What's new

What is in your Bug Out Bag (BOB)?

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I am building my bug out bag. I want to know what is in your bags. I am adding clothes, and other standard stuff. I need ideas. I added a Blast match, small metal mirror, a compass and a four foot length of surgial tube today. I have got 200 feet of para cord, an Onterio Raider Bowie and a Ka-Bar. I have enough room for 2 3liter camel backs in the bag. So i will take all the ideas that I can get.

Last edited:

Agentskull

BoM Feb 14
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
multiple ways of making fire. water pouches like the platypus that fold down to nothing when empty are more valuable to me than the camel packs. they also make filtration systems for them. other ways for clean water. depending on the duration you plan on being away. hi energy bars and gels. depending on location you might want light weight rain gear or cold weather gear. a tarp can be attached on outside of bag for a basic shelter. i don't have a BOB but i keep basic survival items like these in my climbing pack. oh no cotton clothing likes to trap moisture. sorry have eight month on lap or i would punctuate and elaborate more. one handed typing is a bit slow.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
MRE's

A crack-powered portable radio

Multi-tool

Addresses and phone numbers of relatives and friends

Map of the area to where you're bugging out

Traveldor
I am going with a Crack-Power radio as well. Well meth might work better in the country. Lol

Thanks for the morning laugh. ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
MRE's

Multi-tool

Traveldor
I am going with a Crack-Power radio as well. Well meth might work better in the country. Lol

Roff! The radio will run for 3 days straight but then will crash.

As far as fire making stuff goes, I have had great luck with cotton balls coated with Vaseline. I put them in an old RX bottle an leave em in each car I use. Once you get a spark near them (blast match will work fine), they will burn for a long time! Long enough to start something bigger. I'm sure there are better options out there, but these are plentiful and proven (at least for me).

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
MRE's

Multi-tool

Traveldor

Nice! not going back and changing it now, everybody can keep getting a chuckle at my expense. :)

Last edited:

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
As far as fire making stuff goes, I have had great luck with cotton balls coated with Vaseline. I put them in an old RX bottle an leave em in each car I use. Once you get a spark near them (blast match will work fine), they will burn for a long time! Long enough to start something bigger. I'm sure there are better options out there, but these are plentiful and proven (at least for me).
dryer lint...

its free... will ignite as well (or easier) than the cotton balls.. and if you are careful when you pull it off the dryer filter.. you can remove it in long/wide sheets..

carefully roll it up and store it in a tube of some sort (small can works great).. then you can unroll it and use as large or as small a piece as you need to get your fire started..

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
I keep an empty pipe tobacco tin filled with crushed block sulfur and one with crushed quick lime. Mix the two and put it on some kindling, add water and watch it burn. You can also use the quicklime to heat cans of food and for defense as an irritant. One good blast will almost instantly blind an attacker, if he inhales it his lungs will begin to fill with fluid. The same is to be said about accidental exposure to eyes and lungs, be careful with this stuff it was the primary ingredient used to make Greek Fire.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Couple 10year mres, 100' of od paracord, leatherman multi tool, hand crank flashlight/radio, hand crank pump for jacking gasoline, couple exra glock mags, 12' by 12' tarp, emergency blanket, waterproof matches, extra cloth diapers for the little one, a military surplus field medic kit and a colapsable 5gal jug.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I just bought some contractor 55 gallon trash bags and a lengh of tubing(so i can get gas). I recieved my new blastmatch, metal signal mirrors and whisltes.

carholio

Carl
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
All the ideas mentioned so far are good. I didn't hear anyone mention a firearm? I like having my little p22 ready. It's quiet and you can carry a brick of ammo without too much added weight.

Me - i've long since given up on the bug out idea. My kids are grown and they know how to get to me if they wanted to. I'm going to stay put with a full liquor cabinet, humidor, pantry - and lots and lots of bullets. I'll die here defending my homestead. In a real SHTF situation the roadways are going to be so clogged up no one will get anywhere. So, if you must leave, look into buying a dual purpose motorcycle.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
The first item I need is the actual bag 😊
Are you guys using civilian back packs or mil spec stuff? I have a bunch of stuff but nothing to put it in yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
a mil bag just draws attention when you are not bugging out (IMHO)... and makes you a target when you are... I dont want my bag to look like anything other than something Ive just got some stuff in... no reason to lead people to the conclusion (whether correct or not) that there would be anything "military" or survival related in my car or on my person.. (something they would want)...

I've got a pretty nondescript north face pack that I use.. far more comfortable to hump than my old ALICE pack.. much lower profile.. and honestly, is better made/designed.. I dont travel domestically or internationally looking like anyone that is or was ever mil.. I dont use sea-bags (army duffle), aviator kit bags, or anything "tactical" looking. with PALS webbing all over it, etc.. I dont wear 5.11's or camo.. etc...

When I actually get to "the field".. different story..

but when in transit (or bugging out).. I want to be as low profile as I possibly can be.. the last thing I want is extra attention..

my small pack (stays in the car):

my large pack (much more extensive BOB).. :

Last edited:

carholio

Carl
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
The first item I need is the actual bag ��
Are you guys using civilian back packs or mil spec stuff? I have a bunch of stuff but nothing to put it in yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The pack that you choose will depend on what you want in it. Me, i have one of these http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/JUMBO-E-D-C-S-TYPE-VERSIPACK-4p1650.htm. Like i said, i won't be bugging out. However, the bag i have is big enough to carry what i think i might need to get me back home. Typically, i'm never more than 50 miles from my house. I would suggest you get a bag that blends in with your surroundings. I big camo military style bag may stand out a little if you live in the city. But a simple laptop bag probably won't be noticed or seem out of place.

smokem94

BoM Sept. 05
Rating - 100%
147   0   0
Roxborough Park CO, Soon to be Wapiti, Wyoming
I have pretty much everything you would need as a bug out bag. I added to my elk hunting pack and it is good to go BUT I too have decided not to bug out. I will stay home and fight! We are up against the mountains and National Forest and in a pretty good defensive spot as well as being farther from the Denver metro area. Guns, ammo, food, and water at the house so it's fight to the death.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
a mil bag just draws attention when you are not bugging out (IMHO)... and makes you a target when you are... I dont want my bag to look like anything other than something Ive just got some stuff in... no reason to lead people to the conclusion (whether correct or not) that there would be anything "military" or survival related in my car or on my person.. (something they would want)...

I've got a pretty nondescript north face pack that I use.. far more comfortable to hump than my old ALICE pack.. much lower profile.. and honestly, is better made/designed.. I dont travel domestically or internationally looking like anyone that is or was ever mil.. I dont use sea-bags (army duffle), aviator kit bags, or anything "tactical" looking. with PALS webbing all over it, etc.. I dont wear 5.11's or camo.. etc...

but when in transit (or bugging out).. I want to be as low profile as I possibly can be.. the last thing I want is extra attention..

Dave that is a great point. My first instinct was to go back to what I know and used, which would lead me to all mil spec stuff. I will re-think that now. Carl I like that little versipack, I may have to get one of those to carry on the kayak for emergencies.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0

I totally get the idea of not using a mil bag. where i live it is not a big deal. i like the size(large), i like the MOLLE points. The more i work on this project, it really makes me wonder just how important everything is. I am the one that has to hump the weight. There is so much to think about.