What's new

What is a good shaving kit to start with?

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
I didn't want to get the shave thread gunked up with requests for good starter kits.

What are your recommendations for someone that wants to get into the hobby but doesn't want to go overboard right away (if I hate it)

Suggestions? Any compete kits worth trying? best place to pick one up?

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I just hoped on Amazon. Bought a Handle, blades, brush, soap (and cream to try both) and preshave oil for under 100. You could buy less blades, and go with either soap or cream and save some $$.

If you go to the "Fashion and Fitness" section, there is a bunch of talk about how to jump into it.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I would build my own "kit" (and have) but it depends on how much you want to spend. Here's what I did (FWIW):

There is a difference between a Summer hair badger brush and a Winter hair badger brush. BUT I don't think there is enough of a difference to warrant paying more for the Winter hair. The Winter hair brush is thicker and fuller but a quality brush is going to last you for years if you take good care of it.

Make sure you get a stand. Doesn't have to cost a lot - I have one that looks like this and I think I paid about $10 for it. It's purpose is to keep the brush's bristles pointed down so that the brush can dry properly. Otherwise, the hairs can rot and fall out.

I like a safety razor, specifically the Mach III. It's nothing fancy (in fact, it's pretty common) but it's a matter of personal preference and you have to go with what works for your skin and its sensitivity.

For cream, I love the Sandlewood cream from The Art of Shaving. It's expensive but it's also concentrated so you pay more up front but, by the time you use it up, you'll not have spent much more than buying the equivalent amount of cans of foam. Also, make sure you get a pre-shave oil (almost eliminates any razor burn on my skin) and an after-shave balm. This isn't the pain-inducing pretend-cologne that our grandfathers used, but a lotion that will soothe your skin afterward. My preference is the cucumber after-shave cream from eShave.com.

If you want to go for a complete kit, check both The Art of Shaving (they have B&Ms as well as online) and eShave.com.

As I think about it, the reason I enjoy a good shave is the same reason I've become enamored with cigars: it gives me some quiet personal time and forces me to slow down during what is otherwise a usually hectic day.

HTH,

Rob

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I'd second ebarbershop as well. The other thing to do is check if your city has a Art of Shaving B&M. There is one in the Western 'burbs of Chicago and they offer in-store shaves, too. That way you can actually test their shave creams before hand. I don't mind dropping $30 on shaving cream if I know it's going to be really good and will last a long time.

Like buying many things on the Internet, if you don't get to try it first, then spending any amount of money is a crap-shoot.