What's new

What old PC games were you into ?

Zedman05

Fiend4theLeaf
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I am wondering if anyone else out there was blasting their early years through some dubious titles.

I started out in 99' with Quake III Rocket Arena; my damned brother got me hooked (the funny thing is that he could have been a professional gamer) and always destroyed me. Played that for a couple years.
Moved to Medal of Honor Allied Assault where-in I found some great fun, but ran into too many people accusing me of cheating. I don't know about anyone else, but when you go from ultra-fast twitch responsive gaming like Quake III RR, to a slower paced combat game like MOHAA, it becomes like watching paint dry after a while.
In 03' I found Americas Army....fell in love and the rest is history :inlove: No really, I loved the game for the fact that it was free and I didn't have a lot of money. It was a great game that I basically saw from the first patch up until about 07/08' ish.

I really loved watching the developement of all these games from just typing your conversations on screen to the clunky voice-over apps, to full out multi-conversations in your ear. Plus the internet speeds getting better and better just made things so much better.

I have tried COD's, CS's, Battlefields, console gaming, and console driving. Nothing seems to do it for me anymore, and that makes me very happy as I was about as close as you come to being addicted to video games for certain periods of time. I love the fact that I can actually hang with my kids and family without wanting to do something else....oh damn....I think cigars have taken the place of games hahahaha.

What are your old time positve memories/gaming experiences ?

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Man let me take you way back to castle Wolfenstien 3D, yeah old school shooter. Hard to believe that i thought the game looked good, well it did for the times. Also played the crap out of Civilization II. the rest of my gaming memories are on the NES and SEGA console systems. Still like to go and play some of the old games and remember that games were about gameplay and not how pretty the graphics are.

Baldanders

Jim AKA Patty
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Pools of Radiance on my old IBM 286 back in 1988 was the 1st PC game I was addicted to. Played other games in the series until Wolfenstein 3D come out. Also Diablo 1 and 2, Quake 1,2 and 3, Starcraft, Might & Magic, Ultima, Wizardry, Duke Nukum and many more.

CAJoe

King Dude
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Oregon Trail, I killed many animals hunting! Wolfenstein, Duke Nukem, Quake, and Doom were all fun. Mario Bros. 3 is still one of my favorites. Diablo 1 still is my tops and close by is Diablo 2. Cannot forget Red Alert as well.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Around the Duke Nukem time, Sierra Online (iirc) created a series of role playing adventures where you would absorb a character and play the game out to the end. When they got really huge, they came on like six floppy disks (yup, the 5 1/4" ones!!).

Liesure Suit Larry was my favorite, but Police Quest and Space Quest were up there too...

Man that takes me back!

-Fauzi

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think I've played them all at one point or another... pong, the early console systems (Fairchild Channel F, and Atari 2600,5800,7200), Kings Quest, Police Quest, Ultima, Castle wolfenstein (both versions, there was a bad ass DOS game before the version most people know),Descent, Quake, Doom, Duke Nukem, Half-Life... But the first games I remember playing were Zork, and a dos game called Sopwith.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Wow! This takes me back...

Put me in the Wolfenstein 3D and Duke Nukem era! Always heard friends talking about Leisure Suit Larry, but never got to play it.

My friend copied Wolfenstein 3D for me... I think I had 12 - 3.5 floppies for that game! LOL (Since he didn't pack the files... just a straight copy). LOVED the hell out of that game!! Drove me crazy trying to find all the secret doors, rooms.

mthhurley

BoM December 2011
Rating - 100%
208   0   0
Quake III Arena here as well. We used to play at work across the LAN with the IT admins...pretty much anytime more than 6 of us played, we brought the LAN to a screeching halt stopping like 100 people from working. Yea....that got us in trouble a few times.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Wolfenstein, Duke Nukem, Oregon Trail.... Does anybody remember Scorched Earth?? I remember killing hours blowing up relatives tanks in that one. I also remember several crappy pinball variations released on 5 1/4" floppies.

Awesome reference on Leisure Suit Larry above, I believe that even continued on with xBox.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Pools of Radiance on my old IBM 286 back in 1988 was the 1st PC game I was addicted to. Played other games in the series until Wolfenstein 3D come out. Also Diablo 1 and 2, Quake 1,2 and 3, Starcraft, Might & Magic, Ultima, Wizardry, Duke Nukum and many more.
Oregon Trail, I killed many animals hunting! Wolfenstein, Duke Nukem, Quake, and Doom were all fun. Mario Bros. 3 is still one of my favorites. Diablo 1 still is my tops and close by is Diablo 2. Cannot forget Red Alert as well.
I think I've played them all at one point or another... pong, the early console systems (Fairchild Channel F, and Atari 2600,5800,7200), Kings Quest, Police Quest, Ultima, Castle wolfenstein (both versions, there was a bad ass DOS game before the version most people know),Descent, Quake, Doom, Duke Nukem, Half-Life... But the first games I remember playing were Zork, and a dos game called Sopwith.
Was there on all of these...Even at my age, I still love gaming!

Zedman05

Fiend4theLeaf
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
AzCigarnut; I remember Colecovision. We had Coloeco and my cousins had Atari. It was the best of times back then playing Buck Rogers dodging asteriods down the tunnel. BUT the best gaming console I think that deffinitely paved the way was the OG Nintendo. One of the coolest parent moments that a kid can relate to was my Mom and I playing Legends of Zelda for hours after all my school work was done. It was just really great to have a common interest with your Mom outside of them watching us at sports.
I remember the days of the 286 being too slow, then hearing about the "amazingly fast and new 333".
It's cool how many of us spent time playing the same games, I wonder how many of us met in one of our online adventures?
I was always either Z^ in Quake and Americas Army or FienD^ in Quake.

TheDudeAbides

I got an awesome sound...
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
Y'all are forgetting about King's Quest. Pretty sure that was the grand-daddy of all those leisure suit Larry, space quest etc. Fallout was the one that first really grabbed my attention. Played it again not that long ago, still awesome.
-Dude

WkndSmoker

Short Story
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Diver Dan..anyone play this? I remember I recieved my first computer, a Pentium 75 back when that was the newest thing, my buddy had this on a 386, could barely control old dan on the, "new," Pentium computer.

Doom, Wolfenstein, Scorched Earth, Street Rod 1 and 2, Diablo 2, Blood, Duke Nukem 3D "still play this on XBOX 360 arcade," NASCAR Racing by Papyrus, Quake, Roller Coaster Tycoon, Microsoft Flight Simulator, Command & Conquer.

Currently I sim with Flight Simulator X, play Duke Nukem 3D on the Xbox arcade, played Roller Coaster Tycoon up until 2006, lost my disk somewhere in a move, and still play Street Rod 2 from time to time. These games are timeless IMO.

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Played a ton of america's army. Stupid fun game. Played up until around the time 3.0 dropped, then stopped playing. Career, hockey and other hobbies took over.