Thanks man!

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I currently have the Hornady Critical Duty 135g because I have read that is what the FBI issues. And I picked up some Federal HST Law Enforcement because that is what the local police use. Plus the Federal was $30/box of 50.
I figure both have been through rigorous testing and should do its job if needed. I also have read they rounds are designed to be used in full size pistols, why I'm not sure.

iam6884

Layne
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Hornady Critical Duty 135g is what's in my daily carry. That said, 115g is quite a bit easier to recenter, especially if you're just getting started.

Thebutcher

testing testing.....is this thing on?
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember hollow point ammo is (Safety ammo) it is designed to enter the bad guy expand and STOP.
So as not to over penetrate and hit innocents behind him it was not designed to kill or mame.
The fact that it stops and delivers all its energy in the target dose all the damage the real purpose is to save innocent lives,
But it has been incorrectly demonized as killer ammo.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Just remember hollow point ammo is (Safety ammo) it is designed to enter the bad guy expand and STOP.
So as not to over penetrate and hit innocents behind him it was not designed to kill or mame.
The fact that it stops and delivers all its energy in the target dose all the damage the real purpose is to save innocent lives,
But it has been incorrectly demonized as killer ammo.
X2

Stupid Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Here's a video I watched recently from Lucky Gunner about ballistics and self defense ammo. It includes interviews with people from Federal/CCI/Speer who help design things like HST and Gold Dots.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Speer Gold Dot 147gr for me. I would also run the 124gr in a pinch but always prefer heavier bullets per caliber.

I also have a good amount of Hornady Critical Duty (Duty, not Defense, the Critical Defense does not perform as well).

I would be willing to use Federal HST but have never run it. I wouldn’t run anything other than the three above unless something unusual was going on, but I’ve stockpiled these options so I will hopefully continue to be unaffected by shortages as they arise.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have many guns in 9mm and my favorite self defense ammo is the Corbon DPX 9mm +p 115gr. It is a solid copper bullet, which always expands unlike some other bullets which can become clogged with fabric, soft material at lower velocities. Another plus for the DPX is that it retains almost 100% of its weight and tends to not fragment. The all copper bullets also make very impressive wound channels due to the way that they expand and stay together. I have also started using this ammunition for my 45ACP 1911 pistols and it is great.